Any Good Comics?

Discuss anything vaguely M&M related here, such as comics, movies, and action figures.
thaumonuclear
Comrade
Comrade

Any Good Comics?

Postby thaumonuclear » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:34 am

The general consensus is that Marvel and DC are both going down the tubes lately.

How about a more positive thread to discuss what good comics other companies are putting out.

I've been following Invincible for a while, but the gore associated with the realistic portrayal of people that strong punching each other is starting to turn me away.

I've generally been enjoying IDW's GI Joe, and started looking at Atomic Robo (not sure if that's going to work for me).

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Any Good Comics?

Postby Arkrite » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:50 am

IDW's recent Ghostbusters run has been a lot of fun.
Tends to stay fairly true to the movie characters, refferences the recent video game, and lots of visual refferences to the "Real Ghostbusters" cartoon/toys in the backgrounds if you're paying attention.
I thought it was funny and well written, but I was a huge Ghostbusters fan when I was a kid so I may be biased.

Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Shock » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:59 am

Brian Vaughn's Saga is excellent.

savijmuhdrox
Henchman
Henchman

Postby savijmuhdrox » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:08 am

I've been enjoying John Byrne's TRIO (only like 3 issues so far); there's something old school about his work, using more descriptive text to set the scene is very refreshing for me.
For a healthy dose of stupid, @Railbended

Thakowsaizmu
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Thakowsaizmu » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:11 am

Batwoman has been good. Demon Knights has been a good fantasy comic. Although it's only on issue one, the Pathfinder comics seems pretty good too. I have been enjoying Dynamite's The Spider, as well as Aspen's new Homecoming. I'd love to say that I am enjoying Lady Mechanica as well, but they never bring those out.
♀♥♀
百年如石、一點如漆

Jraven56
Hireling
Hireling

Postby Jraven56 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:43 pm

http://jl8comic.tumblr.com/

web comic formerly known as little league...but apparently baseball said no. So the creator is currently moving the strips over to here. Anyways...funny strip with some nice pathos. DC should hire this guy.
Someone told me to write a blog about movies and RPGs...So here it is

Jameson
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Jameson » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:10 pm

Shock wrote:Brian Vaughn's Saga is excellent.

Seconded!
Forty six and two are just ahead of me.

Read my M&M product reviews here

Mr Mole
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Mr Mole » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:48 am

savijmuhdrox wrote:I've been enjoying John Byrne's TRIO (only like 3 issues so far); there's something old school about his work, using more descriptive text to set the scene is very refreshing for me.

I hadn't stumbled across this one yet... I picked up the first three issues on Comixology yesterday... Too early to say how I feel about it for sure... Reasonably solid Byrne stuff, so people will either love it or hate it... The FF homage, including having a flying, aquatic villain leading a leviathan and a giant alien who wants to destroy the planet, makes me chuckle... And "Rock, Paper, Scissors" makes me wonder where "Lizard" and "Spock" are going to fit in... Nothing brilliant so far, but I wanna see where it leads...

DSumner
Hero
Hero

Postby DSumner » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:26 am

savijmuhdrox wrote:I've been enjoying John Byrne's TRIO (only like 3 issues so far); there's something old school about his work, using more descriptive text to set the scene is very refreshing for me.

I ordered the first two issues at my comic shop, and I'm waiting for the back order to come in. How is the book over all?
"There is no such thing as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Death is certain, life is not."

savijmuhdrox
Henchman
Henchman

Postby savijmuhdrox » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:38 am

DSumner wrote:

I ordered the first two issues at my comic shop, and I'm waiting for the back order to come in. How is the book over all?

It's not a glossy, everyone-is-sexy-looking finished book. There's a roughness to it that reminds me of old school comics stories and the thing that gets me is the way the narrator tells the story or sets up a scene, which, to me at least.. is like the equivalent of lighting a fire before sitting down to watch a movie or read a book.. It really gives the book a charm. If i had a an issue in front of me i'd give you an example, but alas, i'm at work.

I can also say that three issues in and the story is still working its way up from villain to big villain to even bigger villain.. and we hardly know anything about the heroes.. who are they? who came before them? some people may not like such ambiguity but i'm all for it.. i find it a bit refreshing.

though i'm interested to see what other people who have checked it out think.
For a healthy dose of stupid, @Railbended

King Snarf
Paragon
Paragon

Postby King Snarf » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:42 am

Mr Mole wrote:

I hadn't stumbled across this one yet... I picked up the first three issues on Comixology yesterday... Too early to say how I feel about it for sure... Reasonably solid Byrne stuff, so people will either love it or hate it... The FF homage, including having a flying, aquatic villain leading a leviathan and a giant alien who wants to destroy the planet, makes me chuckle... And "Rock, Paper, Scissors" makes me wonder where "Lizard" and "Spock" are going to fit in... Nothing brilliant so far, but I wanna see where it leads...

Byrne's often underrated today. Granted, when his stuff is bad, it's BAD (*cough*Genesis*cough), but usually, he's at the very least a decent writer/ artist. Even his Wonder Woman run, I felt, was more good than bad.
Arriba Flight es muy macho!

Visit my blog! http://teentemplars.blogspot.com

Visit my author page!

Darrin Kelley
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Darrin Kelley » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:05 pm

Transformers ReGeneration One

It is something special.

Mr Mole
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Mr Mole » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:55 pm

King Snarf wrote:Byrne's often underrated today. Granted, when his stuff is bad, it's BAD (*cough*Genesis*cough), but usually, he's at the very least a decent writer/ artist. Even his Wonder Woman run, I felt, was more good than bad.

Byrne's had a hand in some of my absolute favorite comic book runs ever... I don't love everything he does, but when he's on a roll, he's very good... The only person active in comics in recent years that I'm likely to think more fondly of is Busiek... Most everyone else is a really mixed bag...

Return to “Sidekicks Lounge”