S.H.I.E.L.D. TV Series by Whedon

Discuss anything vaguely M&M related here, such as comics, movies, and action figures.
The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Re: S.H.I.E.L.D. TV Series by Whedon

Postby The_Watchman » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:30 am

Mr Mole wrote:I really hate to say it, because I think it was a good episode... But they telegraphed most of the "twists"... Not too obviously and not far in advance, but the clues were all there. Without getting all spoiler-ish, there was only one character I was incorrectly suspicious of. :roll:

I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. A well-done twist should have the clues in place so the viewer has a chance to figure it out before the reveal (and so re-watchers can see the clues through hindsight). Some of Winter Soldier's twists were unexpected but were very well telegraphed, especially if you know the comics. A good twist should play fair with the audience, even if it takes advantage of the audience's expectations.

I hope part of the new dynamic includes adding Agent Triplett to the team. I enjoyed what we saw of him here and he was a more interesting combat agent. According to imdb, he's at least in the next episode so fingers crossed.

Also, Patton Oswalt next week.
"This is all your fault! You shouldn't have taken that cat! You don't teleport into strange metal places and steal pets!"
Builds

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby The_Watchman » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:28 am

So Marvel is now getting poster art commissioned for each of the remaining episodes apparently. Here's the one from Turn, Turn, Turn.

"This is all your fault! You shouldn't have taken that cat! You don't teleport into strange metal places and steal pets!"
Builds

Mr Mole
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Mr Mole » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:49 am

The_Watchman wrote:I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.

I'm not trying to say it was entirely a bad thing... It was a pretty good episode... But I already watched Buffy (and Angel). Coulson's team is looking even more like the Scooby Gang after "Turn, Turn, Turn" than it was before.

There's some mix-n-match with the details, but in general...

Skye = Buffy
Coulson = Giles
May = Cordelia (with Buffy's powers)
Ward = Angel
Fitz = Xander
Simmons = Willow

Without tossing out spoilers, the big twist at the end totally fits the pattern. I was suspicious of one of the other characters, as it would've been an even bigger twist and some dialog about someone becoming a "better liar" made me raise an eyebrow... But I figured it out well ahead of the actual revelation.

Kyle
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Kyle » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:31 am

I wish I could see what you all are talking about when you say this was a good episode; I thought it was clunky and predictable. AoS has been trending upwards in terms of quality over the last few episodes, but this instalment was merely average, meaning still not very good.

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:11 am

The_Watchman wrote:So Marvel is now getting poster art commissioned for each of the remaining episodes apparently. Here's the one from Turn, Turn, Turn.

Because writing fiction is hard.... So lets just make posters instead. Weeeeeeeeeeeeee, I'm playing with glitter :roll:
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby The_Watchman » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:16 am

saint_matthew wrote:
The_Watchman wrote:So Marvel is now getting poster art commissioned for each of the remaining episodes apparently. Here's the one from Turn, Turn, Turn.

Because writing fiction is hard.... So lets just make posters instead. Weeeeeeeeeeeeee, I'm playing with glitter :roll:

You continue to be my favorite cereal urine content tester, Saint :lol: I like the poster and it's nice to see Marvel studios doing some talent crossover with their comics branch (since the posters are done by artists working for Marvel). Maybe next they could get some writers involved...or maybe not. Unless they're going to drive a dumptruck of money up to Greg Rucka's house.
Builds

Monolith
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Monolith » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:57 am

Interesting article on tvguide.com about the ending. About how it was planned all along and the various clues that were dropped since the beginning. :)

kingk
Cohort
Cohort

Postby kingk » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:58 pm

I enjoyed the hell out of that episode until the last twist. I'm tired of the goddamn secrets between members of the main cast. I thought, for once, we might have them all on the same page and really being allies, but apparently that's not gonna happen any time soon. Honestly, the twist managed to lose some of the goodwill it had gained during the course of the episode.

ghostman76
Luminary
Luminary

Postby ghostman76 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:10 pm

I really loved these last couple of episodes. Without delving into major spoilers, the only thing that would irk me would be if the twist at the end were to be reversed. I like what happened, and I hope it sticks. It certainly gives that character some greater degree of depth, and I think they'll make a better villain than hero.
"One must first experience pain in order to be able to appreciate it's absence."

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby The_Watchman » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:13 pm

ghostman76 wrote:I really loved these last couple of episodes. Without delving into major spoilers, the only thing that would irk me would be if the twist at the end were to be reversed. I like what happened, and I hope it sticks. It certainly gives that character some greater degree of depth, and I think they'll make a better villain than hero.

Yes. The words that would undo a lot of my current goodwill toward AoS are "triple cross" (or possibly "deep cover mole"). Either way, I don't think the character we're referring to will survive to season 2. If there is a season 2 and this wasn't deliberately intended to be a one season show.
Builds

Mr Mole
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Mr Mole » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:51 pm

There are any number of ways the character-who-must-not-be-named could change sides yet again and again. Deep cover, although the extreme actions of said character make me doubt it. Some sort of mind control/brainwashing, although that's pretty cliche. Said character could be an LMD imposter. :mrgreen:

Monolith
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Monolith » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:58 pm

Mr Mole wrote:There are any number of ways the character-who-must-not-be-named could change sides yet again and again. Deep cover, although the extreme actions of said character make me doubt it. Some sort of mind control/brainwashing, although that's pretty cliche. Said character could be an LMD imposter. :mrgreen:

The TVGuide interview makes it clear said character was supposed to be evil from the beginning.

Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:48 pm

What kills me is that we're dancing around the spoilers while TV guide and Yahoo are simply putting up flimsy spoiler alerts and then puking out all the details...

Monolith
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Monolith » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:59 pm

Bladewind wrote:What kills me is that we're dancing around the spoilers while TV guide and Yahoo are simply putting up flimsy spoiler alerts and then puking out all the details...

I find this on the forum to be strange too. It seems to me if people don't want spoilers they shouldn't go into thread about the subject. Everyone else shouldn't be penalized for wanting to talk about something already out.

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:52 pm

The_Watchman wrote:You continue to be my favorite cereal urine content tester, Saint :lol: I like the poster and it's nice to see Marvel studios doing some talent crossover with their comics branch (since the posters are done by artists working for Marvel). Maybe next they could get some writers involved...or maybe not. Unless they're going to drive a dumptruck of money up to Greg Rucka's house.

I think the point I was making at stupid-awake o'clock was I'm not impressed with the creation of posters to support a sub-par tv program. Its marvel, they make so many posters already that the creation of new posters for each episode of this show is not at all impressive. Its the safety scissors & glitter because you can't be trusted to do real work with the rest of the class approach.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

Return to “Sidekicks Lounge”