S.H.I.E.L.D. TV Series by Whedon

Discuss anything vaguely M&M related here, such as comics, movies, and action figures.
Kit
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

S.H.I.E.L.D. TV Series by Whedon

Postby Kit » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:03 pm

Disney and ABC recently announced a desire for a TV series set in the same universe as the current run of Marvel films.

Whedon to create series
You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
And now and then stab, as occasion serves.

--Christopher Marlowe, Edward II, Act II, Scene I

Thakowsaizmu
Zealot
Zealot

Re: Marvel cinematic universe TV

Postby Thakowsaizmu » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:45 pm

I hope it is on par with DC's animated shows
♀♥♀
百年如石、一點如漆

Mr Mole
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Mr Mole » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:04 pm

Thakowsaizmu wrote:I hope it is on par with DC's animated shows

I'd be pretty happy if it's as good as Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes... Which was, overall, a pretty good show and is now over and done with, presumably to help make way for a new series... I'm making the assumption that they're looking at an animated series, rather than live action, but I didn't see that it was expressly pointed out in the article one way or the other... I have a tough time imagining a live action show coming close to living up to the movie (soon to be movies), but it might be possible, if they throw enough money into it... Doubtful they'll go that route, but it's not like Whedon's a stranger to making TV shows...

Kit
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Postby Kit » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:13 pm

My understanding is that this is to be a live action series. The animated replacement for Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes is a different series.
You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,

And now and then stab, as occasion serves.

--Christopher Marlowe, Edward II, Act II, Scene I

Thakowsaizmu
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Thakowsaizmu » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:20 pm

I may have just assumed that it said animated. They want to make a live action TV series? That actually has the potential to be very cool. I just hope they don't use Smallville as a model. (And maybe we'll get that Generation X TV show...)
♀♥♀
百年如石、一點如漆

JetstreamGW
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby JetstreamGW » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:11 pm

Who the balls would be in it? o.O

They couldn't possibly afford Downey and Jackson and alla them... could they? For Television? I need more information!

My initial thought would be an X-Men series, but they don't own the rights to that so they can't... Fantastic Four would work too, but that's impossible... Anything Cosmic would be too expensive I'd imagine, and only Silver Surfer is mainstream enough and again, no rights...

I... I don't get what they'd DO here.

badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Postby badpenny » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:24 am

Power Man and Iron Fist! I loved their episode in A:EMH and they'd barely need a budget better than Alphas to pull that off. It's got all the elements: buddy action duo, episodic cases, jobber villains...hilarity ensues!

HappyDaze
Luminary
Luminary

Postby HappyDaze » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:13 am

If it's Whedon, expect it to be centered around a bad-ass teen girl. Not sure who in Marvel fits that best right now.

Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Shock » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:21 am

X-23 or Spider-girl would be right up his alley.

badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Postby badpenny » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:38 am

Anyone they could afford for TV would need name recognition to carry such a banner. Even someone like Daredevil (who'd also be great for TV since you just need a martial artist and minimal SFX) isn't a household name. I think that would be a good move: position DD for television so they could come back with a big movie rather than trying to come back from the last movie which under performed for them.

I'm of two minds about this: they could introduce someone unknown and hype the Marvel aspect hoping people will tune in because of that name recognition (not the character but the company), or they go with a recognizable character (but then I feel they're going to be hampered by budgetary constraints).

The bottom line is going to be money, NOT good storytelling.

Thakowsaizmu
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Thakowsaizmu » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:51 am

Shock wrote:X-23 or Spider-girl would be right up his alley.

I would watch every second of either of those! Both of those characters are so great! (Just don't have Summer Glau play X-23)
♀♥♀
百年如石、一點如漆

Mr Mole
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Mr Mole » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:04 am

badpenny wrote:Power Man and Iron Fist! I loved their episode in A:EMH and they'd barely need a budget better than Alphas to pull that off. It's got all the elements: buddy action duo, episodic cases, jobber villains...hilarity ensues!

I thought the same thing... Heroes For Hire was the best fit of the dozen-or-so possibilities that came to my mind... I'm sure there's something better that hasn't occurred to me just yet...

Thakowsaizmu wrote:
Shock wrote:X-23 or Spider-girl would be right up his alley.

I would watch every second of either of those! Both of those characters are so great! (Just don't have Summer Glau play X-23)

X-23 is perfect for Whedon... Except for the huge X-Men tie-in, who may or may not be off limits...

badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Postby badpenny » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:34 am

The main problem I see for someone like X-23 is I think blades/claws/etc would be too violent for TV. While you can have someone shooting people every week with a gun, gutting people with her claws wouldn't go over well for the Standards & Practices crew. I mean, I don't think this is going to be on HBO....

Arcane Guyver
Partisan
Partisan

Postby Arcane Guyver » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:31 am

I think they could pull this off if it was focused on street-level characters (as mentioned earlier, Heroes for Hire + Daredevil, Jessica Jones - Punisher? - and of course Misty Knight & Coleen Wing) or, to truly embrace how predictable network TV is, go with the law enforcement angle - SHIELD.
www.fistfullofcomics.com

Don't beg for things; do it yourself, or you won't get anything.

Jameson
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Jameson » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:41 am

The rights to Punisher and Daredevil lie at other studios, and rumor has it that Marvel has been offering an extension on the Daredevil rights in exchange for reclaiming Silver Surfer and Galactus (all of whom are at Fox if memory serves). Likewise we may be unlikely to get any X character for similar reasons (though that does depend on how that contract is written).
Forty six and two are just ahead of me.

Read my M&M product reviews here

Return to “Sidekicks Lounge”