Thor: The Dark World - November 8, 2013

Discuss anything vaguely M&M related here, such as comics, movies, and action figures.
Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Re: Thor: The Dark World - November 8, 2013

Postby Bladewind » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:27 am

I had a few moments in the film where I actually appreciated the divergence from the comics. I've looked at my collection of Thor comics (not my largest collection, mind you, but still.) My biggest "fear" for Thor movies is that I don't see how they can possibly work as written in said comics...

Then they added the tech element to Asgard. And his diction was simply an accent and not Shakespearean. They took names and images that we would recognize as the characters, wrote them as said characters and went in a completely different direction. One so far off that it works for me...

I only have one gripe though... I think they screwed up the realms. Unless the fight simply took place in Niflleheim, the elves realm IIRC is Svartalfheim...

Actually... I have two gripes. The other was Dr Solveig running around... well I won't spoil it... :|
But considering those are my two biggest gripes, I`m quite pleased. :D
Last edited by Bladewind on Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

witchfire
Zealot
Zealot

Postby witchfire » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:36 am

i loved it !!!!!

and finaly Thor felt as powerfull as he's suposed to be : in the London fight
whenever he hit Malekith with Mjolnir i felt how hard those hit were
Some people struggle daily
They struggle with their concience
'Til the end
I have no guilt to haunt me
I feel no wrong intent

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby The_Watchman » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:20 am

Bladewind wrote:Then they added the tech element to Asgard. And his diction was simply an accent and not Shakespearean. They took names and images that we would recognize as the characters, wrote them as said characters and went in a completely different direction. One so far off that it works for me...

This to me is what has made the Marvel Studios films so good overall. They find the core of the character and leave that unchanged while jettisoning less essential elements to replace them with more film-appropriate elements. It's like the exact opposite of Man of Steel.

I really like the "ancient, nearly immortal aliens that play at being gods" style of the Thor films. It was already kind of there in the comics but the Thor movies have taken it into a full on combination of Kirby's Thor and Kirby's New Gods. This movie felt like a Kirby and/or Simonson comic brought to life.

I also enjoyed the little references thrown in like Volstagg and his family. I could definitely go for a full movie about Sif and the Warriors Three or even just an extended short.
"This is all your fault! You shouldn't have taken that cat! You don't teleport into strange metal places and steal pets!"
Builds

Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:10 am

[quote="The_Watchman It's like the exact opposite of Man of Steel.
[/quote]

Heh. Spot on.

Also doesn`t hurt that Marvel trailers tend to tease whereas DC gives away the whole freaking movie... :roll:

As for the Warriors Three and Sif.... ditto.

Don`t want to be the one to spoil the end teasers, but the first one. Damn.

ghostman76
Luminary
Luminary

Postby ghostman76 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:04 pm

Bladewind wrote:Don`t want to be the one to spoil the end teasers, but the first one. Damn.

I know right?! I feel like Marvel is able to continue to surprise us with this stuff because we as fans are still in a period of disbelief where we just can't believe that all this stuff is still happening. I never thought we'd live in a world where really good Thor movies were made. I never really gave any thought to an Avengers movie that had all the major characters in place that satisfied like it did would happen. It's just too big...it'd be too expensive...they'd never get actors to agree to contracts to play the characters that many times....

And yet Marvel is just doing it. It's simply amazing.

And for me, who at my core is a DC guy....more than a bit bewildering. I love the Marvel stuff I'm getting, but dammit I want a Dr. Fate movie. I want a Flash movie. I want to be looking forward to a Superman and Batman meeting on film for the first time...not fearing it.
"One must first experience pain in order to be able to appreciate it's absence."

Mr Mole
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Mr Mole » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:13 pm

ghostman76 wrote:I never thought we'd live in a world where really good Thor movies were made

What?!? You mean The Incredible Hulk Returns from back in '88 didn't make the grade? Sure, Thor didn't get top billing in that one... But still... :roll:

Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:16 pm

I hear you.

On the expense of actors, it`s also the touches and nods to their other movies that is fun.

Samuel L Jackson's appearances, Robert Downey at the end of the Hulk, Hugh Jackman in First Class (I don`t care that it`s a differnt production studio). There`s one in Thor as well, sorta, but I ain`t spoiling it.

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby The_Watchman » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:31 pm

Bladewind wrote:Hugh Jackman in First Class (I don`t care that it`s a different production studio).

I could honestly believe First Class was a Marvel Studios production as it seemed to draw quite a bit from the model used for those movies. Unfortunately, Days of Future Past seems to be scrapping that. With Winter Soldier and Days of Future Past having trailers shown before Thor, the contrast could not be more obvious.
"This is all your fault! You shouldn't have taken that cat! You don't teleport into strange metal places and steal pets!"
Builds

Return to “Sidekicks Lounge”