Thor: The Dark World - November 8, 2013

Discuss anything vaguely M&M related here, such as comics, movies, and action figures.
Kit
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Thor: The Dark World - November 8, 2013

Postby Kit » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:42 pm

Title and release date announced
You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
And now and then stab, as occasion serves.

--Christopher Marlowe, Edward II, Act II, Scene I

Flying Cobra
Zealot
Zealot

Re: Thor: The Dark World - November 8, 2013

Postby Flying Cobra » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:09 pm

Malekith, anyone?

Wonder if they'll touch on Asgardian dwarves or any of the other 9 realms?

Or possibly Hela and Hel...

tomorrow
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby tomorrow » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:03 pm

Yeah, it seems like it will be Malekith (at least as one villain).

There was mention earlier that Mads Mikkelson was being approached to play one of the villains, though he ended up bowing out. Looking at pictures of him... I'd say Malekith. Especially with the whole "The Dark World" title and the fact that Casket of Ancient Winters played a decent part in the last film.

The question is Malekith and who else? Kurse? I mean, presumably in addition to a schemer the movie will have a physical opponent because... well, its Thor.

Actually, the original story arch with Malekith and Kurse could probably be easily adapted, just subbing in Jane for Lorelei as the "damsel" whose capture forces Thor to battle Kurse. I could actually see that working. The film could touch on the precarious situation that BOTH the sons of Odin have left Asgard in and continue to place Asgard in. Loki tried genocide and invasion on two of the other Nine Realms. He's no good for taking over when Odin goes nap-nap. Thor has fallen for a human and taken to being a defender of Midgard, which gives the powerful races of the other Realms huge leverage (as kidnapping Jane and forcing him to fight Kurse would show). He's no good to rule either. He might be willing to destroy the Bifrost and never see Jane again... but his actions indicate he probably wouldn't put Asgard's interests over saving her life or saving Midgard. And yet, based on the first film and some of the comments in the Avengers... Odin will soon sleep... and someone has to rule.

Of course, given the tie-in factor, I'm sure an end credit scene will probably show Thanos somehow pulling the strings behind it all, perhaps in hopes of taking Thor out the equation for the next attempt on Earth.

All just inane postulation of course. :P

HappyDaze
Luminary
Luminary

Postby HappyDaze » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:17 pm

tomorrow wrote:question is Malekith and who else? Kurse? I mean, presumably in addition to a schemer the movie will have a physical opponent because... well, its Thor.

There's also that Troll, Ulik(?) if they want to broaden things. I personally like the Enchantress & Executioner team for the schemer/physical mix, but they might not fit this film the best.

King Snarf
Paragon
Paragon

Postby King Snarf » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:01 pm

You know, if the next batch of films are all leading up to space and Thanos and what have you, then I am hoping against hope that we get Beta Ray Bill at some point.
Arriba Flight es muy macho!

Visit my blog! http://teentemplars.blogspot.com

Visit my author page!

King Snarf
Paragon
Paragon

Postby King Snarf » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:41 am

Reports are that Christopher Eccleston will be the film's bad guy, Malekith the Accursed.
Arriba Flight es muy macho!

Visit my blog! http://teentemplars.blogspot.com

Visit my author page!

thaumonuclear
Comrade
Comrade

Postby thaumonuclear » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:55 am

King Snarf wrote:Reports are that Christopher Eccleston will be the film's bad guy, Malekith the Accursed.

Fantastic!

Kit
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Postby Kit » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:08 pm

I'm cautious. Eccleston is awesome but he has a tendency to play crappy villains in crappy films
You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,

And now and then stab, as occasion serves.

--Christopher Marlowe, Edward II, Act II, Scene I

tomorrow
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby tomorrow » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:28 pm

Well, we can hope he brings his A-game as it were.

Thakowsaizmu
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Thakowsaizmu » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:24 pm

So, who's seen it? I thought it was pretty good.
♀♥♀
百年如石、一點如漆

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby The_Watchman » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:34 pm

Thakowsaizmu wrote:So, who's seen it? I thought it was pretty good.

I thought it was a much better realization of Thor than the first film. It felt like a true epic space fantasy film. There were a few weak points, in particular Maleketh's very weak characterization, but overall it was quite enjoyable. Jane is entertaining but her interaction with Thor is more comedic than the epic romance the plot seems to want. The action certainly satisfies and most of the side characters get some great moments but I left wishing for more.
"This is all your fault! You shouldn't have taken that cat! You don't teleport into strange metal places and steal pets!"
Builds

ghostman76
Luminary
Luminary

Postby ghostman76 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:45 pm

I really liked the first Thor movie a great deal. To me, it had issues, but the fact that it was a Thor movie...and it worked....was amazing to me. A few of my gripes about the first movie were that I thought Anthony Hopkins totally phoned in Odin, and I thought Asgard looked a little too squeaky clean. I know it's supposed to be a realm of beings so advanced they are practically gods, but it just looked a little too much like a set to me, and that the scope was a little small in that the lion's share of the movie takes place in a small town in Arizona.

Things I loved about the first movie were Chris Hemsworth as Thor, Tom Hiddleston as Loki, and the fact that Volstagg wasn't a complete idiot like he had been portrayed in the comics at the time.

The sequel turned around and fixed just about every one of my gripes. The world feels fuller, richer, and with more depth, and Asgard does have more of that Star Wars "lived in" feel. Anthony Hopkins was much better as Odin this time, one of the things I've always liked about Odin is that he's not a completely benevolent guy. He has flaws, and a temper, and he hates having his authority questioned. There's more of that in this movie. The scope is much bigger, and the story has a fair amount of twists and turns. I also felt like The Warriors Three, Sif, and Heimdall were given more to do this time around as well.

Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston are again the best things about the movie. To me, Loki has been the best villain in any of the Marvel movies....by a long shot, and that is all owed to Tom Hiddleston. He owns this role in the same way that Downey owns Tony Stark. I can't imagine anyone else doing it anymore, and this is coming from someone who after Thor and Avengers, thought he might suffer from Loki-fatigue! This isn't the case however, because the story gives Loki a lot to do, and both Hiddleston and Hemsworth seem to genuinely enjoy playing these characters, which really shines through.

It's not all perfect though. Malekith is woefully underdeveloped, and I've heard rumors that a lot of his backstory was cut out of the movie for pacing, which is unfortunate because it leaves him as not much more than a snarling stereotype villain rather than someone who has a legitimate ax to grind against Asgard. Kurse also has problems. I was not impressed with his look, and his big fight with Thor was underwhelming.

Other than that though, I thought the movie was great, and had a good mix of humor, action, character beats, and just plain fun. I'd give it 3.5 out of 5 stars.

Also, there are two after credits bits. I really want to talk about them, but I detest spoilers.
"One must first experience pain in order to be able to appreciate it's absence."

Thakowsaizmu
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Thakowsaizmu » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:49 pm

ghostman76 wrote:Also, there are two after credits bits. I really want to talk about them, but I detest spoilers.

I was honestly surprized that when we went to see it (Saturday) we were the only people to stay for either of the after credit bits.
♀♥♀
百年如石、一點如漆

ghostman76
Luminary
Luminary

Postby ghostman76 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:28 pm

Thakowsaizmu wrote:I was honestly surprized that when we went to see it (Saturday) we were the only people to stay for either of the after credit bits.

I was very pleased with the crowd I saw it with. I've been very fortunate in that I originally hail from Atlanta, and have now moved to Chicago. Both have high nerd populations so it's not uncommon to see people cosplaying on opening nights and such. There were a couple of fangirls a few rows up from me who were having a prior to the previews discussion about who was cooler...Loki or Black Widow. And there were several cheers and laughs at the proper beats. I love to see a flick with a lively crowd that's into it.
"One must first experience pain in order to be able to appreciate it's absence."

Mr Mole
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Mr Mole » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:44 pm

Haven't seen it yet. Up to this point, my hopes that I'd enjoy a Thor sequel were pretty low. The comments I've read here have me feeling a bit more optimistic. I didn't especially love the first movie, but it wasn't bad. If the sequel is as good as the first, I'll be most pleased. If it's in any way better, I'll be ecstatic. :mrgreen:

Return to “Sidekicks Lounge”