[Green] Arrow TV Series

Discuss anything vaguely M&M related here, such as comics, movies, and action figures.
Stormson
Groupie
Groupie

Re: [Green] Arrow TV Series

Postby Stormson » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:49 am

Setothes wrote:I'm thinking the lack of rational motivation might have something to do with the Mirakiru making Slade crazyflakes and irrational.

This, plus (at least at this point) it has never been explained that (and possibly Ollie doesn't realize) that the only reason he "chose" sara was that Ivo pointed the gun at her first. If Im recalling the scene correctly.

But I more chalk up slade's motivation and lack of logic to the fact the serum was fundamentally personality altering, by all appearances.

I also liked the episode thanks to lack of Laurel (lol) but also that it was obviously just a set up episode for later in the season.

Who was the priest? Im not up on my Green Arrow lore and wondering if he was from the comic.

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:28 pm

Stormson wrote:But I more chalk up slade's motivation and lack of logic to the fact the serum was fundamentally personality altering, by all appearances.

Yeah that doesn't cut it for me.... You are rational or you are irrational. You don't get to be irrationally crazy, but rationally sane enough to set about making this plan of his.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

kingk
Cohort
Cohort

Postby kingk » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:04 pm

Stormson wrote:Who was the priest? Im not up on my Green Arrow lore and wondering if he was from the comic.

I thought it might have been Ratcatcher, given his handling of the rats, but I've checked and according to Arrow Annotations its an original character.

tomorrow
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby tomorrow » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:57 pm

At the risk of sounding a bit too fanboy... I have to admit I almost squealed when I hear the Harley voice-cameo (assuming that was meant to Harley, could be wrong) in tonight's episode. Arrow drops DC-universe easter eggs all the time, but that one was nice.

drkrash
Groupie
Groupie

Postby drkrash » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:28 pm

tomorrow wrote:At the risk of sounding a bit too fanboy... I have to admit I almost squealed when I hear the Harley voice-cameo (assuming that was meant to Harley, could be wrong) in tonight's episode. Arrow drops DC-universe easter eggs all the time, but that one was nice.

It was definitely meant to be Harley.

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:51 pm

I'll be honest, I found this episode to be really boring. I mean really, REALLY boring. Ollie is barely in it, it doesn't push forward the main plot at all, it goes on a weird variant which while it dropped a whole heap of easter eggs, was not all that interesting in its own right & unfortunately has brought back the annoying first season trait of "good & bad are subjective, so lets just go kill some people."

As for this iteration of the suicide squad I found this less compelling then I should have.

This is the second episode in a row I've no been impressed with & a week long episode lapse. Not impressed guys, pull up your game.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

drkrash
Groupie
Groupie

Postby drkrash » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:48 am

I thought this ep was quite a step up from the week before.

One big thing for me in this one was realizing that a) Ollie and Sarah really have no chemistry unless they're beating people up together and b) Caity Lotz may be great for the physical role of Canary, but she really isn't a very strong actress. "AA Laurel", by comparison, was much more pleasant and interesting.

Plus it seemed the dialogue was setting up Sarah's inevitable death at Deathstroke's hands.

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:34 am

drkrash wrote:I thought this ep was quite a step up from the week before.

Is that because there wasn't an episode last week?

drkrash wrote:Plus it seemed the dialogue was setting up Sarah's inevitable death at Deathstroke's hands.

Yeah at this point it stops being foreshadowing & becomes plot bludgeoning.
-Isaac Asimov

danelsan
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby danelsan » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:06 pm

Opening: "I can't be the killer I once was"

Less than 5 minutes into the episode: "And this time, when I kill him, I'll make damn sure he stays dead"

Do you mean to not be the killer you once were by becoming a better one, Ollie?

:roll: :lol:

Edit: also, I know she is now like that in the comics, but I just can't get used to skinny Amanda Waller. The fat version just seems to have more presence and fits better the nickname "the Wall"
Last edited by danelsan on Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My DeviantArt page
Batgirl avatar by ArtNerdEm

Stormson
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Stormson » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:53 pm

I fully expect Ollie to pause at the deciding moment before killing Slade because he'll remember that they're "brothers", and it will surely backfire.

But the "killer I once was" line has already been broken once, with Vertigo threatening felicity, and that line doesn't necessarily rule out killing altogether, and could just mean a reduction. Ollie is absolutely less of a killer in season 2 than season 1.

Some people dislike it and feel like the character should have flipped a switch and stopped altogether/never started, but I think that's just unrealistic, and also think a show about a guy that fights crime with arrows without actually hurting people would have flopped, terribly.

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:01 pm

Stormson wrote:I fully expect Ollie to pause at the deciding moment before killing Slade because he'll remember that they're "brothers", and it will surely backfire.

that's actually been one of this seasons major issues. Its surprise twists are so trite you can see them coming a mile away.
-Isaac Asimov

Mr Mole
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Mr Mole » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:30 pm

I wasn't blown away by the latest episode, but I'll content myself with the easter eggs... Most especially the Harley Quinn dialog in the background... :mrgreen:

I really, really liked the concept of the Suicide Squad comic back in the day, if not always the quality of the script (which, sadly, was often overshadowed by DC's current mega-crossover event). I'm not completely thrilled with the iteration of the team that's been introduced in Arrow (especially their take on Bronze Tiger, making him into a remorseless killing machine... Which might fit the character at one point in his career, after being brainwashed by the League of Assassins, but was never really the case during his time with the Squad... Just sayin'), but I'll take what I can get.

Yes, Sarah's almost certainly going to die. That was pretty clear the moment she showed up as the Canary, when we all know it has to eventually end up being Laurel in that identity. Slade could very well be the one who offs her. Sarah becoming Ollie's current romantic interest increases the chances of her death coming sooner rather than later. The odds of her living beyond the end of this season are slim, but the writers could drag this out for years, if they really want to.

Ollie's not going to kill Slade. He may try to kill him or Slade may have an epiphany and decide his quest for vengeance against Ollie is over... But Slade's not going to die. Ollie may even think he's killed Slade, but it's not going to happen.

Overall, it's strange to me that Waller would decide to go through so much trouble to blow up the chemical weapon. I imagine there were easier ways that wouldn't've cost her the entire team (expendable or not) plus (at least) dozens of civilians. Even if she considered Deadshot to be totally expendable (which isn't such a stretch), I would think she could've done better than that without much extra effort... But that's just my thinking.

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:02 pm

Mr Mole wrote:especially their take on Bronze Tiger, making him into a remorseless killing machine... Which might fit the character at one point in his career, after being brainwashed by the League of Assassins, but was never really the case during his time with the Squad... Just sayin'

for me its the lack of the Tiger Head.... Give me my god damn tigers head version of Bronze Tiger.... I don't care that he didn't wear it in the actual Suicide Squad, its pure undiluted cool & he sould in the TV show. Damn it, this is copperhead all over again. :lol:
-Isaac Asimov

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:50 pm

Okay that was better. A story where they actually remembered to have some story. But one thing struck me as laughably silly & I'm wondering if anyone else noticed it.... Since when have people been able to bring fully automatic handguns into a courthouse. I'm willing to believe that Huntress come in through the roof or something, but every major court house has metal detectors even here in Australia & given how even schools in the states have metal detectors, I'm not buying it.
-Isaac Asimov

greycrusader
Superhero
Superhero

Postby greycrusader » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:38 am

saint_matthew wrote:Okay that was better. A story where they actually remembered to have some story. But one thing struck me as laughably silly & I'm wondering if anyone else noticed it.... Since when have people been able to bring fully automatic handguns into a courthouse. I'm willing to believe that Huntress come in through the roof or something, but every major court house has metal detectors even here in Australia & given how even schools in the states have metal detectors, I'm not buying it.

This is a common American televison trope and you're the umpteenth person to point out how unrealistic it is (even in programs such as Arrow, which aren't exactly realistic); it happens frequently on law and police based shows, even though court houses (even in my non-large city locale) have officers present at all entrances and metal detectors at multiple checkpoints. The other part of the trope is supposedly how easy it is for defendants in court to grab firearms off bailiffs and police officers present in room-this happened to the last episode of The Good Wife, a show with otherwise fine writing. In reality it's extraordinarily hard to snatch a gun out of a court officer/police officer's holster-those people are trained professionals and the pistols aren't just hanging off their belts.

Kind of like "running" from a pursuer in a car-I don't care how fast you are, you've got about 5-10 seconds max before the car behind you catches up (the fastest human could a mile in under four minutes-how long before an auto accelerates past 15 mph?) But this used to be used all the time on television.

All my best.
The Contingent: When all other super teams fail...

Return to “Sidekicks Lounge”