[Green] Arrow TV Series

Discuss anything vaguely M&M related here, such as comics, movies, and action figures.
Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: [Green] Arrow TV Series

Postby Arthur Eld » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:52 pm

They're comic book fans. They think most things are horrible. :mrgreen:

I'm not even sure personally I like Laurel more than Sara-Caity Lotz is doing a pretty solid job (I liked how different flashback Sara was-she had almost a completely different voice:bubbly and sweet), but it just doesn't make any sense that the writers and showrunners would run Laurel completely into the ground and then leave her that way.

Its kind of like what they did with Thea, who grew (fairly slowly and with backsliding, like a real person) from spoiled and snarky to fairly reliable and mature after starting out kind of bad, and then getting even worse, before she got better. Still snarky, though.

Although I will say I really like Moira, as far as the women on the show go.

Kyle
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Kyle » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:08 am

This is easily my favourite episode of this show yet. So good. All I want from fiction is Black Canary and Green Arrow chasing down bad dudes on a motorcycle, and this episode delivers. Also, the duel between Ollie and Nyssa was pretty great.

Nyssa might be my new favourite character.

Stormson
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Stormson » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:05 am

I have to admit, the green arrow/canary motorcycle chase was awesome.

I think my main issue was Laurel. I -really- hope they don't make her black canary.

Mr Mole
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Mr Mole » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:01 am

Mixed feelings on this episode. Nothing I especially loved or loathed one way or the other.

The worst part was the soap opera relationship mash-up with Ollie / Laurel / Sara / Nyssa. Ollie jumping Sara at the end of the episode was especially cliche and disappointing.

Katie Cassidy is getting better at portraying Laurel... While Laurel is becoming a real jerk. The character is going from generally irritating to legitimately unlikable. Sadly, I think this is actually an improvement.

I'm not thrilled with the current discord in the Queen family. Ollie's being kind of a schmuck to his mom. His "no secrets" line had me just about falling out of my seat. Hello? Secrets? I'm sure there's plenty Moira is still concealing, but it's not like Ollie's been open about his hobbies and interests or the company he's been keeping.

Now Ollie's slept with yet another woman and snubbed Felicity. She was pretty broken hearted about it the last time. Now he's doing it in the "arrow cave," where Felicity could walk in any time and where she probably has surveillance cameras set up... :shock:

danelsan
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby danelsan » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:40 pm

a few comments, in no particular order:

Kinda cool to have them using the somewhat more obscure Nyssa instead of Talia. Wonder if her speaking for Ras without permission will lead to the whole "being the black sheep of the league of assassins" thing of her story (though heavily modified)

From a representativeness point of view, good to have Bisexual superheroine.

I know that archer VS archer is pretty typical material for Green Arrow, but I would like to see him square off against an opponent with different ranged weapons, but something that still allows that kind of shot for shot exchange - say, throwing daggers, not a sniper rifle.

Did...did he used that damn herb again to cure Canary? Cause I'm Kinda getting tired of the bullshit magical herb.

Once again Oliver deserves a hypocrisy award. At this point it can at least be considered a consistent trait of the character XD

I'm not interested in the whole romance mess with those 4 (5 if you count Felicity having a crush on Oliver)

Since Laurel is not Black Canary in this version, she has become a very annoying character. Didn't like her in first season, but now I'm really bothered with her presence. Hopefully they can find something interesting to do with her.

As an aside, I find Caity Lotz tremendously beautiful and, for this particular episode I'm going with the common internet parlance: dem abs :wink:

Anyway, not a fantastic episode, but not bad either and could set up some plot threads that lead to interesting stuff.
My DeviantArt page
Batgirl avatar by ArtNerdEm

drkrash
Groupie
Groupie

Postby drkrash » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:50 am

danielsan,

The showrunners explained that they used Nyssa because Talia had just been used in the movies. I think it was a good call, because Talia is pretty intimately tied to Batman.

Also according to the showrunners, Sarah is not "representative" of anything. At this point, Sarah and Nyssa is a one-time thing, and they specifically said that they are *not* labeling her as "bisexual."

And for myself, while I wouldn't call Caity Lotz extremely beautiful, man, her fitness level is really, really impressive. Check out her parkour on youtube.

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:18 am

danelsan wrote:a few comments, in no particular order:

Kinda cool to have them using the somewhat more obscure Nyssa instead of Talia. Wonder if her speaking for Ras without permission will lead to the whole "being the black sheep of the league of assassins" thing of her story (though heavily modified)

From a representativeness point of view, good to have Bisexual superheroine.

I know that archer VS archer is pretty typical material for Green Arrow, but I would like to see him square off against an opponent with different ranged weapons, but something that still allows that kind of shot for shot exchange - say, throwing daggers, not a sniper rifle.

Did...did he used that damn herb again to cure Canary? Cause I'm Kinda getting tired of the bullshit magical herb.

Once again Oliver deserves a hypocrisy award. At this point it can at least be considered a consistent trait of the character XD

I'm not interested in the whole romance mess with those 4 (5 if you count Felicity having a crush on Oliver)

Since Laurel is not Black Canary in this version, she has become a very annoying character. Didn't like her in first season, but now I'm really bothered with her presence. Hopefully they can find something interesting to do with her.

As an aside, I find Caity Lotz tremendously beautiful and, for this particular episode I'm going with the common internet parlance: dem abs :wink:

Anyway, not a fantastic episode, but not bad either and could set up some plot threads that lead to interesting stuff.

As much as I'm not hating it, something stuck me today watching it: Detective/Officer Lance must be terrible at his job of detecting. Last season he thought that Ollie was The Arrow, this season he discovers that Ollies secretary is working for the Arrow, both the Arrow & Ollie are linked to a super drug & oh, his own daughter who was ship wrecked with Ollie came back as a masked vigilante & oh is also working with the Arrow. Yep, those are some pretty big clues to miss.... So I'm guessing he knows, but is pretending not to.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

danelsan
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby danelsan » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:31 pm

Hmm...true. I guess I have been "trained" to expect incompetence from the police when superheroes are involved, but it would make for a better show if they eventually reveal that the detective is not as oblivious as he seems.
My DeviantArt page

danelsan
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby danelsan » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:21 pm

drkrash wrote:Also according to the showrunners, Sarah is not "representative" of anything. At this point, Sarah and Nyssa is a one-time thing, and they specifically said that they are *not* labeling her as "bisexual."

That they say she isn't doesn't really matter, in my opinion. It has been shown that she gets feelings of love (or at least sexual attraction) from men and women. Even simplifying things (since sexuality is a seriously complex subject) it pretty strongly hints that she is bisexual or something even less common.

Maybe she feels romantic feelings for women and sexual attraction to men and women. Perhaps she is attracted to persons and not genders...there are a lot possibilities.

The fact that they are not labeling it anything, nor making much of a ruckus about it in-universe is actually a positive thing in my view.

I don't care what they say about her not being representative, because she is and, so far, in the way it should be done in my opinion. She is a character who happens to be [whatever her sexuality is, though clearly not completely cisgendered], but is not defined by it. Actively trying to make her some sort of gay-rights icon or anything like that would seem forced in my opinion, risking turning the character into a shallow caricature.

I think that might be what they mean when they say she is not representative of anything - that she is not on the show to be purely a shallow vehicle for sexuality activism or something like that.

If she never shows interest in another woman for the rest of the show, that is fine. But, and anyone who identifies as so can feel free correct me if I'm wrong, the fact she loves another woman is not meaningless. Having a character that is, in some way, relatable for people of certain sexual orientations or gender identities when such characters are tremendously scarce in media is a positive step.

Or at least those are the impressions I get. I'm a straight white dude, so I've never lacked representation, but another gaming forum I frequent happens to have a lot of people with various sexual orientations and gender identities and, when the subject turns to various forms of media, character like Sara - complete characters with their sexuality/gender as only one facet of the whole - tend to receive much more positive comments than characters whose whole identity is built around their non-normative orientation / gender identity.

Anyway, sorry for the rant and any typos I let escape- I'm really tired right now and that usually causes my ability for writing my thoughts succinctly and correctly to suffer :wink:
My DeviantArt page

Kyle
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Kyle » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:01 pm

saint_matthew wrote:As much as I'm not hating it, something stuck me today watching it: Detective/Officer Lance must be terrible at his job of detecting. Last season he thought that Ollie was The Arrow, this season he discovers that Ollies secretary is working for the Arrow, both the Arrow & Ollie are linked to a super drug & oh, his own daughter who was ship wrecked with Ollie came back as a masked vigilante & oh is also working with the Arrow. Yep, those are some pretty big clues to miss.... So I'm guessing he knows, but is pretending not to.

I really hope that's the case, because Lance is one of the characters I really like, so it would be nice for him to not be as oblivious as not knowing would require.

The alternative is having him be look like chump being the only one who doesn't know the Arrow's real identity, similar to Gordon's befuddlement at the end of 'Dark Knight Rises'.

hypervirtue
Zealot
Zealot

Postby hypervirtue » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:42 am

I'm not sure that he knows necessarily.

I'm not saying he is incompetent either. I think that he thinks that Ollie is working with, and funding, the vigilante.

He knows:
1. The vigilante and Ollie have been seen together.

Now, this is enough to throw the guy, especially since he doesn't know about Diggle. Also since, as far as he knows, the other Vigilante was using the bow and arrow shtick and that is a fairly specific skill-set.

2. The vigilante works with a support network.

This would seem, to me, to be more likely for our detective friend to think at this point.
One can lift a rock with pure power, but a pure heart can move mountains.

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:12 pm

hypervirtue wrote:He knows:

He has? Was this one of those things from season one that I have wiped from my memory.... Along with the rest of season one.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

tomorrow
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby tomorrow » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:11 pm

saint_matthew wrote:
hypervirtue wrote:He knows:1. The vigilante and Ollie have been seen together.
He has? Was this one of those things from season one that I have wiped from my memory.... Along with the rest of season one.

Well, perhaps it willful ignorance so he doesn't have to admit to himself that he's working with a guy who swaps his daughters as bed-partners without any real commitment fairly willy-nilly. :cry:

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:23 pm

tomorrow wrote:
saint_matthew wrote:
hypervirtue wrote:He knows:1. The vigilante and Ollie have been seen together.

Well, perhaps it willful ignorance so he doesn't have to admit to himself that he's working with a guy who swaps his daughters as bed-partners without any real commitment fairly willy-nilly. :cry:

To be fair, wouldn't you? I mean as soon as Laurel opens her mouth to throw herself a pity party, I'd be out the door too.

That's one element this season needs to throttle back on: Sulky Laurel.
-Isaac Asimov

Stormson
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Stormson » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:03 am

saint_matthew wrote:
hypervirtue wrote:He knows:

Yes, it's happened at least twice, once to get Ollie out of being initially suspected, and again when Ollie needed his mother questioned. Diggle has worn the hood those 2 times.

Return to “Sidekicks Lounge”