[Green] Arrow TV Series

Discuss anything vaguely M&M related here, such as comics, movies, and action figures.
saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Re: [Green] Arrow TV Series

Postby saint_matthew » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:08 pm

greycrusader wrote:This is a common American televison trope and you're the umpteenth person to point out how unrealistic it is (even in programs such as Arrow, which aren't exactly realistic); it happens frequently on law and police based shows

It is? You must be watching different shows to the shows I'm watching. :?:
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

greycrusader
Superhero
Superhero

Postby greycrusader » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:13 am

Perhaps. More likely I'm thinking of shows from back when I was younger, when I was still a Law and Order series fan, or shows such as Homicide from back when I was growing up. But it still turns up, such as in the recent episode of the Good Wife I mentioned. That one was especially bad, particularly for a show that usually has top notch writing. The distraught defendant is sitting at the table, when he notices the guard standing right next to the table conveniently has the firearm unholstered-never mind the defendant would have to move from the table, brush aside the guard's arm, pull the pistol from the holster at an angle, and do so without any resistance from a trained court officer, or without the other guards reacting first. At least the writers had enough respect to have all that happen off-screen.

(They had to get rid of a major character, because the actor decided to move on from the show. But they could have found a less foolish way to do so.)
The Contingent: When all other super teams fail...

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:25 pm

greycrusader wrote:Perhaps. More likely I'm thinking of shows from back when I was younger, when I was still a Law and Order series fan

Yeah it has got pretty bad in recent years, especially SVU. As for the others, I haven't watched them, so my guess was right. you and I watch very different shows (an if you aren't watching the BBC's Musketeers all I can say is "whats wrong with you" :lol: ).

Right now I'm watching "Cutie Honey Live", since I have a day to spare, its been raining all morning & I've got no where I need to be: If you keep on telling yourself its a superhero show, it almost works. :lol:
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

greycrusader
Superhero
Superhero

Postby greycrusader » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:18 pm

saint_matthew wrote:
greycrusader wrote:Perhaps. More likely I'm thinking of shows from back when I was younger, when I was still a Law and Order series fan

Yeah it has got pretty bad in recent years, especially SVU. As for the others, I haven't watched them, so my guess was right. you and I watch very different shows (an if you aren't watching the BBC's Musketeers all I can say is "whats wrong with you" :lol: ).

Right now I'm watching "Cutie Honey Live", since I have a day to spare, its been raining all morning & I've got no where I need to be: If you keep on telling yourself its a superhero show, it almost works. :lol:

The whole L&0 franchise started going waaaay down hill at least seven years back, if not sooner; SVU got wretched, with by-the-numbers cliched writing that always featured an utterly predictable "shock" twist ending.

Even Mariska couldn't make the show worth watching after a season of that kind of writing.

All my best.
The Contingent: When all other super teams fail...

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:47 pm

greycrusader wrote:The whole L&0 franchise started going waaaay down hill at least seven years back, if not sooner; SVU got wretched, with by-the-numbers cliched writing that always featured an utterly predictable "shock" twist ending.

Its actually got worse than that now. Now the entire thing is just infighting amongst characters & the man bad, woman good narrative that was an undertone in the early seasons has become all the series is about anymore. But I do find it amazing that the writers can find new ways every week to say "I'm a man & so I committed that crime due to maleness" when the motivation is finally revealed. I think the death kneel for SVU was when they did the "pulled from the headlines" thing & even in specific crimes not committed by men, some how they are still committed by men when they make it into the show.
-Isaac Asimov

tomorrow
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby tomorrow » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:59 pm

Depends on the Court really. If you have a court ID badge (court officer, attorney, etc.) you don't have to go through the metal detectors in some courthouses.

Stormson
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Stormson » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:28 pm

Last nights episode was great. Definitely pushed the plot forward, which the last few episodes had not.

drkrash
Groupie
Groupie

Postby drkrash » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:46 pm

OK. Last night was good. But I do have one problem with the plot at the moment.

Everything is Slade.

He's the Big Bad and Ollie's physical match. He is organizing an army. He's rich and influential. He controls Blood. He controls Rochev. He knows all Ollie's secrets.

Yet he's such a good villain that he's not going to be dead at the end of the season.

I just think they need to spread the villainous wealth around a bit. I would have liked Rochev to be on her own.

I guess there's always the League of Assassins.

Stormson
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Stormson » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:50 pm

He's not going to be dead because Oliver Queen can't be the killer he once was.

They're spoiling the outcome of this before every episode, lol.

Edit: Not gonna lie, also hope they swerve things and Laurel is the lance sister to die, and we keep Sarah.

drkrash
Groupie
Groupie

Postby drkrash » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:59 pm

Stormson wrote:Not gonna lie, also hope they swerve things and Laurel is the lance sister to die, and we keep Sarah.

Sorry - I'm part of that minority that is a Laurel fan.

Since she's stopping being Mopey Molly, I find her quite pleasant.

And I'm going to say it: Caity Lotz is an adequate actress, but not a good one.

tomorrow
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby tomorrow » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:53 pm

I don't want to spoil anything the night of the episode, but I will say I thought tonight's episode was pretty could and this episode's use of specific flashbacks to contrast of how the defining elements (even arguably one's better angels) of one's character can lend themselves to both noble and morally questionable acts was done well, IMHO.

Also, not entirely sure Slade's character will live through this season (or at least whatever next season's cliffhanger resolution ends up being).

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arthur Eld » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:09 pm

I can actually somehow see 'Deathstroke' dying this season, but Slade living on.

I did really like tonight's episode-I felt like Roy was really underused in the past few weeks, and that's just part of the nature of the show, since there are a lot of characters. It was cool to have non-island flashbacks too.

HappyDaze
Luminary
Luminary

Postby HappyDaze » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:07 am

Am I the only one that heard a weird chiming noise during the non-island flashbacks? It was really annoying.

Kyle
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Kyle » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:36 am

That may have been the worst episode of the season thus far. A bunch of overwrought drama, just killing time until the last five minutes.

drkrash
Groupie
Groupie

Postby drkrash » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:50 am

@HappyDaze: yes, I noticed it too. I kept looking around my house wondering if something was making noise. Glad I wasn't the only one.

@Kyle: I think that may be overstated, though I think it is fair to say that it was mostly about the last 5 minutes. However, I think we're also supposed to see the cracks in Ollie and Sarah's relationship to add to her inevitable death and the equally inevitable introduction of Ollie's 7-year old son Connor in the future.

Sadly, I think it's going to be pretty hard to redeem Roy to the side of the angels this season.

Return to “Sidekicks Lounge”