Walking Dead on AMC

Discuss anything vaguely M&M related here, such as comics, movies, and action figures.
King Snarf
Paragon
Paragon

Re: Walking Dead on AMC

Postby King Snarf » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:37 pm

I thought they had trip lines with cans set up? That doesn't explain why the zombies got by them, but....
Arriba Flight es muy macho!

Visit my blog! http://teentemplars.blogspot.com

Visit my author page!

Kenpo Wolf
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Kenpo Wolf » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:32 am

King Snarf wrote:I thought they had trip lines with cans set up? That doesn't explain why the zombies got by them, but....

In my opinion, the survivors should die for being so stupid.

How far out of town did they pitch camp? It must not have been too far since Rick's group left the city in the afternoon and they had time to WALK to the camp by nighttime. I would have pitched camp way further out then that

This has been bugging me since the first episode but why camp in FRAGILE tents when zombies are about? If it was me, I would grab me a abandoned RV, travel trailer or schoolbus

When the survivors made their escape out of the city in the van, using the sportscar as a diversion, they should have went back to the lot to grab another van or two, if it was safe, for better security at camp

Don't get me wrong. Being a big zombie fan, I love the show but stupid people agitate me

DSumner
Hero
Hero

Postby DSumner » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:43 pm

Kenpo Wolf wrote:In my opinion, the survivors should die for being so stupid.

Why don't you let us know how you really feel. :lol:

Kenpo Wolf wrote:Don't get me wrong. Being a big zombie fan, I love the show but stupid people agitate me

You're not the only one. It's stuff like like the incident at the end that drives me up the wall.
"There is no such thing as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Death is certain, life is not."

Foreshadow
Hero
Hero

Postby Foreshadow » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:19 pm

I read up on this story. A few things worth noting:

Each episode is directed by a different person and the first three are written by the same guy except the third which he co-wrote. The rest are all written by different people.

In other words, its like one of those competition shows where the designers all design an outfit but in this case each director gets a turn at an episode and another group of writers get to share in the writing duties.

Point is, if each episode seems very different from the next that is a good reason why

Secondly, apparently it is only like the comic. Has the same central character, that sherriff but in the comic they end up going to Washington DC in the end and I don't see that happening in this series.

Thirdly, the writers, thank you for making this but I don't know if I want to read about zombies, and one of the guys who helped develop this wrote some Super-Pope comic. It might be good but I'm thinking, "really" I would not waste my time on it.

So glad the AMC series is so well done.

The biggest issue is they don't go into why there are all those zombies and it skipped over the initial zombie ordeal which is something they could do in flashbacks as the way they started it was good enough. I suppose they are either going to leave it open ended and not explain it or wait till the end and if the answer leads to illogical conclusions as to why there are still pockets of humans like the fact it can't be an air-born disease you get by being around zombies.

It could be some initial gas attack, but then it seems much less like an apocalypse than a localized event since they have established that pockets of humans can exist. A military base could easily be miles away and moving in to contain the zombies and has little to no chance itself of falling (since aerial Apache could easily do some damage, and squads of flame thrower dudes in perhaps modified vehicles that have flame throwers could easily destroy hordes of zombies.

Like the tank that sherriff goes into. Did it run out of gas. Is it really that hard to fiddle with it and see if it runs. Its not like if it did run that he could not easily get out of there. A modern tank like that can travel like 50 mph easily outrunning zombies and going over chain link fences.

Still the series is great but the zombies aren't as scary as say the ones from I am Legend. Those give a reason why at night only those in tank-like vehicles might be safe.

This would be a great story to play in a very real combat system like Call of Cthulhu where death is not far away if you make the right (or wrong?) choices. That is why I really hope the Supernatural product is released for 3e that adds taint (maddness) and more lethal rules for those who want to use 3e for more Walking Dead or CoC type games (along with the typical Hellboy and Constantine type set up you might use such a product for normally).

An optional Lethal (real) combat system would be nice where recovery isn't easy or fast and there are the quick and the dead, or in this case the undead.

Dr Archeville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Dr Archeville » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:37 am

Foreshadow wrote:Secondly, apparently it is only like the comic. Has the same central character, that sherriff but in the comic they end up going to Washington DC in the end and I don't see that happening in this series.

Seems a bit early to tell that. Did anyone see that happening in the first six issues of the comic?
Come join us at http://www.freedomplaybypost.com/index.php ! (current status: site and chat stable, Wiki pending)

Cinder
Hero
Hero

Postby Cinder » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:42 am

Dr Archeville wrote:
Foreshadow wrote:Secondly, apparently it is only like the comic. Has the same central character, that sherriff but in the comic they end up going to Washington DC in the end and I don't see that happening in this series.

Seems a bit early to tell that. Did anyone see that happening in the first six issues of the comic?

They didn't even head to DC until recently. (issue 75+)

Supposedly they are heading to the CDC in this season.

Article in entertainment weekly has some spoilers, but is a good article.

Kit
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Postby Kit » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:42 am

Season finale tonight
You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
And now and then stab, as occasion serves.

--Christopher Marlowe, Edward II, Act II, Scene I

Dr Archeville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Dr Archeville » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:27 pm

Sooo...
they couldn't re-route/remove the fuel from the Fuel Air Bomb and put that into the generators to keep them going
?

That aside, I liked it. I liked what they explained, and what they didn't explain, leaving some things still up in the air.
Come join us at http://www.freedomplaybypost.com/index.php ! (current status: site and chat stable, Wiki pending)

greycrusader
Superhero
Superhero

Postby greycrusader » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:54 pm

A few items strained credulity (yes, even for a zombie apocalypse show). Given the CDC research building was seemingly designed like a worse-case-scenario bunker, why didn't it have more than a month or so worth of fuel?

Remember, not all that much time passed between the time Rick went into a coma and then woke up in a post-Armageddon world.

Second-a fuel air bomb? Really? I know governments are often stupid, even the US, but wouldn't there be less radical decontamination procedures?

Third-I know the sole CDC staff member may not have been a full-fledged researcher, but a first-year bio student knows viruses are only active in living tissue-so no, it CAN'T be a virus.

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

A
L
E
R
T

The secret that the scientist whispered to Rick is that the blood tests showed they are ALL INFECTED. The anomaly is in their bloodstreams, it just isn't nearly as prolific as it is inside the "walkers". They will all revive when they die from any cause, unless a cure is found. Or maybe the anomaly will slowly spread until they all suffer effects of the disease.
The Contingent: When all other super teams fail...

Dr Archeville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Dr Archeville » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:07 pm

Where'd you get that?

I think it's been two months: in the first video recording we saw from Jenner, he'd said it was Day 62 of the outbreak. Which may seem like too long, but we don't know for certain that the first zombies didn't arise before Rick got shot and put into a coma.

greycrusader
Superhero
Superhero

Postby greycrusader » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:10 pm

Dr Archeville wrote:Where'd you get that?

I think it's been two months: in the first video recording we saw from Jenner, he'd said it was Day 62 of the outbreak. Which may seem like too long, but we don't know for certain that the first zombies didn't arise before Rick got shot and put into a coma.

The conclusion is just my deduction, though perhaps the writers will deviate from the comic in that regard (Kirkman's book eventually reveals everyone who dies [except from brain injuries] comes back, it just usually takes a lot longer). But I'm still betting on it.

You may be right about the time frame. But even the government shelters built during the height of the Cold War (1960s-early 80s) were designed and stocked to last for months if not years. I don't think the zombies were arising in any real numbers or Rick would have known about them after he came out of the coma. Obviously, maybe a few walkers had appeared, but society at large wasn't aware of them and nothing had collapsed yet.

All my best.
The Contingent: When all other super teams fail...

Kit
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Postby Kit » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:16 pm

Dr Archeville wrote:Where'd you get that?

I just watched those episodes. Jenner says its day 193 and 62 days since it abruptly went global.
You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,

And now and then stab, as occasion serves.

--Christopher Marlowe, Edward II, Act II, Scene I

tomorrow
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby tomorrow » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:44 am

One thing I'm still not clear on is how Rick didn't die in the hospital after his buddy abandoned him... not due to zombies... but you know, due to lack of food and water while he was in the coma and no one was around to replace his IVs.

How long was it between when he was left there and when he woke up... I mean, apparently long enough for his friend to start sleeping with his wife (which based on their conversations didn't occur until some time after he told her Rick was dead).

Is Rick actually aberration of a walker?

I've never read the comic the show in based on, mind you.

Jameson
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Jameson » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:22 am

The timetable in the show is certainly confusing. It's hard to tell just how much time passed for Rick in his hometown with Morgan and Duane and then how much time it took him to travel to Atlanta. It's possible that Rick awoke only a day or two after being abandoned by Shane and spent a great deal of time recovering that was glossed over and then still more time slowly making his way to Atlanta.

In the comic the amount of time since Z-day is less at this point in the series, perhaps only 5 weeks since Z-day which allows for more probable time tables.
Forty six and two are just ahead of me.

Read my M&M product reviews here

Kenpo Wolf
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Kenpo Wolf » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:41 pm

tomorrow wrote:One thing I'm still not clear on is how Rick didn't die in the hospital after his buddy abandoned him... not due to zombies... but you know, due to lack of food and water while he was in the coma and no one was around to replace his IVs.

How long was it between when he was left there and when he woke up... I mean, apparently long enough for his friend to start sleeping with his wife (which based on their conversations didn't occur until some time after he told her Rick was dead).

I asked my cousin, who is a nurse btw, this same question. She said that some newer IV machines have a slow drip mechanism and doesnt have to be changed as frequently, maybe once or twice a week. Three weeks to a month is pushing it though IMO

Return to “Sidekicks Lounge”