PROMETHEUS [6/18/12]

Discuss anything vaguely M&M related here, such as comics, movies, and action figures.
Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Libra » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:30 am

I was being serious. So many remakes suffer horribly by comparison with the older films they're based on - Why shouldn't Hollywood see the sense in Green-lighting some remakes that look all the better when compared to the originals?
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

Devastation Bob
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Devastation Bob » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:52 pm

My guess is the money. Why gamble on a property that's already proven to hemhorrage cash when you can drag a cashcow back into theaters and dvd cases and flagellate it like a ex-equine?
We really shook the pillars of heaven, didn't we, Wang? --Jack Burton

Kit
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Re: ALIEN prequel film

Postby Kit » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:52 pm

From SyFy:

Variety confirms a story, first reported by Collider.com, that Ridley Scott's company is developing a prequel to his classic sci-fi horror movie Alien, but with a few changes: Scott himself will direct, not Scott's protege, Carl Rinsch, and Jon Spaihts will write the script.

Here's how the trade paper reported it:

Spaihts got the job after pitching the studio and Scott Free, which will produce the film.

The film is set up to be a prequel to the groundbreaking 1979 film that Scott directed. It will precede that film, in which the crew of a commercial towing ship returning to Earth is awakened and sent to respond to a distress signal from a nearby planetoid. The crew discovers too late that the signal generated by an empty ship was meant to warn them.

The deal gives Fox another chance to keep the Alien franchise alive. There were three sequels to Scott's original, but it is the first time the director has set his mind on directing one.

Who is Jon Spaihts? He's a guy with a lot of sci-fi irons in the fire: Keanu Reeves is reportedly attached to his Warner Brothers script Shadow 19 and also hired Spaihts to write the space journey epic Passengers, which got Spaihts the meeting with Fox and Scott Free.

Spaihts is also reportedly writing Children of Mars for Disney and Scott Rudin, and he will follow by rewriting St. George and the Dragon for Sony and Red Wagon.
You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
And now and then stab, as occasion serves.

--Christopher Marlowe, Edward II, Act II, Scene I

Foreshadow
Hero
Hero

Postby Foreshadow » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:44 pm

I don't think you guys understand reality. Why did they reboot Star Trek? Why make a new GI Joe or for that matter the couple of Transformers movies. Why indeed? Money, and the fact someone rich owns the franchise and they want to remake more money on that franchise.

So why remake a completely unnecessary remake, because 20th Century Fox and some producer want to reemerge that franchise in a new decade.

Personally, sometimes a redesign of an old concept like the Transformers movie or perhaps this new GI Joe might be done well and make a remake worth it. We go an watch these partly for the old school flavor, but many new kids say 'Wow that looks cool'. Yet, as with the new Planet of the Apes those remakes sometimes are a bit off and fail to leave the mark intended.

I thought when I saw GI Joe, 'Ofcourse, Transformers is out again so why not Joe' cuz I remember them being on back to back on afternoon cartoons.

Aliens remake? Well it come be redone well and if its a prequel I want them to show the origin of the alien. I remember somewhere in that series it was revealed the aliens were actually bio weapons gone wrong cuz they could not be controlled, sorta like something you plant down and release for destruction leaving the infrastructure intact. Or was it that the corporation wanted to study what were actual aliens and possibly create a bio weapon. It might have been that but a prequel should delve into that issue and that issue I do not think was sufficiently hashed out in the first series of movies. Was that their home planet? Who found them? Who created them if they were created?

I see the potential to make a new movie, not a remake, but one tied into the first series, but what we are going to get is a remake that, like Star Trek, seeks to reboot and gloss over characters we already know and will not go too deeply into their backgrounds. I did enjoy my Star Trek experience and I'll probably enjoy an Aliens remake but I will potentially walk away feeling a great opportunity might have been missed if it doesn't deliver. Will it be the next Planet of the Apes? Should Tim Burton and his 'dark mind' write/direct it? I could see 20th century giving him a gig like that as Aliens is a dark movie but it might be like playing Russian Roulette with 150+ million dollars.

Dirigible
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Dirigible » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:48 pm

I remember somewhere in that series it was revealed the aliens were actually bio weapons gone wrong cuz they could not be controlled, sorta like something you plant down and release for destruction leaving the infrastructure intact.

...intact and covered in Giger-designed black resin hives :shock:

Kit
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Postby Kit » Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:24 pm

from syfy:
Alien director Ridley Scott has talked more about the proposed prequel movie he'll be directing, and it's not what you expect.

No, it won't deal with the backstory to that giant alien ship on LV-426 that the crew of the Nostromo discovers in Scott's 1979 original movie. Rather, it'll be something new, Scott told Empire magazine:

"It's a brand new box of tricks," said Sir Ridley. "We know what the road map is, and the screenplay is now being put on paper. The prequel will be a while ago. It's very difficult to put a year on Alien, but [for example] if Alien was towards the end of this century, then the prequel story will take place thirty years prior."

The script, by Jon Spaihts, will center on humans in some way. Not really clear how it'll fit into the series' mythology, but we're sure it'll be something.

"I never thought I'd look forward to a sequel," said Sir Ridley. "But a prequel is kind of interesting. I'm looking forward to doing that."

Kit
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Postby Kit » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:53 am

from syfy:

All the Alien reboot news that's slowly been coming out over the past year has been exciting, but now we're really starting to salivate.

First we learned there was going be a prequel, and that Tony and Ridley Scott would be involved, though neither would direct. Then we found out that Ridley Scott was stepping in to direct after all. And a few months ago, he let slip a few details about the plot—that the film wouldn't deal with the backstory to that giant alien ship the crew of the Nostromo discovered in his 1979 original movie.

But now it all gets even more interesting, because Roger Christian, art director for the original Alien, spilled big news over at shadowlocked: "Ridley's doing the next Alien in 3D."

And in even bigger news than that, the film may turn out to be the first of a trilogy:

Ridley told me some of his ideas when we were here in Toronto. He has a very clear understanding of where this should go. They kind of stopped dead one of the greatest horror franchises there's ever been, and it had legs to go on. So I'm hoping he'll revive another three. The world certainly wants it, and the fans want it—everybody.
Now, perhaps Christian is only speaking for himself and not Scott with his talk of a three-quel. But it does make us wonder whether the two have discussed the possibility, and whether it could be more than just idle speculation.

In any case, even if the trilogy talk is just a rumor, the 3-D sounds solid, so—can you think of any scene better suited for 3-D than an Alien chestburster? Not us!

Dirigible
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Dirigible » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:50 am

All the Alien reboot news that's slowly been coming out over the past year has been exciting, but now we're really starting to salivate.

You wouldn't think it'd be hard to find a picture of a xenomorph drooling, would you? They do it all the time. Yet here I am, and GIS has failed me.

But now it all gets even more interesting, because Roger Christian, art director for the original Alien, spilled big news over at shadowlocked: "Ridley's doing the next Alien in 3D."

Lots of jutting secondary mouths and facehugger wing-wong, then.

And in even bigger news than that, the film may turn out to be the first of a trilogy:

Because that worked so well before, those sci-f prequel trilogies.

Kit
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Postby Kit » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:10 pm

from imdb:

All the way back in June of last year we heard that plans were gearing up to unleash an "Alien" prequel on the world. Now, almost a full year later, we've got some news from Ridley Scott, creator of the franchise and director of both the first movie and the coming sequel, about what fans can expect.

"It's set in 2085, about 30 years before Sigourney [Weaver's character Ellen Ripley]," the "Robin Hood" director said in an exclusive interview, in advance of next week's summer preview week on MTV.com. "It's fundamentally about going out to find out 'Who the hell was that Space Jockey?' The guy who was sitting in the chair in the alien vehicle — there was a giant fellow sitting in a seat on what looked to be either a piece of technology or an astronomer's chair. Remember that?"

Of course we do, Ridley. Fans have been wondering about that thing for years.

Man Called True
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Man Called True » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:51 am

So we're going to get an answer to a question that didn't need to be answered. Great.
I've forgotten more than some people will ever know... Of course, there's my problem...

My Character Stumblings

Arcane Guyver
Partisan
Partisan

Postby Arcane Guyver » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:49 am

Man Called True wrote:So we're going to get an answer to a question that didn't need to be answered. Great.

It's the cool thing to do these days - unwanted prequels (Star Wars 1-3) and unwanted remakes with the backstory of the main character crammed in as an additional subplot (Willy Wonka, Jason, Freddie Kreuger, etc). Guess people can't use their imagination to fill in the blanks anymore. :|
www.fistfullofcomics.com

Don't beg for things; do it yourself, or you won't get anything.

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:10 am

Man Called True wrote:So we're going to get an answer to a question that didn't need to be answered. Great.

Not to mention one which has been explored pretty extensively (if in a very contradictory fashion) in the novels and comic books.

Man Called True
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Man Called True » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:34 am

Arcane Guyver wrote:unwanted prequels (Star Wars 1-3).....(Willy Wonka

What a LOT of people forget is that before they came out, people were ecstatic that George Lucas was doing the prequels. (I still like ROTS, myself.)

On the other hand, you hit the mark with the second half of the comment. I've never had a kind word to say about Tim Burton ever since that movie.
I've forgotten more than some people will ever know... Of course, there's my problem...

My Character Stumblings

Kit
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Re: PROMETHEUS [6/18/12]

Postby Kit » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:24 pm

Jameson
Luminary
Luminary

Re: PROMETHEUS [6/18/12]

Postby Jameson » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:34 pm

Part of me says "hell yes!" and part of me is cringing and hiding behind my hands. I'm glad that Ridley Scott is doing this and not somebody else, but I've seen too many recent attempts to "go back to the well" so to speak, that failed miserably to feel full on optimistic.
Forty six and two are just ahead of me.

Read my M&M product reviews here

Return to “Sidekicks Lounge”