The Red Panda Adventures (Superhero Radio Drama)

Discuss anything vaguely M&M related here, such as comics, movies, and action figures.
Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

The Red Panda Adventures (Superhero Radio Drama)

Postby Arkrite » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:55 pm

I've rewritten this about five times trying to get the message right, but I can't do it proper justice so I'll just tell it plainly:

A group called Decoder Ring Theatre decided a few years back to start creating radio shows.
One was a pulp style superhero show set in the great depression era called "The Red Panda".

The Red Panda is a blend of the old "The Shadow" and "The Green Hornet" radioshows with just a little modern day pizazz to give the series a bit of umph that the older series lack these days.

It's a fun blend of superhero story, pulp action, with a dash of comedy and just a pinch of camp as a nod to the comic book geeks of the world. It's also got a stellar voice acting cast which brings the series to life like I've never seen before.

It's a series which defiantly speaks for itself, which is good because I can't begin to it justice.

Simply put, it's fun, it's well made, and it's free.

You can get them in mp3 from http://decoderringtheatre.com/ Or for those of you with iPods a quick search on iTunes will bring up their podcast.

For those of you who prefer the Detective Noir style they also do a series called Black Jack Justice. Characters with big personalities, lots of sass, enough wit to bring a grin to anybody's face. And some darker soul searching stories where doing the right thing isn't always doing the legal thing.

I know most people feel that Radio Shows are a dead medium but I would suggest at least giving it the benefit of the doubt.
Flick on an episode while you're searching the boards, creating a character, or any other task you're doing at the time.
If I'm wrong and you don't like it you've still accomplished what you were doing anyways without any loss.
If you like it...
Well, then I guess I've done my good deed for the day.

I hope you enjoy it.

I do.
Last edited by Arkrite on Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Overdrive
Hireling
Hireling

Postby Overdrive » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:19 am

Yes! So great to see another Red Panda fan!

I'm actually a really big fan of audio drama, and the best ones I've found so far are the Red Panda and Black Jack Justice. Decoder Ring Theater manages to maintain really high quality programs which come out on a schedule you can set you watch by. Anybody who misses a time when the comics were about intelligent, competent, good-hearted heroes, really fun and interesting villains, and just enough silliness to make it all worthwhile, should definitely check the Red Panda out!

Also, if audio drama is your thing, you'd be surprised how much more there is out there. One podcast called the Sonic Society is an audio showcase of so many great shows that it's the perfect gateway into the modern audio theater world.
Quotes from my first M&M session:
"Are you on the drugs?" - Shockwave
"Hellenic steel my ass." - Shockwave

Mr. Invincible: You don't know who you're dealing with. I'm INVINCIBLE.
The Greek: So was Achilles.

dirkgentry2000
Zealot
Zealot

Postby dirkgentry2000 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:49 am

I'm amazed that Decoder Ring Theatre isn't more well known given the high quality radio drama they produce and the current resurgence in all things pulp. They're well worth checking out!

PMikey
Champion
Champion

Postby PMikey » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:19 pm

I've been a fan (and Supporter!) of Red Panda for two years now...along with their other feature starring that pulp-era hard-boiled detective Black Jack Justice and his parter Trixie Dixon, Girrrrrrl Detective!

If you haven't checked this out, you owe it to yourself to do so. :D

Here's some samples for you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKdJLWwUUq8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DJ-sMVeUQs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR04BA5RJXE

If nothing else, check out this past December's special X-Mas Episode in the DecoderRingTheatre's archives.

You'll be glad you did. :D
This creature is not Evil.
Stupid...perhaps VERY stupid...but not Evil.

http://midnightslair.com/forum/

Urbane_Blight
Compatriot
Compatriot

Postby Urbane_Blight » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:34 pm

Actually I'm somewhat astounded that I never plugged the site on this board, I did mention it in reference to podcast memory size but no plugs here.

The Panda and it's companion show "Black Jack Justice" are generally a hoot. A couple of clunkers but on the whole really good examples of radio drama.

Urbane_Blight
Compatriot
Compatriot

Postby Urbane_Blight » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:39 pm

I'll suggest the Black Jack Justice episode "Trixie's Pet" as one of the best ones.

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arkrite » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:02 pm

Decoder Ring Theatre has finally updated their website, and is still continuing their fantastic and free radio shows.
Just to make it insanely easy on the people, so they have no excuse not to check it out, here are links directly to the individual series:

The Red Panda Adventures

"In the tradition of the great mystery men of radio, pulp fiction and the golden age of comics comes The Red Panda, famed protector of 1930s Toronto! Hiding his true identity as on of the city's wealthiest men behind a bright red domino mask, The Red Panda dispenses two-fisted pulp justice with strength, courage and eerie hypnotic powers. Joined in his quest by that Famed Fighting Female The Flying Squirrel, this Terrific Twosome holds high the lamp of justice in a dark time!"

Black Jack Justice

"All-new hardboiled mysteries in the pulp detective tradition! Tough-as-nails private eye Jack Justice and his long-suffering partner Trixie Dixon, girl detective do their part for law, order and thirty-five dollars a day. When it comes to detective work, Jack and Trixie agree on the facts. Clients cry, clients lie, clients dicker over the bill. But if they can cut to the happy ending without cutting each other's throats, it'll be a miracle!"

I can't suggest these series highly enough.
Give them a shot people, listen to them while you fold your laundry or do dishes. It'll cost you nothing, and you might just like it!

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arkrite » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:25 pm

New Episode:

Black Jack Justice (#27) - The Family Jewels

The life of a detective has its ups and downs to be sure. Some might even argue that the downs held a pretty strong grip on the majority. But every so often a client like Midge Crocker opened the door and made it all worthwhile. A girl who was equal parts helpless doe-eyed bunny rabbit and hard, practiced liar. Now all Jack and Trixie had to do was figure out if the too-good to be true story was just that, or if they really were after... The Family Jewels

The link to the MP3 can be found at the bottom of the Black Jack Justice at Decoder Ring Theatre.

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arkrite » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:48 pm

New Episode:

Black Jack Justice (#28) - No News is Good News

If there's one thing worse than not having one of your best sources at your beck and call, it's never having him again because he went and got dead. With a client yapping at their heels, a word from Mike Rogers, crime reporter for the Gazette, could make all the difference. But when the newshound pulls a disappearing act, Jack and Trixie can only hope that it's a case of... No News is Good News!

The link to the MP3 can be found at the bottom of the Black Jack Justice page at Decoder Ring Theatre.

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: The Red Panda Adventures (Superhero Radio Drama)

Postby Arkrite » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:00 pm

The new season has arrived!

The Red Panda Adventures: Episode 49 "Nightshade"

A nice, quiet honeymoon was probably too much to ask, wasn't it? But after a string of adventures, our crime-fighters are finally headed for home. And if they happen to be carrying a mysterious amulet the Nazis would kill to recover, that's just all in a day's work. But when murder strikes mid-air, the Red Panda must find a killer who strikes with deadly...Nightshade!

This episode (and all the previous ones) can be found (for free) on the Red Panda Adventures page of Decoder Ring Theatre'swebsite.

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arkrite » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:54 am

New episode:

The Red Panda Adventures: Episode 50 "Flight of the Bumblebee"

A forgotten foe from our masked marvel's past returns, exhibiting astonishing new powers. Is this the opening overture of a new concerto of crime, or is there more than meets the eye to the... Flight of the Bumblebee!

This episode (and all the previous ones) can be found (for free) on the Red Panda Adventures page of Decoder Ring Theatre'swebsite.[/quote]

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arkrite » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:14 am

New episode:

The Red Panda Adventures: Episode 51 "The Puzzle Master!"

Scientific scerets are being stolen by a sinister superfiend with a mind for mazes and the morals of a monster. But when the Terrific Twosome of Toronto are made an offer of "help" that they can't refuse, will they ever best the mighty will of... The Puzzle Master!

This episode (and all the previous ones) can be found (for free) on the Red Panda Adventures page of Decoder Ring Theatre'swebsite.

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arkrite » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:43 pm

New episode:

The Red Panda Adventures: Episode 52 "Just Like Clockwork!"

A stranger awakes in an alley with no memory, no clue who he is and only a dim impression of his mission. All around, shadowy forces are closing in. Who is he? Does he hold the missing piece of the puzzle the Red Panda needs to save the city? Will the carefully laid plans of justice run off the rails or will it all go... Just Like Clockwork!

This episode (and all the previous ones) can be found (for free) on the Red Panda Adventures page of Decoder Ring Theatre's website.

Cinder
Hero
Hero

Postby Cinder » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:17 pm

Saint Matthew has been pimping these out on other threads, so I thought why not Necro this old thread. Blackjack Justice is good, I have not listened to the Red Panda yet.

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:02 am

Dude, we actually have a thread for this? Why did no one tell me about this earlier?

An the rest of you, go download the first episode right now. They are brilliant.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

Return to “Sidekicks Lounge”