The HOBBIT An Unexpected Journey 2013

Discuss anything vaguely M&M related here, such as comics, movies, and action figures.
Kit
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Re: HOBBIT film

Postby Kit » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:12 am

from Syfy:

Guillermo del Toro has posted on TheOneRing.Net that contrary to certain rumors that have been circulating, his two-film adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit will not be filmed in 3D.
You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
And now and then stab, as occasion serves.

--Christopher Marlowe, Edward II, Act II, Scene I

Kit
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Postby Kit » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:17 am

from Syfy:

New Line Cinema, the Tolkien estate and publisher Harper Collins have settled the lawsuit over profits from the Lord of the Rings films released between 2001 and 2003, according to The Hollywood Reporter, which is good news for those waiting for a film adaptation of The Hobbit.

The J.R.R. Tolkien estate had sued New Line for at least $150 million in damages for failing to pay 7.5 percent of gross receipts from the three films, which netted an estimated $6 billion combined. The estate claimed it hadn't been paid "one penny" from its contractual share and took issue with many of New Line's claimed expenses, including "advertisement" payments made to AOL (also owned by Time Warner) and money for production offices and facilities being used for other New Line films.

At the time, the plaintiffs wanted a court order that would give them the right to terminate any rights New Line might have to other Tolkien works, including The Hobbit.

In a statement on the settlement, Christopher Tolkien said, "The Trustees regret that legal action was necessary, but are glad that this dispute has been settled on satisfactory terms that will allow the Tolkien Trust properly to pursue its charitable objectives. The Trustees acknowledge that New Line may now proceed with its proposed films of 'The Hobbit.'"

Terms of the settlement were not released.

Kit
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Postby Kit » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:06 am

News from IMDB that this film may be in trouble:

While Bob Weinstein was announcing sequels and Neve Campbell's return to the "Scream" franchise last night, MGM investors were fretting over a dispiriting conference call led by studio management. Things are looking bleak, my friends. The gist of it, as reported by Nikki Finke for Deadline Hollywood, is that right now MGM needs $20 million to cover basic overhead and another $150 million to finish out the year. This includes funding for high-profile projects like "The Hobbit" and the next James Bond movie.

"The implication is that [the studio] is teetering on bankruptcy," one source said. A band-aid was applied over the summer when CEO Harry Sloan was relegated to a non-executive role and three senior execs stepped in to take the reins. With a debt that falls just south of $4 billion, the move may have come too late.

Yesterday's call was an appeal to creditors that interest payments on the mountain of debt be waived until February 2010, giving the studio some time and breathing room to find its footing. The whys and hows get pretty complicated, but the short version is that stockholders aren't inclined to waive their interest payments and the bondholders -- who are paid out ahead of stockholders if the worst occurs -- are content to let a bankruptcy occur.

MGM's argument is that a bankruptcy would be bad for everyone, since such an occurrence would likely result in the loss of key franchises, like James Bond. Finke's inside sources indicate that creditors will eventually get on board with the studio's plan, as its the best of several lousy possibilities. No one will know for sure until the studio makes a formal request for forbearance and the creditors respond.

Kit
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Postby Kit » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:35 pm

from syfy:

Another hurdle to Guillermo del Toro's The Hobbit has fallen: MGM, one of the studios producing the movies, has reportedly come up with enough cash to move forward with the production, which was in jeopardy as late as last week.

According to The Hollywood Reporter:

A recent proposal by MGM's new CEO Steve Cooper to defer interest payments on its debt load for the next three months on Thursday won a crucial endorsement from J.P. Morgan.
The investment firm leads a lenders steering committee that has been agitating for a dramatic restructuring of the Lion's operations and its ownership structure. In exchange for an agreement to limited interest forbearance, J.P. Morgan secured a few changes in existing debt terms.

Concern over MGM's hold on Hobbit is at the heart of the activity. In a 50-50 rights partnership with Warner Bros.' New Line unit, two Hobbit pics are being developed.

The first Hobbit movie is eyeing a 2011 release date.

Kit
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Postby Kit » Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:21 pm

from syfy:

There's a lot of speculation about who will/won't be in the proposed Lord of the Rings prequel, The Hobbit. Will Ian McKellen be back? Who will play Bilbo? Does Andy Serkis get to reprise the role of Gollum?

Well, one thing's been made sure, beyond a shadow of a doubt: John Rhys-Davies will not come back in dwarf form.

Rhys-Davies, who played Gimli the dwarf in the Rings trilogy, was asked if he could return as another dwarf (perhaps Gloin, Gimli's father?). He told Empire:

"I've already been asked and to be honest with you, I wouldn't. I have already completely ruled it out. There's a sentimental part of me that would love to be involved again. Really I am not sure my face can take that sort of punishment any more."

Rhys-Davies is referencing the severe allergic reaction he had to the prosthetic makeup he wore for Rings. It got so bad that he could only work one day out of every three.

When asked if he could come back for a few smaller parts, he added, "Why would you want to do it if it was just a couple of shots? When you've been 1 of 1, why would you want to be 1 of 13?"

It looks as if he's hung up his battle-axe for good, never to don the beard again. But what about another race?

"It was just a gentle 'What would you feel about putting it on again?' But no. I'd be interested in trying to create a different type of persona within ... the thing. That is challenging as an actor. I'd really prefer to play something quite different. Maybe an Elf. They've got a different set of problems with The Hobbit, because you've got 13 dwarves, a whole band of them. ... You're trying to represent a whole race. ... You're trying to do for dwarves what The Lord of the Rings did for hobbits."

The Hobbit will be covered in two films. The first will hit theaters in December 2011, followed by the second a year later.

Kit
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Postby Kit » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:10 pm

from syfy:

Ian McKellen, whom we expect will put on Gandalf's gray robes in director Guillermo del Toro's upcoming Hobbit movies, tells us he's finally read the script for the film.

And, no, he won't tell us much about it, except that producer Peter Jackson (who co-wrote the script with longtime Lord of the Rings collaborators Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens, as well as del Toro) wrote it specifically for him.

"As Peter has said, they loved writing Gandalf [for The Hobbit] because they knew who they were writing him for," McKellen told us exclusively in an interview last week while promoting AMC's The Prisoner. "There are a lot of characters in The Hobbit including, crucially, Bilbo, and they don't know who's going to play Bilbo. So it's extremely attractive that this part has been written for me. The other Gandalf was written for, well, just as Gandalf. There's lots for me to enjoy, in all sorts of ways. And I couldn't be happier. But I'm sworn to secrecy. I'm not to say anything at all about the script."

As for del Toro's input into the new script, McKellen said that he and Jackson speak the same language. "They are the same person," he said. "They were separated at birth. They're twins. They have the same attitude. Neither likes working in Hollywood. They're both fascinated by fantasy and violence on the screen, and gore, and things that frighten you. They like going into the psyche. They're both brilliant storytellers in very much the same way. And I think the script, because I have read it, plays very much to Guillermo's strengths, as I've seen them. I have seen his other movies and people act very well in them. So I think it's all fine. And Peter will always be there."

McKellen said that the role of Gandalf changed his life forever. "I can't believe it's 10 years for me," said the actor, who first played the wizard in The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, film one in the trilogy that began principal photography in New Zealand in 1999. "I remember being told by a friend in Hollywood that, 'Your life is going to change,' and it has. Gandalf is an extremely famous character, and I quite like having him around the corner. He's very popular."

Kit
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Postby Kit » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:09 pm

witchfire
Zealot
Zealot

Postby witchfire » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:22 am

Kit wrote:on Smaug

for god sakes let it not look like some pan's labyrinth freak
:cry:
Some people struggle daily
They struggle with their concience
'Til the end
I have no guilt to haunt me
I feel no wrong intent

Kit
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Postby Kit » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:22 am

from syfy:

Looks like Hobbit director Guillermo del Toro will follow the example of fellow filmmakers M. Night Shyamalan and Alfred Hitchcock by putting himself into his own movies.

Del Toro posted on the message boards of TheOneRing.net that he will make a cameo appearance as a small monster:

"I had a hand on the design of the creature and I will personally sculpt the appliances that will be applied on my face and hands. I used to sculpt the creatures for NECROPIA (my FX company) and I miss it a bit. I will have a line or two and die quickly."
Del Toro didn't say much more about his brief role in the two movies based on J.R.R. Tolkien's book, the predecessor to The Lord of the Rings. The Hobbit is in preproduction in New Zealand.

Kit
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Postby Kit » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:36 am

from syfy:

Since producer Peter Jackson announced that he would make two films from J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit, we've wondered whether he'll split the book in two or make the book the basis of the first movie and use the second to bridge The Hobbit with The Lord of the Rings.

Well, he cleared it up for us over the weekend: The two movies will be based solely on the book, even though the films' director, Guillermo del Toro, had suggested the latter approach.

"The second Hobbit script is still based on the Hobbit novel," Jackson said in a group interview Sunday in Beverly Hills, Calif., after a press conference for The Lovely Bones. "The Hobbit novel is in two parts."

The Hobbit tells the story of a young Bilbo Baggins' quest for a treasure guarded by the dragon Smaug. In the more youth-oriented adventure, Tolkien established the world of Middle-earth, where he later set his Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Whereas each of the Lord of the Rings films was based on a separate book, screenwriters Jackson, Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens (with del Toro) have found a middle point where they could end The Hobbit: Part 1 and begin The Hobbit: Part 2.

"Yeah, yeah, we have, but you'll have to wait and see the film to find out," Jackson teased.

The first Hobbit movie is due in theaters in 2011, with part two following in 2012.

i HATE this idea. THE HOBBIT can easily be made as a 2 hour film.

Kit
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Postby Kit » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:41 am

from syfy:

Looks like Guillermo del Toro's Hobbit movies are moving ahead as planned: Production Weekly now reports that they will begin a 14-month production schedule in June.

The publication's Twitter feed @prodweek also posted that the films will shoot as expected in New Zealand.

The news comes after word that casting had begun in earnest.

Last month, producer Peter Jackson told us exclusively that he and his co-writers were working on scripts for two Hobbit films, based on the book by J.R.R. Tolkien.

"We're still working on the script, and of course it's going to be directed by Guillermo [del Toro]," Jackson said. "That's going really well, and in fact we've already delivered the first script to the studio, and they really liked it, so now we're working hard on the second script, and that's going to keep us pretty busy until the end of this year [2009]."

The first film is slated to come out sometime in 2011 if all things stay on schedule, so yay!

Kit
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Postby Kit » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:55 am

from syfy:

Peter Jackson told us in December that production on The Hobbit would begin sometime this year, and now, thanks to one of its stars, we finally know when.

Sir Ian McKellen revealed on his official site that the start of filming for the Lord of the Rings prequel is only three months away:

THE HOBBIT's, two films, start shooting in New Zealand in June. Filming will take over a year. Casting in Los Angeles, New York City and London has started. The script too proceeds. The first draft is crammed with old and new friends, again on a quest in Middle Earth.
The director Guillermo del Toro is now living in Wellington, close to the Jacksons' and the studio in Miramar.

The two-film adaptation of The Hobbit will be directed by del Toro, with Jackson producing and co-writing along with his partners Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens.

Kit
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Postby Kit » Mon May 31, 2010 11:56 am

BAD news from IMDB:

The long-drawn-out efforts to sell MGM, which owns the rights to The Hobbit, have resulted in the decision by Guillermo del Toro to pull out of directing the planned two-part movie based on the J.R.R. Tolkien Lord of the Rings prequel. “In light of ongoing delays in the setting of a start date for filming The Hobbit, I am faced with the hardest decision of my life,” del Toro wrote on TheOneRing.net website. “After nearly two years of living, breathing and designing a world as rich as Tolkien’s Middle Earth, I must, with great regret, take leave from helming these wonderful pictures.” Del Toro said that he would “fully support a smooth transition to a new director.” In a separate statement, producer Peter Jackson said that the film had been delayed “due to reasons beyond anyone’s control” and expressed sympathy for del Toro’s predicament. Meanwhile, Jackson’s manager, Ken Kamins, told the Deadline.com website that Jackson himself has “commitments to other films that would make it impossible for him to direct The Hobbit at this time.” There is still no word on when filming of The Hobbit will begin.

Shillelagh
Bystander
Bystander

VERY bad news from ABC News

Postby Shillelagh » Mon May 31, 2010 3:03 pm

- After spending the last two years developing "The Hobbit" as his latest directing project, Guillermo del Toro has stepped down as director of the J.R.R. Tolkien adaptation amid studio delays and schedule conflicts."In light of ongoing delays in the setting of a start date for filming "The Hobbit," I am faced with the hardest decision of my life," Guillermo wrote in his announcement on "Lord of the Rings" fansite TheOneRing.net. "After nearly two years of living, breathing and designing a world as rich as Tolkien's Middle Earth, I must, with great regret, take leave from helming these wonderful pictures."

Full article here:http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=10791477

Well, this is less good than having Smaug turn up at your door with magazine subscriptions to sell....

Praetorian
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Praetorian » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:12 am

I'm not sure I would support a Hobbit movie without Jackson and Del Toro at the helm. Everyone was freaking out over Del Toro taking a hands-on approach to Smaug....kids, back off....Del Toro has an AMAZING vision, and I fully supported his role and creative designs when it came to Hellboy, Hellboy 2, and Pans Labyrinth. He has a distinct style for fantasy creature creation and design.

Would you rather Smaug be all CGI and full of nothing??
With everything going on, it's easy to miss someone stealing a nuclear missle silo.

Return to “Sidekicks Lounge”