The HOBBIT An Unexpected Journey 2013

Discuss anything vaguely M&M related here, such as comics, movies, and action figures.
K.G. Carlson
Zealot
Zealot

Re: The HOBBIT An Unexpected Journey 2013

Postby K.G. Carlson » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:50 am

I greatly enjoyed this flick. I started to worry as the framing sequence at the beginning seemed to run on a bit, but things started to roll.

And the added nemesis for Thorin? :shock: Yeah. Very cool. Go see this. Now. Good times!
"More powerful than a locomotive...and about as subtle!"
--Joker

Say goodbye to gravity, say goodbye to death
Hello to eternity and live for every breath
-The Wicker Man, Iron Maiden

Kit
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Postby Kit » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:03 am

Thakowsaizmu wrote:Caught it last night. It wasn't bad. I am wondering what they are going to do for the next two movies though.

Movie 2: From beorn to elves in mirkwood to capture by spiders and rescue to capture by elves and rescue[with option of Gandalf and white Council driving Necromancer out of dol guldur] to laketown to lonely mountain to death of Smaug. they could extend Smaug into third movie, but since second film is called Desolation of smaug, it really should have all the dragon scenes there. Besides, death of Smaug is a good climactic point to end the second film.

movie 3: seige by elves and humans, theft of arkenstone and falling out of bilbo and Thorin, arrival of dwarf army, arrival of goblins/orcs [doubtless led by Azog] Gandalf telling them to get their shit together, big battle , arrival of eagles 6-7 major death scenes, one major death scene after battle, wrap up in Erebor, travel back to Shire, any additional appendix stuff, deal with Sackvill baggins, and more linking material with Fellowship of the Ring.

just a guess, but it fits, i think
You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
And now and then stab, as occasion serves.

--Christopher Marlowe, Edward II, Act II, Scene I

Thakowsaizmu
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Thakowsaizmu » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:43 am

I was half joking at the end of the first one that the third one was going to be three hours of fighting Smaug.
♀♥♀
百年如石、一點如漆

Kit
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Postby Kit » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:33 am

I think a good question is how one makes the one-shot kill of smaug dramatic on film
You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,

And now and then stab, as occasion serves.

--Christopher Marlowe, Edward II, Act II, Scene I

Thakowsaizmu
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Thakowsaizmu » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:40 pm

Ethereal chambre music and slow motion action.
♀♥♀
百年如石、一點如漆

Jameson
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Jameson » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:47 pm

Kit wrote:I think a good question is how one makes the one-shot kill of smaug dramatic on film

For something like that I think you have to build up the dramtic tension on Smaug's invulnerability. Think about how Lucas made the one shot kill work in Star Wars; by the time Luke made the shot we'd been in the trench runs for 5-10 minutes as other rebels died trying to make that single shot.
Forty six and two are just ahead of me.

Read my M&M product reviews here

Arcane Guyver
Partisan
Partisan

Postby Arcane Guyver » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:48 pm

Kit wrote:I think a good question is how one makes the one-shot kill of smaug dramatic on film

Lots of build-up, have other characters hold off Smaug during the shot, and dramatic death throes. Maybe he'll mess with the lore a little by having Smaug have merely a loose scale, and Thorin or Gandalf manages to smash it off with a warhammer or something, making the shot possible. Knowing PJ, Bard will probably empty his quiver before remembering the Black Arrow, and then make a mad scramble through danger across town to retrieve it from a vault or some place of honor.
www.fistfullofcomics.com

Don't beg for things; do it yourself, or you won't get anything.

luketheduke86
Hero
Hero

Postby luketheduke86 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:32 am

My friends and I saw this on Friday and we all really enjoyed it. There is a different feel to it than the LoTR trilogy, but it was the same way with the books. I would advise against seeing the high-frame rate version because I disliked how it looked and found it to be distracting at the beginning. Still a great film and would highly recommend it.
A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day.

Setothes
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Setothes » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:54 am

I just re-read the Hobbit, and it seemed that the attacks by the lakemen's arrows actually did sting Smaug a bit (with him starting out incinerating them as they came at him, but later ignoring them, and being described as 'enraged' by the attacks), so, thinking of it in a gamist sense, perhaps Smaug wasn't so much 'invulnerable' as he was softened up a bit for the kill by all of the preceding attacks.

If the director / filmwriter wants to have the initial volley at least sting and annoy Smaug, that might make the 'kill shot' seem less like the only damage he took in the fight.

Millennium
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Millennium » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:45 pm

I thought it was too long, felt stretched out, and Jackson was too keen to hold onto thematic influences of TLotR.... but I loved it :)

SPOILERS!!!

SPOILERS!!!

SPOILERS!!!

The moment that got me bought into the film. After this I almost cried when Bilbo ran after them:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRUBe2RTq74

kumori84
Bystander
Bystander

Postby kumori84 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:53 pm

Admittedly I was a bit skeptical on how they were going to make three, three hour movies out of it. But if the next two are as engaging as the first, I don't think I'll have an issue watching the next two.

Millennium
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Millennium » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:02 am

luketheduke86 wrote:My friends and I saw this on Friday and we all really enjoyed it. There is a different feel to it than the LoTR trilogy, but it was the same way with the books. I would advise against seeing the high-frame rate version because I disliked how it looked and found it to be distracting at the beginning. Still a great film and would highly recommend it.

I loved the high frame rate. The image is amazingly sharp and detailed, like looking through a window :)

HenshinFanatic
Groupie
Groupie

Postby HenshinFanatic » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:45 pm

Millennium wrote:
luketheduke86 wrote:My friends and I saw this on Friday and we all really enjoyed it. There is a different feel to it than the LoTR trilogy, but it was the same way with the books. I would advise against seeing the high-frame rate version because I disliked how it looked and found it to be distracting at the beginning. Still a great film and would highly recommend it.

I loved the high frame rate. The image is amazingly sharp and detailed, like looking through a window :)

Was going to post the exact same sentiment Millennium, but you beat me to it so I'll have to settle with seconding your opinion instead.

Bombaatu
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Bombaatu » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:05 pm

HenshinFanatic wrote:
Millennium wrote:I loved the high frame rate. The image is amazingly sharp and detailed, like looking through a window :)

Was going to post the exact same sentiment Millennium, but you beat me to it so I'll have to settle with seconding your opinion instead.

Same here - it made it seem more like watching a play than a movie and it lent a very 'you-are-there' vibe to the experience.

luketheduke86
Hero
Hero

Postby luketheduke86 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:21 am

My problem with the high frame rate was the detachment of the actors from the background, which made the CGI too noticeable to me and ruined some of my suspension of disbelief. Don't get me wrong it was incredibly detailed, but everything just seemed TOO detailed, if that makes any sense...
A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day.

Return to “Sidekicks Lounge”