How do you know that you're a D-list hero?

Discuss anything vaguely M&M related here, such as comics, movies, and action figures.
HappyDaze
Luminary
Luminary

How do you know that you're a D-list hero?

Postby HappyDaze » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:58 am

I just saw a comic titled Aquaman and the Others at the local B&N. I couldn't believe the humor in naming the team after one of the most lackluster heroes ever and then just adding "and the Others" to cover the rest of the bunch. I'll admit, I found the title funny, but I couldn't be bothered to read it (it might even be a good comic, but I have my doubts).

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Re: How do you know that you're a D-list hero?

Postby saint_matthew » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:31 am

HappyDaze wrote:(it might even be a good comic, but I have my doubts).

Actually as far as terrible NU52 titles go, its possibly one of the least bad, bad books I've seen in a while this side of Batwing. Probably its not as bad specifically because its not trying to make unhappy, perpetually pissed off versions of classic DC characters under the insistent logic that being perpetually angry is mature & killing off characters every 30 seconds is edgy.

The book is one of the only books that has to survive entirely on the basis of quality writing, rather than on nostalgia value of a diminishing market audience of disinterested fanboys. So yes the book has to actually have some level of writing in it that is more interesting than the level of writing we are currently getting from most books from DC or Marvel (fan fiction from tumblr level of quality).

As for "the others" that's the team name: Apparently in the NU52 Aquaman joined together with a group of pulp style adventurers & they called themselves "the others" specifically because they weren't the Justice League. Strangely, the weakest character in this title (an by weakest I mean the least interesting) is Aquaman himself: Literally every other character is more interesting.

Ultimately it won't make it to my pull list, as I refuse to support the NU52, even now.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

King Snarf
Paragon
Paragon

Postby King Snarf » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:15 am

Really, DC should just make the Brave and the Bold version of Aquaman the official version. I would buy every issue of The Outrageous Aquaman.
Arriba Flight es muy macho!

Visit my blog! http://teentemplars.blogspot.com

Visit my author page!

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby The_Watchman » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:40 pm

King Snarf wrote:Really, DC should just make the Brave and the Bold version of Aquaman the official version. I would buy every issue of The Outrageous Aquaman.

As would I. But that's from a kids cartoon. AND COMICS AREN'T FOR KIDS, MAN!!!!
"This is all your fault! You shouldn't have taken that cat! You don't teleport into strange metal places and steal pets!"
Builds

Ares
Hero
Hero

Postby Ares » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:26 pm

The_Watchman wrote:
King Snarf wrote:Really, DC should just make the Brave and the Bold version of Aquaman the official version. I would buy every issue of The Outrageous Aquaman.

OUTRAGEOUS!

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby The_Watchman » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:05 pm

Ares wrote:
The_Watchman wrote:

OUTRAGEOUS!

"LEX LUTHOR, YOU THOUGHT THIS SILLY 'DAN DIDIO' DISGUISE WOULD KEEP ME FROM STOPPING YOUR VILLAINY?!"
"This is all your fault! You shouldn't have taken that cat! You don't teleport into strange metal places and steal pets!"
Builds

Return to “Sidekicks Lounge”