Why isn't Captain Marvel more popular?

Discuss anything vaguely M&M related here, such as comics, movies, and action figures.
TheSander
Groupie
Groupie

Re: Why isn't Captain Marvel more popular?

Postby TheSander » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:26 pm

But it wasn't her hitting him with a lightning bolt, it was her forcing him to say his magic word.
As far as I know, Captain Marvel should be resistant to magic, except high level one, and this Zatanna is still a teenager, certainly not a mystical powerhouse.
I could have accepted it if it had been done by I more powerful magician, like Dr. Fate or the like, but not by her and not like that.

Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Shock » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:30 pm

TheSander wrote:But it wasn't her hitting him with a lightning bolt, it was her forcing him to say his magic word.
As far as I know, Captain Marvel should be resistant to magic, except high level one, and this Zatanna is still a teenager, certainly not a mystical powerhouse.
I could have accepted it if it had been done by I more powerful magician, like Dr. Fate or the like, but not by her and not like that.

I don't remember an instance of Zatanna's magic not working, regardless of who it was targeted at.

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby The_Watchman » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:02 pm

TheSander wrote:But it wasn't her hitting him with a lightning bolt, it was her forcing him to say his magic word.

I think a far more impressive response would have been for CM to say the word then just move out of the way of the lightning bolt (as he has on several occasions). Clever gets you far but the Speed of Mercury gets you farther. ;)

Edit: One might also argue that CM willingly failed his will save so to speak as it gave him a way to escape a greater danger (being the light's puppet). Since the Wisdom of Solomon is explicitly a power of his rather than a component of his own mental training or fortitude, it could make sense for it to have some ability to work against the brainwashing.
"This is all your fault! You shouldn't have taken that cat! You don't teleport into strange metal places and steal pets!"
Builds

Ares
Hero
Hero

Postby Ares » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:09 pm

Pre-Crisis there was two or three instances of enough electrical energy being able to transform a Marvel Family member, but it was pretty isolated. Post Crisis, the only one to suffer that was Freddy, and that was apparently due to his powers being weaker due to coming from Cap rather than Shazam.

As for the bit with Zatanna, Greg Weisman said on his Q&A board that he didn't necesarrily feel Cap was highly magical resistant, even though that aspect of the character was heavily played up in later years. A Marvel could resist Wondef Woman's lasso as far back as the Bronze Age. Still, I look at it like Watchman did, where he opted not to resist in order to be taken out of the fight, or he was taken off guard and wasn't expecting that kind of attack. Brainwave amped Mr. Mind was once able to get Cap to say the word while Black Adam had him distracted, via essentially a psychic sucker punch. Still, I opt for what makes Cap look better. :)

My bigger issue was during the Despero fight. Cap calls down the lightning, which didn't take Despero out. Instead of immediately saying 'Shazam' again, he goes, "I really thought that would have worked." You had word to say to stay in the fight Billy. This is what I mean when I say the League often had to job for the kids benefit.

Mr Mole
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Mr Mole » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:36 pm

D'oh! I had to review that episode, but I see what you're saying now. The subtitles on Netflix just say "[CASTING SPELL]," which doesn't help any, but I think Zatanna says "Tulb tou MAZAHS!," if I'm hearing her correctly. (I had to replay that part a half-dozen times to pick out the words.)

That said, as Captain Marvel was being remote controlled by Klarion the Witch Boy at that time, I doubt he was running at 100% capacity. Batman and Superman were obviously not operating at top form or they would've demolished Robin and Superboy, and I suspect the same could be said of Captain Marvel and the rest of the Justice League.

As for YJ vs A:EMH... I really liked 'em both... A lot... But I liked YJ a little bit better on almost every level. Both were cancelled way too early, triggering near-Firefly level nerdrage in me... :shock:

danelsan
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby danelsan » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:03 pm

There isn't much difference in practice, but as far as I know Young Justice was not cancelled, the team that worked on it simply was not hired to do more seasons. It is not like they were promised they'd be doing more than the two seasons we got.

I don't know the situation with Earth's Mightiest Heroes, though I suspect it is similar.

Of course, that didn't make me any less disappointed for not having those two cartoons anymore.

*Flies away dressed as Captain Nitpick*
My DeviantArt page
Batgirl avatar by ArtNerdEm

Mr Mole
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Mr Mole » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:24 pm

Okay, Cap'n,,, Both were discontinued way too early, triggering near-Firefly level nerdrage in me... :roll:

...And no one wants to see that kind of nerdrage coming from a mole... It's just not a good thing...

Return to “Sidekicks Lounge”