Batman: Assault on Arkham

Discuss anything vaguely M&M related here, such as comics, movies, and action figures.
kingk
Cohort
Cohort

Batman: Assault on Arkham

Postby kingk » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:26 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A10WL8xVUV4

Found the above link on Reddit. Thoughts? I know personally I'm disappointed that it seems to be heavily involving the Suicide Squad, as cool as they are, since this looks just so violently gritty. When i heard the rumors about an Arkham movie, I hoped it would be slow and moody like the first game. And I just don't like the animation style. Having just read an article talking about how DC is lagging behind in the live action movies because of its inability to do anything but make its characters grim and gritty, this is disappointing.

ghostman76
Luminary
Luminary

Re: Batman: Assault on Arkham

Postby ghostman76 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:46 am

As has been pointed out many times on this board, it's asinine that DC's animation division doesn't think they can release an animated movie that doesn't star either Batman, Superman, or the Justice League. Could this have been a straight up Suicide Squad movie without the inclusion of Batman or the Arkham game setting? Yep, sure could have...but then again, this story may have never gotten past the pitch meeting if they DIDN'T have the connection to Batman and the games, which have all been massive sellers.

That was all the negative btw...my positive thoughts are that I love the Suicide Squad and getting a movie that seems to feature them so prominently makes me very happy, especially since this is the first I'd heard that they were going to be in this movie. I've always heard of it as "The Arkham Game" movie. The animation looks good to me. Yes, it's dark and gritty, but to me, that's just in keeping with the setting of the games, which are VERY dark. There are certain sequences of that game that have an atmosphere that is reminiscent of survival horror, and I'm not even talking about the Scarecrow levels. Maybe it was just me, but the Ras Al Ghul level, where you are wandering around Old Gotham under the sewers where this whole dead city just lies in ruins was really spooky to me.

Also....Conroy and Hamill as Batman and Joker? That guarantees my ass in a seat (so to speak). Or was that Troy Baker as Joker? If so...good lord...I really can't tell the difference anymore.
"One must first experience pain in order to be able to appreciate it's absence."

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Re: Batman: Assault on Arkham

Postby saint_matthew » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:01 pm

ghostman76 wrote:I've always heard of it as "The Arkham Game" movie.

I would much rather that than the animated NU52's version of Batman, that I've started to call "Winged Armadillo Man," due to the design issues. I quite like the Arkham Game series, with the obvious exception of Arkham Origins (but to be fair I don't think any of us thought that was up to scratch).
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

Return to “Sidekicks Lounge”