Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Discuss anything vaguely M&M related here, such as comics, movies, and action figures.
The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Postby The_Watchman » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:18 pm

Oh man, I totally forgot Batroc (which is ironic since I literally had to cover my mouth to keep from...well...squealing with delight when that fight started). It was great to see a demonstration that Batroc is actually a dangerous combatant, especially without the silliness of his comic version. It's especially funny considering Brubaker was one of the writers that really showed off Batroc as a strong physical challenge (for Bucky-Cap anyway). Hopefully we'll get to see more of Batroc in other movies or in one of the TV series. His savate just looked great.
"This is all your fault! You shouldn't have taken that cat! You don't teleport into strange metal places and steal pets!"
Builds

danelsan
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby danelsan » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:42 pm

The_Watchman wrote:Oh man, I totally forgot Batroc (which is ironic since I literally had to cover my mouth to keep from...well...squealing with delight when that fight started). It was great to see a demonstration that Batroc is actually a dangerous combatant, especially without the silliness of his comic version. It's especially funny considering Brubaker was one of the writers that really showed off Batroc as a strong physical challenge (for Bucky-Cap anyway). Hopefully we'll get to see more of Batroc in other movies or in one of the TV series. His savate just looked great.

That is what you get with the amazing fighting choreography in the movie and freaking Georges St-Pierre playing Batroc
My DeviantArt page
Batgirl avatar by ArtNerdEm

Goldar
Disciple
Disciple

Postby Goldar » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:47 am

The_Watchman wrote:Oh man, I totally forgot Batroc (which is ironic since I literally had to cover my mouth to keep from...well...squealing with delight when that fight started). His savate just looked great.

That's OK because the fight was so early on in the movie, and so much more good stuff happened after that! But I concur that the fight was awesome to watch!

I really enjoyed this movie for many reasons. The savate fighting looking fantastic, the WS' metallic arm looking realistic, Cap's strength so accurrately displayed and demonstrated on-screen---not too strong and yet not too weak. His hits pushed people and objects just right as someone of that strength level would.

danelsan
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby danelsan » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:52 pm

Well, just about everything I wanted to say about this movie is already said by other people so, on a different track: Man, Cobie Smulders is a total knockout. Despite Scarlett Johansson being a beautiful woman and me being a total sucker for redheads, and me usually preferring ladies with longer hair, I still think Maria Hill is the best looking character in the movie
My DeviantArt page

Mr Mole
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Mr Mole » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:30 pm

danelsan wrote:Well, just about everything I wanted to say about this movie is already said by other people so, on a different track: Man, Cobie Smulders is a total knockout. Despite Scarlett Johansson being a beautiful woman and me being a total sucker for redheads, and me usually preferring ladies with longer hair, I still think Maria Hill is the best looking character in the movie

No offense to Mz Johansson, but I agree. Then again, I've long preferred brunettes, so I may have a very slight bias. :roll:

Thakowsaizmu
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Thakowsaizmu » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:49 pm

danelsan wrote:Well, just about everything I wanted to say about this movie is already said by other people so, on a different track: Man, Cobie Smulders is a total knockout. Despite Scarlett Johansson being a beautiful woman and me being a total sucker for redheads, and me usually preferring ladies with longer hair, I still think Maria Hill is the best looking character in the movie

It's her attitude (for me) that makes her that much hotter
♀♥♀
百年如石、一點如漆

ghostman76
Luminary
Luminary

Postby ghostman76 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:52 pm

So much has been said that I agree with it's hard to find something else to comment on other than just saying OMG OMG Cap 2 is awesome! But I can hopefully contribute a few things without ever mentioning Man of Steel (does that count as a mention? Dammit!)

In the comics I've never really liked Falcon. He's an ok character, but not one of my personal favorites. I hate that for a long time he was kind of seen as Marvel's Aquaman (another character that does not deserve the deriding he gets). Hopefully this movie will change that thinking, because Anthony Mackie rocks as Falcon in this movie. I really loved his backstory as someone who works with vets to help them overcome their issues of returning home from combat. Thought that was a really good way to show him as a hero before he ever strapped on the wings. I think anyone who feels that Falcon was shown as some sort of subservient, outclassed jr. partner to Cap because of the running scene or because he tells Fury, "Don't look at me, I do what he does, only slower." are really reaching for something to be negative about. As someone else said, Falcon is a full hero in his own right, and he provides skills that Cap doesn't have.

Man, Robert Redford was brilliant as Alexander Pierce. His part was brilliantly written. I'm a sucker for villains with nuance and aren't just cackling mad men. I also like it when it's not just chaos that can be viewed as evil, but also order can be too if done improperly. The movie also had a great bit that just destroyed the argument of the villain with one line that was on par with X-men when Magneto gave his speech about mutants being better than humans and Wolverine tells him, "You're so full of shit...if you were so righteous, it'd be you up there in that machine." In this one it's when Pierce says, "I'm willing to kill 20 million to save 7 billion. It's the next logical step, if you have the courage to take it." and Fury states, "I have the courage to not take it." That's just excellent. I'm also very, very happy that Pierce wasn't The Red Skull in disguise. Him being his own man, even with the Hydra connection was much better I think.

Also...Scarlett Johansson did an even better job of being Black Widow this time I think. She displayed more depth and really seemed to have a world weariness that has not been as evident in her other portrayals of Natasha. Also also....she is just so, so very hot.

I was very happy with this movie, and would have to say I liked it better than TFA. The only other Marvel movie that can touch it is the first Iron Man. I don't even try to put Avengers in the countdown, because that movie is just such a culmination of all my time at my parents coffee table with my Secret Wars and Super Powers figures making my own ultimate crossovers that I am crushed beneath the weight of my own bias. lol
"One must first experience pain in order to be able to appreciate it's absence."

Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:27 am

Beleriphon wrote:My favourite part is the name drop during a certain character's interrogation by Cap and Black Widow. The name that caught my attention most was Stephen Strange.

Caught that too.

I also like the Easter Egg near the end... all I will say is 25:17. :mrgreen:

I also like that Cap doesn`t have Tech Shock or even culture shock to deal with. He`s adapting to the world rather well, likes some of the old ways more than the new and definitely prefers his ideals to those of today...

As for Falcon, he said it best "Captain America needs my help." When he put his "resumé" on the table, both Cap and Widow were clearly impressed. Fact is as well, until that point Falcon downplayed his achievements quite a bit.

Batroc was well handled - even his choice of clothing kinda reflected his comic version (minus the hood of course...)

ghostman76 wrote:Also...Scarlett Johansson did an even better job of being Black Widow this time I think. She displayed more depth and really seemed to have a world weariness that has not been as evident in her other portrayals of Natasha. Also also....she is just so, so very hot.

I think it was the hair, apart from the original appearance in Iron Man 2, I think it`s the best take yet. I found IM2 the hair was meant to emphasize her hotness to distract Tony further, in Avengers it was just wrong and here it`s absolutely perfect...

As for the ending scenes, I found them to be among the more bland of the lotto date, but that could be because the trailers were back to back Marvel trailers.... Spidey, Guardians, X-Men... Pure nerd heaven.

Stormson
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Stormson » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:24 pm

lol trailers at my theatre were all for television shows. Im like "uh theatres, are you trying to convince me to not come here"?

ghostman76
Luminary
Luminary

Postby ghostman76 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:55 pm

We saw it in the biggest IMAX 3D theatre around my neighborhood and I think there was about 20 minutes of previews. We probably saw previews for every movie coming out for the next 6 months. :lol:
"One must first experience pain in order to be able to appreciate it's absence."

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:11 pm

Stormson wrote:lol trailers at my theatre were all for television shows. Im like "uh theatres, are you trying to convince me to not come here"?

Didn't they already do that with sky high ticket sales & candy bar prices?
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

Stormson
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Stormson » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:07 am

what amazed me is it was a bunch of nbc shows previewed, and not Agents of Shield, which would be the only tv preview I'd expect at a theatre.

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby The_Watchman » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:59 am

Stormson wrote:what amazed me is it was a bunch of nbc shows previewed, and not Agents of Shield, which would be the only tv preview I'd expect at a theatre.

The choice of TV shows advertised rarely makes any sense to me. I can't count the number of times I saw Pretty Little Liars advertised in front of an action or sci-fi movie.
"This is all your fault! You shouldn't have taken that cat! You don't teleport into strange metal places and steal pets!"
Builds

Corrigon
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Corrigon » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:45 pm

It was certainly better than Thor The Dark world which I think has been the weakest.

danelsan
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby danelsan » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:32 pm

Heh, it has been pointed out to me a Pulp Fiction easter egg on this movie. Not very easy to notice. Anyone here saw it?
My DeviantArt page

Return to “Sidekicks Lounge”