Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Discuss anything vaguely M&M related here, such as comics, movies, and action figures.
Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Postby Charles Phipps » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:08 am

A thread for discussing the movie if and when you've seen it.

*thumbs up*

Which I did at a midnight showing.

http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogsp ... r-non.html

Mr Mole
Firebrand
Firebrand

Re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Postby Mr Mole » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:21 am

I only rarely go to the theater to watch a movie... Sometimes years between... But I'm seriously considering seeing this one this weekend... :mrgreen:

Thakowsaizmu
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Thakowsaizmu » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:26 am

I'm going either tonight or tomorrow :)
♀♥♀
百年如石、一點如漆

ghostman76
Luminary
Luminary

Postby ghostman76 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:37 pm

My lady hates seeing movies on opening weekends because of the crowds making the viewing experience horrible, but I think I've got her talked into going to see it on Monday. She LOVED the first one, and Cap is her favorite Avenger.
"One must first experience pain in order to be able to appreciate it's absence."

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby The_Watchman » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:43 pm

I thought it was fantastic. The First Avenger was already my favorite of the Phase One films (being a huge WW II adventure film fan) but this was way beyond my expectations. The best summary I've seen is to imagine a taut Bourne-like espionage thriller and throw Captain America into the middle of it. In some ways, it feels like the very opposite of Man of Steel. It's a movie with a hero that is unabashedly heroic and on the side of good no matter what the world may say. And best of all, doesn't try to drag him down to be more "mature". It condemns the very mindset that lies behind movies like Man of Steel. Cap absolutely recognizes the nature of the world but refuses to compromise what is good for what is expedient. The writers just absolutely nail the character and even beyond the Winter Soldier bits, it feels like the best kinds of Captain America story.

The casting was excellent. I deeply hope we see Sam Wilson taking flight in Age of Ultron and for the first time ever, I actually think a Black Widow movie could work. She and Cap seem to be fairly close in their screen time and the Falcon definitely gets a good bit of spotlight as well. Lumlow and Hill could have gotten some more screen time but are used well. Probably the only character that felt perfunctory was "the nurse" but I expect she'll be in more focus when Cap 3 comes along.

And then there's that second act moment... I definitely don't want to spoil it but it's a great twists that is so perfectly choreographed but still completely took me by surprise.

The After-credits scenes weren't anything overly fantastic but the first one made for a decent bit of foreshadowing.
"This is all your fault! You shouldn't have taken that cat! You don't teleport into strange metal places and steal pets!"
Builds

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:09 pm

http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogsp ... oiler.html

Here's my spoiler review if anyone is interested.

Great movie.

witchfire
Zealot
Zealot

Postby witchfire » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:09 am

seen it ,loved it, can't wait for the fallout in Agents of Shield

my only dripe : for the head of an intel agency Rob Redfrot isn't realy up on current
even (Stark has scraped all his iron man armor so he can't come to your grand daughter's birthday)
Last edited by witchfire on Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Some people struggle daily
They struggle with their concience
'Til the end
I have no guilt to haunt me
I feel no wrong intent

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:33 am

I actually quite enjoyed it... It was nice to see a character who actually does the right thing because its the right thing. Though I do want to rename this movie.... I want to rename it "Patriot Act: The Movie"
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Postby badpenny » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:27 pm

So, so good. As my eight year old niece proclaimed (who is the BIGGEST Black Widow fan), "That was double awesome!"

No higher praise could be possible. :mrgreen:

I highly recommend seeing it in IMAX 3D because those Falcon flying scenes were worth the price of admission alone.

Beleriphon
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Beleriphon » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:24 pm

My favourite part is the name drop during a certain character's interrogation by Cap and Black Widow. The name that caught my attention most was Stephen Strange.

Thakowsaizmu
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Thakowsaizmu » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:58 pm

I liked it a lot. I also liked that Black Widow was better written this time around.
♀♥♀
百年如石、一點如漆

Dragonblade
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Dragonblade » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:52 pm

I saw it and liked it. Definitely one of the better Marvel movies to date.

Cap did pay some more lip service to his idealism in terms of dialog, something that Man of Steel didn't handle as well. But I never saw Cap and others going out of their way to help innocents getting caught in the crossfire. Sorry, but there was little difference between this and Man of Steel in terms of collateral damage, and the heroes generally being completely oblivious to innocent people being completely blown away all around them. I know some folks like to dump on Man of Steel, but if you are trying to say this movie was totally different in terms of handling collateral damage, well I have to call shenanigans on that.

In fact, far more so than Man of Steel, this movie so conspicuously avoided showing any of the consequences of that destruction, that I found it disconcerting. It was as if every building demolished, or car crashed, blown up, or shot at, was completely empty. You never saw the people inside them, or how they were clearly getting killed and injured. It was weird.

Still, the action was well staged, the fight scenes excitingly choreographed, and the dialog was great. Clearly one can see Whedon's hand in everything post-Avengers. Especially Thor 2 which I liked as well as this film.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:04 am

Dragonblade wrote:I saw it and liked it. Definitely one of the better Marvel movies to date.

Cap did pay some more lip service to his idealism in terms of dialog, something that Man of Steel didn't handle as well. But I never saw Cap and others going out of their way to help innocents getting caught in the crossfire. Sorry, but there was little difference between this and Man of Steel in terms of collateral damage, and the heroes generally being completely oblivious to innocent people being completely blown away all around them. I know some folks like to dump on Man of Steel, but if you are trying to say this movie was totally different in terms of handling collateral damage, well I have to call shenanigans on that.

Uh-uh.

1. It was over a SHIELD base, not a city.
2. The SHIELD base was being evacuated.
3. The Hellicarriers were all Hydra personnel.

In other words, a LOT less collateral damage.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:06 am

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:13 am

Charles Phipps wrote:1. It was over a SHIELD base, not a city.
2. The SHIELD base was being evacuated.
3. The Hellicarriers were all Hydra personnel.

4. Didn't involve a gravity collider being shot through the Earth destabilising many tectonic plates.
5. Thousands of people didn't die due to entire city blocks full of high rises being decimated.
6. Cap doesn't snap Buckys neck.
7. No product placement on the shit they did blow up.
8. Entire planet does not explode.

Anyone else want to add anything else to this list?
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

Return to “Sidekicks Lounge”