Nu-52 = Marvel's Ultimates Universe

Discuss anything vaguely M&M related here, such as comics, movies, and action figures.
Ares
Hero
Hero

Nu-52 = Marvel's Ultimates Universe

Postby Ares » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:50 pm

I remember a while back, the Ultimate Marvel U was so popular, Marvel was supposedly toying with the idea of making it their primary universe and slowly push the 616 MU on the backburner. Given how things ultimately (pun intended) turned out for that setting, Marvel's probably glad they stuck with the classic 616 verse, even if they stilllet Bendis play in it.

Thinking about that, I started to wonder if maybe the Nu-52 wasn't basically DC going through with the idea where Marvel didn't. I mean, it's basically a darker version of the classic universe where everyone got de-aged, most of the characters have new outfits with a more 'extreme' look to them, there's a bigger emphasis on sex, the violence is a bit more graphic, and a lot of the characters come off as jerks compared to their old selves.

So is it just me, or does this analogy make sense to anyone else?

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Re: Nu-52 = Marvel's Ultimates Universe

Postby saint_matthew » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:18 pm

Nope. NU52 isn't so much Ultimate DC, as much as its DC's version of Heroes Reborn. You know, terrible derivative art all redesigned by a single mid 90s image art designer with only limited design ability, rehashing stories that were told better under the old paradigm.... all told with a single plot line for all books, told around an abbreviated timeline, ultimately (no pun intended) discarded when people realised it was a bad idea.... I'm just waiting for DC to decide it was a bad idea and then undo it.

Though it would be ironic if the guy to undo it was Superboy Prime, punching the walls of reality.... He'd go full circle & redeem himself as a hero. :lol:
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

ghostman76
Luminary
Luminary

Postby ghostman76 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:25 pm

saint_matthew wrote:I'm just waiting for DC to decide it was a bad idea and then undo it.
Though it would be ironic if the guy to undo it was Superboy Prime, punching the walls of reality.... He'd go full circle & redeem himself as a hero. :lol:

You have no idea how happy this would make me because the words don't exist to express the depth of my joy if it were to occur.
"One must first experience pain in order to be able to appreciate it's absence."

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:19 pm

ghostman76 wrote:
saint_matthew wrote:I'm just waiting for DC to decide it was a bad idea and then undo it.

You have no idea how happy this would make me because the words don't exist to express the depth of my joy if it were to occur.

Trust me, you wouldn't be the only one.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

Mr Mole
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Mr Mole » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:08 pm

saint_matthew wrote:
ghostman76 wrote:

Trust me, you wouldn't be the only one.

+1 this.

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:28 am

Just as an off topic if anyone here gets bored, jump onto youtube & look up "Alan Moore Hates Comic Fans - Rant #45" It may be the best comic book rant I've seen so far this year, but be warned it contains course language.
-Isaac Asimov

Return to “Sidekicks Lounge”