Flash TV show releases full look at the costume

Discuss anything vaguely M&M related here, such as comics, movies, and action figures.
ghostman76
Luminary
Luminary

Flash TV show releases full look at the costume

Postby ghostman76 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:42 pm

Saw this on Newsarama, thought the Think Tankers might want to see it.

http://www.newsarama.com/20533-the-cw-s-the-flash-full-costume.html

All in all....not bad says I. My initial reaction is better for this costume than the first time I saw Ollie's from Arrow, and it's better than anything that was ever on Smallville.

Now I just hope that the SFX do the Carmine Infantino thing with the multiples of The Flash to indicate his super speed! That would be rad to see. :mrgreen:
"One must first experience pain in order to be able to appreciate it's absence."

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Re: Flash TV show releases full look at the costume

Postby The_Watchman » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:28 pm

It is the best live action costume in a DC property in the last...umm...ever. Though that's really damning with faint praise.
"This is all your fault! You shouldn't have taken that cat! You don't teleport into strange metal places and steal pets!"
Builds

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:58 pm

The_Watchman wrote:It is the best live action costume in a DC property in the last...umm...ever. Though that's really damning with faint praise.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one. That nebulous honour has to go to Dean Cains Superman costume in the adventures of Lois & Clark.

Personally I'm not a fan of WB's moronic need to add prominent artificial textures to superhero costumes & the flash one is no different.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

danelsan
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby danelsan » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:01 pm

It would look better if it was closer to a runner's speedsuit instead of leather, in my opinion
My DeviantArt page
Batgirl avatar by ArtNerdEm

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:08 pm

danelsan wrote:It would look better if it was closer to a runner's speedsuit instead of leather, in my opinion

That's what I was thinking. More like bicycle riders, or sprinters lycra. Something that's light, because this looks really heavy & if there is one thing the flash is not its heavy.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

Kyle
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Kyle » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:25 pm

The textured bits looks similar to what cross country skiers wear to wick away moisture, so that bit at least makes sense.

I kinda like it. A bit dark, but it could have been much worse. Even though it contributes to the costume looking "busy", the various panels and materials do make it look as though it would be flexible enough to move in. If nothing else, it's a step up from Arrow's tight leather pants, and peripheral vision obscuring hood.

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby The_Watchman » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:21 am

saint_matthew wrote:
The_Watchman wrote:It is the best live action costume in a DC property in the last...umm...ever. Though that's really damning with faint praise.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one. That nebulous honour has to go to Dean Cains Superman costume in the adventures of Lois & Clark.

I suppose I should amend my statement to exclude costumes that were essentially the costume straight from the comics (i.e. most Superman costumes before Superman Returns) as I think Dean Cain and Christopher Reeve did a good job of pulling off their Superman costumes (back before Superman wearing bright colors was considered lame or whatever the current justification is).

On that note, how crazy was Lois and Clark? I was thinking about it the other day and its amazing how far that show managed to stray from its source material while still being fairly entertaining. I mean they killed off Lex Luthor in the first season! It might just be that I'm biased towards Lois and Clark as a couple but that show was so refreshing in its focus on their relationship. Plus it had some excellent supporting actors with Perry White and the Kents. This may just be nostalgia talking. Anyway...

It would look better if it was closer to a runner's speedsuit instead of leather, in my opinion

Agreed. It seems like they were going that direction but still wanted to get in the whole busy leather armor thing that all DC costumes seem to have. Of course, that's basically comics accurate these days...
"This is all your fault! You shouldn't have taken that cat! You don't teleport into strange metal places and steal pets!"
Builds

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby The_Watchman » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:21 am

Picture from the set

I think it looks a bit better without him being in that absurd pose from the original still. I wish there was more color (like continuing the yellow piping around those lightning bolts on his legs) and the leather is a bit busy but overall, looks decent and doesn't impede movement. I don't know why I didn't pick it up sooner but it looks a lot like Captain America's costumes from the Avengers movies. Hopefully the effects are up to snuff and the writers manage to give us a DC hero that's not a brooding vigilante.
Builds

ghostman76
Luminary
Luminary

Postby ghostman76 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:00 pm

Wow....seeing the costume like this makes me like it even more than the original picture. I think it looks pretty good, especially for a TV show budget.
"One must first experience pain in order to be able to appreciate it's absence."

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby The_Watchman » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:28 pm

You know, it didn't really occur to me until I was looking at this costume just how weird it is that the Flash wears long boots instead of more flexible shoes or hard soles built into a flexible costume (ala the costume from the Amazing Spider-man). I'm not a runner but I can't imagine boots are comfortable for long distance running even if you have the Speed Force. Of course, basically every speedster wears them as part of the general superhero costume trend...
Builds

danelsan
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby danelsan » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:31 pm

The_Watchman wrote:On that note, how crazy was Lois and Clark? I was thinking about it the other day and its amazing how far that show managed to stray from its source material while still being fairly entertaining. I mean they killed off Lex Luthor in the first season! It might just be that I'm biased towards Lois and Clark as a couple but that show was so refreshing in its focus on their relationship. Plus it had some excellent supporting actors with Perry White and the Kents. This may just be nostalgia talking. Anyway...

I barely remember that show, but I do recall a tidbit from a John Byrne interview regarding the show...a little googling should find the exact quote...ah, here:

Craig Byrne (interviewer, not related to John, last name is simply a coincidence) wrote:Do you see any flaws in the "L&C" series that you think could be improved?

John Byrne wrote:I think Teri Hatcher should appear totally nude at least three times per episode. Otherwise, I have no complaints.
My DeviantArt page
Batgirl avatar by ArtNerdEm

Thakowsaizmu
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Thakowsaizmu » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:02 pm

You stand corrected :P
♀♥♀
百年如石、一點如漆

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:18 pm

danelsan wrote:I barely remember that show, but I do recall a tidbit from a John Byrne interview regarding the show...a little googling should find the exact quote...ah, here:

Craig Byrne (interviewer, not related to John, last name is simply a coincidence) wrote:Do you see any flaws in the "L&C" series that you think could be improved?

John Byrne wrote:I think Teri Hatcher should appear totally nude at least three times per episode. Otherwise, I have no complaints.

Ah John Byrne, I always love it when you say things other people consider dickish.... Because they are usually just insightfully saying things everyone else has been told they are not allowed to say.
-Isaac Asimov

Darrin Kelley
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Darrin Kelley » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:29 pm

Thakowsaizmu wrote:Image
You stand corrected :P

I liked that Flash series when it originally aired. But it kept getting interrupted by stupid sports broadcasts. So actually seeing on the schedule was dicey at best.

It just plainly wasn't allowed by the network to succeed. And that was a very big shame. Because it was a good show and deserved way better than the shoddy treatment it got.

On cable, it would have generated many seasons. But on network TV, it never even had a chance.

Thakowsaizmu
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Thakowsaizmu » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:40 pm

I bought my Girlfriend the entire series for $20. I mean, it's definitely a 90s series, but it was pretty good.
♀♥♀
百年如石、一點如漆

Return to “Sidekicks Lounge”