NBC's Heroes Reborn

Discuss anything vaguely M&M related here, such as comics, movies, and action figures.
King Snarf
Paragon
Paragon

NBC's Heroes Reborn

Postby King Snarf » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:56 pm

This is a thing that is happening. NBC is rebooting the show with a 13 episode mini-series in 2015. Which... yeah.
Arriba Flight es muy macho!

Visit my blog! http://teentemplars.blogspot.com

Visit my author page!

ghostman76
Luminary
Luminary

Re: NBC's Heroes Reborn

Postby ghostman76 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:53 pm

Heroes was a show that for me started off pretty good, but by the season one finale it was clear that the show was not one with a forward progressing storyline. It only went downhill from there.

If there was a new showrunner, then I might be more excited by this announcement....but it's still the same guy. Unless he's learned a lot from the first series, I wouldn't expect too much from this one either.
"One must first experience pain in order to be able to appreciate it's absence."

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:28 am

ghostman76 wrote:Heroes was a show that for me started off pretty good, but by the conclusion of the first episode it was clear that the show was not one with a forward progressing storyline. It only went downhill from there.

I fixed it for you..... You're welcome. :D
Last edited by saint_matthew on Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

tomorrow
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby tomorrow » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:29 am

Yeah, I liked Heroes but the series as a whole was very messy and seemingly just plain mishandled story/character-wise. I swear at times it basically felt like their was no discussions going on between the folks writing and directing individual episodes. Plot points were raised and dropped seemingly at random, again and again. I can't even count the number of times where the show basically went,

"This is it, this is what we've been building to, this is where things are going... eh... actually nevermind... that's totally not important, we're not even going to mention it ever again... probably best to forget we ever brought it up."

Of course the show also had the issue of being unable to decide whether a brutal megalomaniac serial killer was a good guy or a bad guy simply because the actor portraying him became very popular.

DSumner
Hero
Hero

Postby DSumner » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:13 am

ghostman76 wrote:Heroes was a show that for me started off pretty good, but by the season one finale it was clear that the show was not one with a forward progressing storyline. It only went downhill from there.

Heroes started with pretty interesting storyline, but I think that once things got rolling, they were forced to make changes to make it conform to what the network felt comfortable with. Plots like the pecog artist who could only see the future when he was high on heroin went nowhere (and that was one of the more interesting plots). And lets not get me started on Skyler.

As far as the new show goes, I think I'll wait to hear a some word of mouth feedback on it, before I set my DVR to record.
"There is no such thing as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Death is certain, life is not."

Mr Mole
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Mr Mole » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:33 am

tomorrow wrote:"This is it, this is what we've been building to, this is where things are going... eh... actually nevermind... that's totally not important, we're not even going to mention it ever again... probably best to forget we ever brought it up."

That's pretty much my take on Heroes as well.

I'll reserve judgement on any new series for now keep to my usual "high hopes, low expectations" approach.

Sidious
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Sidious » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:44 am

I'm trying to rewatch it. Starting from ep1. (by trying I mean I can't find anything else on at the moment.)

This is going to be a test of will and Sanity.
Live fast. Love hard. Die with your mask on.

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arkrite » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:56 am

Stop at the end of season 1. Nothing worth seeing after that.

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby The_Watchman » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:14 am

Maybe they could replace Jeph Loeb with Rob Liefeld. I think I would honestly watch Heroes as done by Rob Liefeld.
"This is all your fault! You shouldn't have taken that cat! You don't teleport into strange metal places and steal pets!"
Builds

Stormson
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Stormson » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:03 pm

I think Heroes is a show that had promise but was utterly wrecked by the writer strike during the second season, and it obviously shows after that. I have friends that absolutely loved the entire run, but they also don't like and don't keep up with comics.

I think it coming back as a miniseries with set beginning and end point would work better for it, but I also don't think people should be getting their hopes up with what may be back from the original series. I think the chances of Sylar and Claire showing up are minimal at best, and think that might be a good thing.

King Snarf
Paragon
Paragon

Postby King Snarf » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:09 pm

Stormson wrote:I think Heroes is a show that had promise but was utterly wrecked by the writer strike during the second season, and it obviously shows after that. I have friends that absolutely loved the entire run, but they also don't like and don't keep up with comics.

I think it coming back as a miniseries with set beginning and end point would work better for it, but I also don't think people should be getting their hopes up with what may be back from the original series. I think the chances of Sylar and Claire showing up are minimal at best, and think that might be a good thing.

Hiro isn't probably going to be around much, either, as Masi Oka has a very comfortable spot on Hawaii 5-0 right now.
Arriba Flight es muy macho!

Visit my blog! http://teentemplars.blogspot.com

Visit my author page!

Setothes
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Setothes » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:24 pm

That show would have been well served by the writers sitting down to play a few games of M&M, and get an idea how to tell a story involving people with super-powers, instead of being stuck every single season (sometimes several times in a single season) finding excuses for why Hiro and / or Peter's powers conveniently couldn't be used to solve anything (by depowering them, making Hiro unwilling to use his powers for the duration of crisis X, changing their powers, shoving Peter off into another time, etc. etc.).

If they couldn't figure out how to write for people with super-powers, perhaps they shouldn't have committed to writing a show about people with super-powers...

They seemed much better able to write for characters with a specific limited use power, like Elle with her lightning blasts, or Nathan with his flight, or Nikki with her super-strength, only to inevitably kill off the characters they actually could handle, in favor of those they didn't seem to be able to get a grip on.

ghostman76
Luminary
Luminary

Postby ghostman76 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:39 pm

They made a huuuuuge mistake with both Peter and Sylar and how their powers worked. I get that they wanted Peter to be the ultimate paragon hero with ALL THE POWERS and Sylar was the homicidal dark mirror image of him. That's all well and good.

The problem was that when they acquired a new power, it was permanent. Eventually, both of them became just too damned powerful to be able to be involved in the story. It would have been an easy problem to solve too. Just have their ability to absorb powers be temporary. That way Sylar keeps his "power vampire" evil style by needing to constantly refresh his powers and Peter doesn't become an amalgam of Superman, Captain Marvel, and Martian Manhunter.

The other major problem was the show just didn't have the budget to pull off a serious "pull out all the stops" super powered show down, even for a season finale. The exact moment I abandoned all hope for the show was when Peter and Sylar were going to have their big showdown that had been brewing all season long and then Peter storms into the room with Sylar and the whole fight takes place behind closed doors with lights flashing around the edge of the door. It was a joke.
"One must first experience pain in order to be able to appreciate it's absence."

roguescribner
Paragon
Paragon

Postby roguescribner » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:40 pm

ghostman76 wrote:Heroes was a show that for me started off pretty good, but by the season one finale it was clear that the show was not one with a forward progressing storyline. It only went downhill from there.

If there was a new showrunner, then I might be more excited by this announcement....but it's still the same guy. Unless he's learned a lot from the first series, I wouldn't expect too much from this one either.

+1
GM - Age of Heroes Chapter 2
Sarvak - The Injustice Gang

Dragonblade
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Dragonblade » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:07 am

ghostman76 wrote:The other major problem was the show just didn't have the budget to pull off a serious "pull out all the stops" super powered show down, even for a season finale. The exact moment I abandoned all hope for the show was when Peter and Sylar were going to have their big showdown that had been brewing all season long and then Peter storms into the room with Sylar and the whole fight takes place behind closed doors with lights flashing around the edge of the door. It was a joke.

Yeah, I lost all interest in the show when that happened. I was so annoyed. I wanted to see a big epic fight.

Also, I wanted them to build everything up to a real superhero universe. I totally saw Peter setting up a Justice League or something. That would have been awesome. Also, back off a bit on the cloak and dagger stuff. There is no way people with powers like that could keep that a secret. Let's have heroes as full on celebrities dealing with their powers but also fame and fortune that would inevitably follow. And when the world really needed them to actually deal with real villains, could they risk their lives and celebrity to do it? And come on, some megalomaniac somewhere would try to take over a city or the world. Let's see that too!

Return to “Sidekicks Lounge”