NBC's Heroes Reborn

Discuss anything vaguely M&M related here, such as comics, movies, and action figures.
User avatar
Mr Mole
Firebrand
Firebrand
Posts: 837
Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 9:33 am
Location: Washington (the state, not the district)

Re: NBC's Heroes Reborn

Postby Mr Mole » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:26 am

No, no, no no... I'm not going to invoke Firefly and rant about the unfairness of it all... How Heroes got hyped and was given repeated chances while hardly anyone had even heard of Firefly until after it got the axe... I'm not gonna... Gonna just keep it to myself... :roll:

User avatar
Jason Langlois
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:07 pm

Re: NBC's Heroes Reborn

Postby Jason Langlois » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:50 pm

I think the problem with HEROES is that it started out being an interesting story, got moderately popular, and had to shift gears into being a Network Television Show. Which meant Sylar, because he was popular, had his story arc changed so he could come back for a second season. New characters had to be introduced to allow for the potential to remove characters who's actors may have demanded more money. Plots had to become more important than character or story progression, because character development might lead to the show ending too soon.

The same thing happened to LOST, but there, once the ratings went into free fall at the start of second season, they did a major course correction and tried to right the ship. HEROES, not so much.
Currently reading: Hawkeye, Daredevil, Uncanny X-Men, Uncanny Avengers, Fatale

User avatar
DSumner
Hero
Hero
Posts: 1779
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2003 9:17 am
Location: USA

Re: NBC's Heroes Reborn

Postby DSumner » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:12 pm

Jason Langlois wrote:I think the problem with HEROES is that it started out being an interesting story, got moderately popular, and had to shift gears into being a Network Television Show. Which meant Sylar, because he was popular, had his story arc changed so he could come back for a second season. New characters had to be introduced to allow for the potential to remove characters who's actors may have demanded more money. Plots had to become more important than character or story progression, because character development might lead to the show ending too soon.

The same thing happened to LOST, but there, once the ratings went into free fall at the start of second season, they did a major course correction and tried to right the ship. HEROES, not so much.


Ding, ding, ding. We have winner.
"There is no such thing as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Death is certain, life is not."

User avatar
roguescribner
Paragon
Paragon
Posts: 3430
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:10 am

Re: NBC's Heroes Reborn

Postby roguescribner » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:21 pm

The ratings for Lost didn't dip until after season 3 and the 2007 writer's strike.
GM - Age of Heroes Chapter 2
Sarvak - The Injustice Gang

User avatar
saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord
Posts: 4381
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:31 pm
Location: Perth, AUSTRALIA

Re: NBC's Heroes Reborn

Postby saint_matthew » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:36 pm

Jason Langlois wrote:I think the problem with HEROES is that it started out being an interesting story, got moderately popular, and had to shift gears into being a Network Television Show.


Close, but I think it goes deeper than that: Its not that it became popular, so much as it was "popular" before the first episode even had its pilot airing.

No idea how they achieved that result, but if you remember every person in Hollywood was talking about how good it was before it even aired.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

User avatar
Jason Langlois
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:07 pm

Re: NBC's Heroes Reborn

Postby Jason Langlois » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:15 am

roguescribner wrote:The ratings for Lost didn't dip until after season 3 and the 2007 writer's strike.


As you can see from this chart of LOST ratings (http://forum.lostpedia.com/showthread.p ... ar-to-year), after opening with a higher than the previous season, Season 2 ratings went into a dive, until the course correction and announcement that the show would only run 6 seasons. While it never regained the lost viewers, it was respectable until the momentum died at the start of Season 5.

HEROES had a similar plunge and minor recovery in Season 2 (see http://danowen.blogspot.ca/2009/06/hero ... n-1-3.html), but by 3rd season it was pretty much on fumes.
Currently reading: Hawkeye, Daredevil, Uncanny X-Men, Uncanny Avengers, Fatale

King Snarf
Paragon
Paragon
Posts: 3495
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:01 am
Location: Upper Darby, PA (Near Philly)
Contact:

Re: NBC's Heroes Reborn

Postby King Snarf » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:56 am

saint_matthew wrote:
Jason Langlois wrote:I think the problem with HEROES is that it started out being an interesting story, got moderately popular, and had to shift gears into being a Network Television Show.


Close, but I think it goes deeper than that: Its not that it became popular, so much as it was "popular" before the first episode even had its pilot airing.

No idea how they achieved that result, but if you remember every person in Hollywood was talking about how good it was before it even aired.


They had a great ad campaign. Superhero stuff was just starting to take off again in mainstream media after failures like Batman & Robin, Elektra, and Catwoman. Heroes had tapped into a desire and the marketing cleverly played both sides. "You like superheroes? We got ya. Don't like superheroes? These are real people with superpowers, not goons in spandex."
Arriba Flight es muy macho!

Visit my blog! http://teentemplars.blogspot.com

Visit my author page!

User avatar
saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord
Posts: 4381
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:31 pm
Location: Perth, AUSTRALIA

Re: NBC's Heroes Reborn

Postby saint_matthew » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:57 am

King Snarf wrote:"You like superheroes? We got ya. Don't like superheroes? These are real people with superpowers, not goons in spandex."


An to think that they lied to both sets of people... We got neither real people or superheroes. :lol:
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

User avatar
roguescribner
Paragon
Paragon
Posts: 3430
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:10 am

Re: NBC's Heroes Reborn

Postby roguescribner » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:38 pm

Jason Langlois wrote:
roguescribner wrote:The ratings for Lost didn't dip until after season 3 and the 2007 writer's strike.


As you can see from this chart of LOST ratings (http://forum.lostpedia.com/showthread.p ... ar-to-year), after opening with a higher than the previous season, Season 2 ratings went into a dive, until the course correction and announcement that the show would only run 6 seasons. While it never regained the lost viewers, it was respectable until the momentum died at the start of Season 5.

HEROES had a similar plunge and minor recovery in Season 2 (see http://danowen.blogspot.ca/2009/06/hero ... n-1-3.html), but by 3rd season it was pretty much on fumes.


That chart proves my point: S2 ratings on average were on par with S1 and the beginning of S3. The real dip didn't occur until the second half of S3. But I'm not here to hijack this thread, so moving on...
GM - Age of Heroes Chapter 2
Sarvak - The Injustice Gang

User avatar
Cinder
Hero
Hero
Posts: 1713
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:12 am

Re: NBC's Heroes Reborn

Postby Cinder » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:57 pm

King Snarf wrote:
saint_matthew wrote:
Jason Langlois wrote:I think the problem with HEROES is that it started out being an interesting story, got moderately popular, and had to shift gears into being a Network Television Show.


Close, but I think it goes deeper than that: Its not that it became popular, so much as it was "popular" before the first episode even had its pilot airing.

No idea how they achieved that result, but if you remember every person in Hollywood was talking about how good it was before it even aired.


They had a great ad campaign. Superhero stuff was just starting to take off again in mainstream media after failures like Batman & Robin, Elektra, and Catwoman. Heroes had tapped into a desire and the marketing cleverly played both sides. "You like superheroes? We got ya. Don't like superheroes? These are real people with superpowers, not goons in spandex."


This is how I remember it too. Those teaser eclipses were intriguing and the buzz was great for it.

As for the show, it was cool on and off for the first season (more off IIRC). Then it felt like I was watching it because it was one of the shows that I watched. I do this with shows sometimes, stay on out of some strange duty as opposed to enjoyment. I had to cut the cord with Marvel AoS, as the same thing was happening.

A new show could be better, but I am not optimistic.

User avatar
Mr Mole
Firebrand
Firebrand
Posts: 837
Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 9:33 am
Location: Washington (the state, not the district)

Re: NBC's Heroes Reborn

Postby Mr Mole » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:25 am

saint_matthew wrote:Close, but I think it goes deeper than that: Its not that it became popular, so much as it was "popular" before the first episode even had its pilot airing.

Yes, this.


Return to “Sidekicks Lounge”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest