Guardians of the Galaxy

Discuss anything vaguely M&M related here, such as comics, movies, and action figures.
The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Guardians of the Galaxy

Postby The_Watchman » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:18 am

First trailer has been released

I was a bit antsy with it being so close to release (less than 6 months) before Marvel released even a teaser trailer but presumably they really wanted to show some finished product and possibly avoid too much overlap in advertising with Winter Soldier.

It looks quite good to me. There seems to be a distinct visual style to the Marvel movies that carries on into this movie which is really appealing with the shared universe conceit. It does seem a bit odd that they went almost the exact opposite route from the first Avengers trailer by showing a whole lot of (presumably) finished effects shots but relatively little focus on the plot or the characters beyond the intro from the Nova Corps. At the very least, everything looks right. It seems like a bit of a departure from the comics in being a rag-tag band of outlaws rather than the more heroic band of galactic protectors but I'm assuming that's a bit of mixing between the original Guardians and the current set. Without the continuity to draw from, it's probably a good compromise. Still, "Marvel Comics Presents Firefly but with Rocket Raccoon" is something I can get behind.

Also predicting that the Nova Corps are relatively minor but are still more relevant and interesting than the Green Lantern Corps in that travesty of a movie.

And Knowhere is a key part of the movie. I imagine Cosmo is not likely to show up but I can hope!
"This is all your fault! You shouldn't have taken that cat! You don't teleport into strange metal places and steal pets!"
Builds

Mr Mole
Firebrand
Firebrand

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy

Postby Mr Mole » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:30 am

After watching the trailer, I'm having a pseudo-Farscape* flashback... Not that the movie is likely to have the wit and charm of that series, but it looks better than I expected.

* Earth man lost in space throws in with a ragtag bunch of alien outlaws while being pursued by other, militant, human-looking aliens.
Last edited by Mr Mole on Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Stormson
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Stormson » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:31 am

The designs for the novas made me sad. :(

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arkrite » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:42 am

Wait, those were supposed to be Nova Corps?
*facepalm*

Kyle
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Kyle » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:08 am

So excited for this movie. I wrote a fairly detailed breakdown of the trailer here.

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby The_Watchman » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:47 am

Arkrite wrote:Wait, those were supposed to be Nova Corps?
*facepalm*

While I am excited to see the Nova Corps, it does seem they're being portrayed rather oddly. I'm kind of hoping for a gag about John C Reilly's accent being a side effect of Quill's translation implant. Regardless, those uniforms are rather lackluster but presumably they're going the "more uniform than costume" route. I'm also wondering if the Novas will be empowered or just police with sci-fi gear.
Last edited by The_Watchman on Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
"This is all your fault! You shouldn't have taken that cat! You don't teleport into strange metal places and steal pets!"
Builds

CAA
Bystander
Bystander

Postby CAA » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:49 am

i'm confused.... wasn't brainiac from dc and gotg from marvel?
Why are the guys who show us the characters at about ~1:00 wearing uniforms with the brainiac symbol?

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby The_Watchman » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:52 am

CAA wrote:i'm confused.... wasn't brainiac from dc and gotg from marvel?
Why are the guys who show us the characters at about ~1:00 wearing uniforms with the brainiac symbol?

It's the Nova Corps uniform. Members usually have three glowing circles though the spread varies a great deal across depictions. That particular design is basically identical to Braniac's Diniverse symbol, though. Usually there are lines coming off the circles going above and below.
Builds

witchfire
Zealot
Zealot

Postby witchfire » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:33 am

altough i'm still hyped about this movie i do agree that it has a very strong Farscape vibe to it

and those Nova corp uniforms look ridiculous, i'm afraid to think about what theyr helmets will look like
Some people struggle daily
They struggle with their concience
'Til the end
I have no guilt to haunt me
I feel no wrong intent

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arkrite » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:37 am

Based on how superhero movies go? I'll be surprised if they wear them at all, much less for a span of over five minutes.

The only movies I can think of where the mask stays on for the majority of the show is Dredd and V for Vendetta.
I suppose we can hope that these are the lower ranked Novas and that the higher ranked ones have cooler costumes.

King Snarf
Paragon
Paragon

Postby King Snarf » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:45 am

Glenn Close probably had that in her contract. "I get the pimpin'-est costume, or I walk!"
Arriba Flight es muy macho!

Visit my blog! http://teentemplars.blogspot.com

Visit my author page!

Thakowsaizmu
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Thakowsaizmu » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:56 am

Looks like it'll be fun. I'm sure I'll see it, anyway. Don't know much about the source material, though.
♀♥♀
百年如石、一點如漆

Mr Mole
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Mr Mole » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:51 pm

Arkrite wrote:I suppose we can hope that these are the lower ranked Novas and that the higher ranked ones have cooler costumes.

John C Reilly = Rhomann Dey, so I strongly suspect your hope is in vain. :roll:

The Nova Corps really is the Marvel equivalent of DC's Green Lantern Corps... So I guess it makes sense that their cinematic iteration would thoroughly suck... :|

King Snarf
Paragon
Paragon

Postby King Snarf » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:00 pm

Thakowsaizmu wrote:Looks like it'll be fun. I'm sure I'll see it, anyway. Don't know much about the source material, though.

There's a talking raccoon with a laser rifle. What more do you need to know?
Arriba Flight es muy macho!

Visit my blog! http://teentemplars.blogspot.com

Visit my author page!

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby The_Watchman » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:15 pm

Mr Mole wrote:
Arkrite wrote:I suppose we can hope that these are the lower ranked Novas and that the higher ranked ones have cooler costumes.

John C Reilly = Rhomann Dey, so I strongly suspect your hope is in vain. :roll:

The Nova Corps really is the Marvel equivalent of DC's Green Lantern Corps... So I guess it makes sense that their cinematic iteration would thoroughly suck... :|

As disappointing as the costumes and possible depowerment might be, this movie would have to try real f'ing hard to make the movie Nova Corps worse than the movie Green Lanterns. Though we may have Green Lantern to blame if the Nova Corps are more sci-fi police than superpowered champions just as I'm going to keep on assuming it is to blame for Quasar/Phyla Vel not being involved. Then again, it may simply be that the movie is going for a lower powered cosmic setting with more space opera and less demi-gods. The changes to the Collector also point to this theory.
Builds

Return to “Sidekicks Lounge”