Iconic Images

Discuss anything vaguely M&M related here, such as comics, movies, and action figures.
ghostman76
Luminary
Luminary

Iconic Images

Postby ghostman76 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:25 pm

I got to thinking that we as fans all have definitive ideas of what we think our favorite heroes and villains represent and how they should be portrayed. Sometimes it's that first striking image that we see of a new character that forever burns them into our psyche. Sometimes it's a storyline that provides insight into the character and any other version just doesn't measure up.

I thought it'd be a fun exercise to see what others feel is THE definitive image of their favorite characters. Let's be clear, we'll agree on some, but I'm sure that more often than not we won't all think that any one image perfectly encapsulates a character. This isn't a thread for flame bait. It's for all of us to share with each other our thoughts and some awesome art!

I'll start off with two characters that are near and dear to my heart. Although neither was the very first image of either character, over the years these two images have come to dominate in my mind what each character represents.

This first one is of Batman, from Year One.

Stark black and white, just like Batman's morality. Dark, gritty, and yet fully the picture of a super hero, this is THE picture that made me realize that Batman could be more than the Adam West or Super Friends version I was used to up to that point.

The other is of Batman's greatest enemy, The Joker.

It's from The Killing Joke, and I'm sure I'm not surprising anyone with this choice. It's one of the most popular images of the character of all time, and with good reason. It perfectly captures what makes The Joker such an indelible character. His insanity is so clearly on display. The way he's grasping his head with his hair caught between his fingers and dripping with water from his dunking in the chemicals that caused him to become the Joker, it almost looks like insanity itself is seeping from his pores. And then the background of nothing but "Ha-Ha's"....it's just the definition of iconic. As I said about the Batman picture from above, this image of The Joker also showed me how The Joker could be a very serious, very scary character. It's hard to look at it and ever think of clowns in the same way again...unless you were already afraid of them that is.

So...who's next? :D
"One must first experience pain in order to be able to appreciate it's absence."

DSumner
Hero
Hero

Re: Iconic Images

Postby DSumner » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:26 pm

Well I've got a few. First up, is the cover of New Teen Titans #1, the comic t hat got me collecting. Before that, I'd just read an issue here or there. This book is the one that got me to go looking for the second issue, and camping out at 7-11 waiting for the new issue to hit the stands.

Next up is another book that I loved back in teh day (alothough CoIE gutted the book). DC's Infinity Inc.

This one's a cover of an issue of Legion of Superheroes. The issue was part of the Great Darkness Saga, which still ranks as one of my all-time favorite storylines (and one that still holds up today). It show's the team bascially bowing down to Darkseid, and show's just how powerful he really is.

"There is no such thing as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Death is certain, life is not."

DSumner
Hero
Hero

Postby DSumner » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:33 pm

Oh, wand while this one isn't "iconic", I did think it was just to cool not to post.

"There is no such thing as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Death is certain, life is not."

hypervirtue
Zealot
Zealot

Postby hypervirtue » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:58 pm

One of my favorites will always be the classic image of Superman who is opening his shirt to reveal the S-Shield...

For Green Lantern it is:

One can lift a rock with pure power, but a pure heart can move mountains.

ghostman76
Luminary
Luminary

Postby ghostman76 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:21 pm

I have to post my own personal favorite Superman image. Of course I was aware of Superman and had read his comics prior to seeing this image, but to me, this is THE image of Superman. Nothing else I have ever seen comes close to capturing the essence of who Superman is better than this Byrne era picture from MoS I believe.

It's just absolutely perfect.
"One must first experience pain in order to be able to appreciate it's absence."

Ares
Hero
Hero

Postby Ares » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:57 am

Here's some Captain Marvel pics that I feel really do the character justice. While the second one looks bad ass, the third one is my favorite look costume wise, and the fourth one has a very majestic look to it, I think the first one will always be the overall most iconic. Captain Marvel and Billy Batson, two sides of the same coin, together and smiling, the way they should be.

Narsil
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Narsil » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:57 am

Narsil 2e
Narsil 3e

'Oil, an emergency? About time the people who run this planet of yours realize that to be dependent upon a mineral slime just doesn't make sense.'
-The Fourth Doctor, Terror of the Zygons

ghostman76
Luminary
Luminary

Postby ghostman76 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:29 pm

I agree with you Ares on that third picture of Captain Marvel. He's another of my personal favorites, and my favorite version of his costume are the ones that have the military vest / chest button on them. Really gives him a different flavor from Superman in my mind.

kingk
Cohort
Cohort

Postby kingk » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:01 pm

A lot of my favorites have already been shown, but there's one I haven't seen yet... unfortunately I couldn't find it online anywhere.

It's from Alex Ross' JLA: Liberty and Justice, and I guess its more of a scene than a single image, but its the defining idea of Green Arrow for me. I remember it as being all on one page, but it may not be.

Anyway, Ollie's on a rooftop with someone, probably Black Canary, patrolling because the latest disaster is causing panic in the streets. Below them they suddenly hear a shout of "Stop! Thief!" and see a young guy with a package of some sort running from an older guy. Green Arrow fires off a rope arrow or whatever... and it trips the older guy chasing the kid. Black Canary comments "You missed," to which Green Arrow replies "A guy overcharging for diapers in the disaster zone? I hit the real criminal."

Green Arrow cares about injustice, not crime. Always defined his character really well for me.

Return to “Sidekicks Lounge”