Why do superhero novels suck

Discuss anything vaguely M&M related here, such as comics, movies, and action figures.
Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Why do superhero novels suck

Postby Arkrite » Fri May 02, 2014 11:47 am

Yeah, I liked it, I'd personally suggest it as one of the good reads I've had in this genre.

Of course I like more upbeat stuff that feels more like comic books.

But it really does come across as though it's a setup for a sequel. There are a lot of things that are introduced, but very little is resolved by the end of the book. Don't get me wrong, it's still a lot of fun and I enjoyed it. But I just get the feeling it's a lot of setup to get things in place for the next book.

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Fri May 02, 2014 6:34 pm

FuzzyBoots wrote:Just finished Please Don't Tell My Parents I'm a Supervillain. It was good. It's a straightforward exploration of a super-powered world, no deconstructions or subversions. It's also pretty solidly a kid's book. Yes, the occasional person gets hurt, and there's beaucoup property damage, but ultimately, you're left with the impression that Penelope's choices are entirely consequence-free and she seldom struggles with a problem for more than a chapter before she's decisively ended it. It is also nice to have a book written from the perspective of a "tinkerer" type rather than a flying brick.

Sounds like Renegade X by Chelsea M. Campbell (as suggested earlier by Arkrite), which was good enough that it recently got a sequel which I have yet to read.

Arkrite wrote:Yeah, I liked it, I'd personally suggest it as one of the good reads I've had in this genre.

One of the Better books: I'm not sure I'd go as far as a good book.... I'm willing to negotiate it up to "good by comparison." :lol:

But joking aside, I was on the train to a training program the other day, thinking about what I would like to see out of a superhero novel series & this is what I came up with.

- Batman pastiche: because it works better in narrative form then most "powered" heroes.

- A count of Monte Cristo civilian identity: A guy who the nefarious actions of another has travelled the world, stumbled across riches & then comes home, only to set himself up with these riches as a noble from a foreign land..... But instead of being a fake land, its a real land he just happened to buy the noble title from a real person.

- During his time abroad he's picked up a lot of skills on the brutal road home.

- He builds his super hero identity to take on this nefarious force which has reinforced itself since it betrayed him.

- Two sexy love interest: Because it worked so well in the Stephanie Plum Numbers series (not at all superhero related, but I think it would still work).

- The inclusion of other heroes as background flavour.

- a well developed meta-narrative universe, large enough a not to create obsession points among the fan base.

- The inclusion of meta-human thugs/villains as an oppositional force.

- References to nudity & sex, without doing it to seem mature (the HBO effect) :lol:

An that would just be book one in the series.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

Cinder
Hero
Hero

Postby Cinder » Sat May 03, 2014 6:17 am

saint_matthew wrote:But joking aside, I was on the train to a training program the other day, thinking about what I would like to see out of a superhero novel series & this is what I came up with.

You write it and I promise I will buy a copy. :D

Return to “Sidekicks Lounge”