JLA Adventures

Discuss anything vaguely M&M related here, such as comics, movies, and action figures.
Thakowsaizmu
Zealot
Zealot

JLA Adventures

Postby Thakowsaizmu » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:36 pm

So apparently this just came out:

Am I the only one who knew nothing about it?
♀♥♀
百年如石、一點如漆

ghostman76
Luminary
Luminary

Re: JLA Adventures

Postby ghostman76 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:45 pm

I hadn't heard anything about this one.
"One must first experience pain in order to be able to appreciate it's absence."

danelsan
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby danelsan » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:33 pm

"Get ready for a battle of the ages when the Justice League faces off against its archenemies, the Legion of Doom, in an all-new movie from DC Comics.

A mysterious being known as the Time Trapper arises, and a sinister plan led by Lex Luthor sends the Legion of Doom back in time to eliminate Superman, Wonder Woman and Batman before they become super-heroes.

For Aquaman, Flash and Cyborg, along with teen super heroes Karate Kid and Dawnstar, the stakes have never been higher, the rescue mission never deadlier.

So join the fight for the future as the Justice League confronts its ultimate challenge... the threat of having never existed!"

So...it seems to be based on New 52 versions of the characters. But maybe closer to the spirit of the excellent cartoons we had a little while ago, hopefully? I'll wait for some reviews, then maybe check it out.
My DeviantArt page
Batgirl avatar by ArtNerdEm

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:34 pm

ghostman76 wrote:I hadn't heard anything about this one.

Me either.... I'm just going to take a walk down to my local dealer (my local dealer of such merchandise, get your minds out of the gutters) & see if they can hook me up with a preview copy.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

ghostman76
Luminary
Luminary

Postby ghostman76 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:48 pm

danelsan wrote:So...it seems to be based on New 52 versions of the characters. But maybe closer to the spirit of the excellent cartoons we had a little while ago, hopefully? I'll wait for some reviews, then maybe check it out.

They definitely look Nu52 inspired...but I agree, the storyline does not. I'm interested. Would at least like to see a preview of this. Having said that, even though I think I'm pretty accepting of change (I didn't think Flashpoint was the worst thing in the history of ever) I just don't think I'll ever get to a point where seeing Superman and Batman without their trunks over the costume look. I've never liked it when they've tried to sell that look.
"One must first experience pain in order to be able to appreciate it's absence."

Thakowsaizmu
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Thakowsaizmu » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:46 pm

It was pretty fun. I guess it came out today, so my Girlfriend and I went and got it. I'm not a huge fan of the Legion of Superheroes, but Dawnstar was pretty cute. Written like the Jean Grey of the 1960s, but still cute, heh. But yeah, it's a bit more light hearted than some of the more recent movies. Not the greatest of their movies, but definitely worth the watch and the cheap, cheap price we picked it up for :D
♀♥♀
百年如石、一點如漆

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:00 pm

I'm off to Target to go get a copy, since my dealer let me down.... Not his fault, it is an exclusive product line. Anyway, I thought I'd leave you with a fun DC animation fact.

Did you know that JLA Crisis on Two Earths direct to DVD movie was originally written/scripted as a movie to bridge the gap between the Justice League cartoon & the Justice League Unlimited cartoon. In fact there are a number of easter eggs for those who know where to look, including the building of the new watch tower, the creation of the teleporter system & the "I've been thinking about a recruiting drive" statement from Batman, to name but a few.

In the end they decided not to go ahead with the bridging movie, but held on to the script. When they later decided to make a movie, they pulled out the already written script, rewrote the bits that didn't fit & slotted it into the direct to DVD universe.

EDIT: Just discovered this is only going to be sold in the US. I'm sorry Target I couldn't hear you over the sound of me pirating a product you won't sell me, because you won't sell it to me. Seriously, do you hate money?
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

ghostman76
Luminary
Luminary

Postby ghostman76 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:32 pm

Hey man....you tried to give them your money two times. Apparently they didn't want it. Maybe I'm missing something, but I have never understood regional lockouts. Makes absolutely no sense to me.

Thakowsaizmu
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Thakowsaizmu » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:41 pm

I still think part of this is WB wanting DC to fail. A secret release available at only one store in the US, and no doubt the numbers will be counted as though it were world wide and readily available. "See? Even Justice League doesn't sell. We're forced to only release Batman titles, to make that net $10 extra dollars."
♀♥♀
百年如石、一點如漆

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:57 pm

ghostman76 wrote:Hey man....you tried to give them your money two times. Apparently they didn't want it. Maybe I'm missing something, but I have never understood regional lockouts. Makes absolutely no sense to me.

Just tried Amazon & its not available through Amazon, its listed, but not available & the listing is only for region 1 DVD players (being in Australia that would not be me). Okay, so at this point I think I've more than done my due diligence of trying to get it through normal channels... I even tried to go directly through Target corporate in the US.

Thakowsaizmu wrote:I still think part of this is WB wanting DC to fail. A secret release available at only one store in the US, and no doubt the numbers will be counted as though it were world wide and readily available. "See? Even Justice League doesn't sell. We're forced to only release Batman titles, to make that net $10 extra dollars."

Actually I have this funny feeling this will be used to justify the continued "gritty" direction of other DC movie properties.
-Isaac Asimov

Ares
Hero
Hero

Postby Ares » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:16 pm

danelsan wrote:So...it seems to be based on New 52 versions of the characters.

Actually, the cover art makes them look very much more like their pre-Nu-52 versions. Wonder Woman's back in red, white and gold, Batman's wearing blue with the yellow around the bat symbol, Superman doesn't have the collar, though he is missing the red trunks.

I'm actually moderately hopeful that this is a more classic DC story. Hell, I need to get it for the simple fact that this makes the second time Karate Kid has appeared in animated format!

Hell, it can't possibly be worse than Justice League: War.

Ares
Hero
Hero

Postby Ares » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:52 pm

I went pick this up, and MAN but this was a lot of fun. The exact opposite of Justice League: War, this felt like an hour long Batman: The Brave and the Bold special, only focused on the Justice League and guest starring Karate Kid and Dawnstar. It was actually a lot of fun, lighthearted, action-packed, and not a chore to sit through. Plus they actually got Diedrich Bader to voice Batman again, along with Prince Zuko and Sokka to voice Karate Kid and Robin respectively.

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:00 pm

Ares wrote:I went pick this up, and MAN but this was a lot of fun.

I wish that were true.

Did you notice the giant plot whole temporal paradox.
-Isaac Asimov

ghostman76
Luminary
Luminary

Postby ghostman76 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:19 pm

saint_matthew wrote:

I wish that were true.

That's the thing about opinions...they're subjective. :lol:

Ares
Hero
Hero

Postby Ares » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:38 pm

saint_matthew wrote:

I wish that were true.

Did you notice the giant plot whole temporal paradox.

I don't really consider it much of a plot hole if the film goes out of its way to mention that there are several instances of paradoxes occurring. Time travel is the ultimate deus ex machina that works precisely how the writer wants it to, especially in this case when time travel involves a godlike entity that can manipulate time at will. I mean, time travel pretty much runs on bullsh*t, and works better the less you think about it. And in no way did that detract from the fun of the film.

Return to “Sidekicks Lounge”