Best Comic Storylines?

Discuss anything vaguely M&M related here, such as comics, movies, and action figures.
kingk
Cohort
Cohort

Best Comic Storylines?

Postby kingk » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:10 pm

I see a lot of negativity about comics in a lot of threads here, so I thought I'd look for a lighter note, and ask for some of the best comic storylines and runs people have seen. While I'm sure opinions will differ, if we could leave the really intense arguments to the threads that currently exist for them, that would be ideal.

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Best Comic Storylines?

Postby Arthur Eld » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:48 am

Charlie Huston's run on Moon Knight was great-I had only ever read one Moon Knight issue before in my life (which I liked, if the tones are radically different) but I loved Huston's issues. The art was really great in the start, and Khonshu as Bushman is darkly hilarious. It might be too violent for some though.

The entire Irredeemable series is rock solid. Also rather dark, and shows the extremes that a hero who doesn't kill and a fallen Superman-esque character could go to in a world slightly more realistic than some but still with classic comic book fantastic stuff.

I'm trying to avoid mentioning obvious classics like Batman: Year One, or Kingdom Come.

Anything Astro City is great, but Confessions and the Steeljack run are my favorites.

Objectively, I know it's not perfect, but I really enjoyed Avengers: Ultimate Ultron. Ultron takes over a throwaway country and the Avengers and the UN have to take him down. I like it for it's nods to past stories, Ultron's characterization, and the action.

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:12 am

Arthur Eld wrote:Charlie Huston's run on Moon Knight was great

Hmmmmmmm, I would agree with Charlie Huston's run, but nothing after it. It lost its panache when he left the book.

EDIT: As for best comic, I'm not sure about best, by I do totally love Power of Shazam.... The one time DC didn't completely mess up that character.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

Darrin Kelley
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Darrin Kelley » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:59 am

Power Of Shazam has my vote. It was just a great series all around. Lasted for 70 odd issues beyond the graphic novel. Which should have told something to DC about the characters and their fanbase,

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:39 pm

Oh, I almost forgot "Hawkman: Rise of the Golden Eagle."

A sotry so good, that I'm trying to track down a cheaper copy of the omnibus for that volume. It has everything we love in comic books. A super hero, a secret id that actually matters, double crosses, mistaken identities, villains with actual goals, misdirects & mistaken identities.... It really was a roller coaster.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby The_Watchman » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:56 pm

Gotta agree with Eld on Ultimate Ultron. "Ultron, we would have words with thee" is one of my all time favorite Big Damn Heroes moments and that's before you get to Hank Pym's crowning moment.
"This is all your fault! You shouldn't have taken that cat! You don't teleport into strange metal places and steal pets!"
Builds

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:08 pm

Or "JLA: Syndicate Rules"
-Isaac Asimov

Narsil
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Narsil » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:36 am

Superman: Secret Identity.

An elseworlds story by the writer of Astro City, depicting a storyline that was basically 'how Superboy Prime should have happened'.
Narsil 2e
Narsil 3e

'Oil, an emergency? About time the people who run this planet of yours realize that to be dependent upon a mineral slime just doesn't make sense.'
-The Fourth Doctor, Terror of the Zygons

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby The_Watchman » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:02 am

Thunderbolts: Not exactly a "storyline" per se, but the first few years of Thunderbolts were wonderful to me. If I had to pick one storyline from it, the conclusion of the first year (when they're outed) or the issues when Hawkeye's first trying to convince them to follow him and they fight the Hulk are particular favorites.

(Assorted Adjective) Scarlet Spider/Spider-man:It's not really "good", but I loved the issues with Ben Reilly as Spider-Man (and the few issues where everything was Amazing/Web of/Spectacular Scarlet Spider) up until Peter came back to town. I would absolutely buy an ongoing alternate universe series where Ben continued to be Spidey. Ben felt like a great everyman Spider-Man (compared to supergenius scientist Peter) and, especially at the time, it was such a welcome break from the wangst of Peter. And as silly as it was, dating the daughter of the burglar that killed Uncle Ben felt like a fun everyman twist on the "romance the villain's daughter" trope.

Walt Simonson's run on Thor: I came to read it way after the fact but it is simply amazing. If you want to know why Thor (and Beta Ray Bill!!!!) is a great character, read the Walt Simonson issues. After Kirby, Simonson is the go to guy for cosmic god stories in my humble opinion. I have the omnibus and love it but seriously, buy the softcovers to read it. I'm pretty sure mjolinir is easier to move that that fricking omnibus. It's a hardbound telephone book with high quality stock paper.

Mark Millar's run on Superman Adventures. The best work Millar has ever done (IMHO) and #41 has one of the best Darkseid stories (and panels) ever and its told on one page. It's always amused me that the writers who seem to have the most disdain for superheroes also seem to be the ones who really get Superman (see also: Garth Ennis). For that matter, most of the Adventures lines (Batman, Justice League, etc) are solid comics as are the Marvel Adventures books.

Thor and the Warriors Four: I have a soft spot for well-written all-ages books as I think it takes a lot of skill to pull off a truly all-ages comic and the Power Pack mini-series are excellent. This is my personal favorite. Google the cover of issue 2. If it doesn't make you happy, you should probably disregard all my recommendations. If it does amuse you, I also highly recommend The Pet Avengers, Adventure Time, and My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic for entertaining all-ages comics. The Pet Avengers in particular seem to kind of be taking the piss out of the Avengers franchise in its current state so its good for a laugh if you feel that franchise has been stretched a bit thin.

Atomic Robo: Simply fantastic. Hellboy, but for Science! and with even more of a sense of humor. Also one of the best Free Comic Book Day comics every year with the yearly return of Dr. Dinosaur.
"This is all your fault! You shouldn't have taken that cat! You don't teleport into strange metal places and steal pets!"
Builds

danelsan
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby danelsan » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:57 pm

Avengers: Ultimate Ultron

I'm not able to find anything on google about this. But from what has been said of the story, do you mean "Avengers: Ultron Unlimited" ?
My DeviantArt page
Batgirl avatar by ArtNerdEm

ghostman76
Luminary
Luminary

Postby ghostman76 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:54 pm

Arthur Eld wrote:Anything Astro City is great, but Confessions and the Steeljack run are my favorites.

THIS! I love Astro City, but these two are my absolute favorites.

Also, Ostrander's run on Suicide Squad is a big favorite of mine. Gave me a life long love for the character of Deadshot.

Mark Waid's Tower of Babel storyline in JLA is the story that got me back into comics after I feel away from the hobby during the speculation craze of the 90's with all that Image crap.

Invincible is a great comic that I was addicted to for most of it's still ongoing run as well.

Grell's run on Green Arrow: Longbow Hunters is also a favorite of mine.

And one that probably no one will agree with me about....I absolutely love the first seven or eight trades of Exiles. I really liked that book a lot.
"One must first experience pain in order to be able to appreciate it's absence."

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby The_Watchman » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:07 am

danelsan wrote:
Avengers: Ultimate Ultron

I'm not able to find anything on google about this. But from what has been said of the story, do you mean "Avengers: Ultron Unlimited" ?

That's the one.

Also enjoyed the Exiles a lot until Claremont took over. Its one of those brilliant gems of a concept that actually managed to be done pretty well. One of my all time favorite ideas to someday rip off for a M&M game.
Builds

Mr Mole
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Mr Mole » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:21 am

I'd go along with about 90% of what's been mentioned already. I'd have to add Mark Gruenwald's original Squadron Supreme limited series from the '80s, as that's one of my all-time favorites.

I'd also add that If the names "Kurt Busiek" or "Roy Thomas" appear in the credits, it's probably worth looking at.

Kyle
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Kyle » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:46 am

I'm going to throw in JAR OF FOOLS, TEENAGERS FROM MARS, and GOD HATES ASTRONAUTS.

Stormson
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Stormson » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:11 am

Gonna throw out one no one expects.

Slingers #0-12, was a great read IMO. It's obvious why it failed as an ongoing, it's 1st issue gimmick was costly for any buyers, and having a team based book where the team doesn't actually come together at the same time until issue 6ish and then immediately splitting again till issue 11, but the characters themselves were distinct and entertaining and the set up for the team and the series was good. I think it would have done better had it -not- been tied to the Spider-Man identity crisis storyline, but it really could not be helped.

Return to “Sidekicks Lounge”