Time of the Doctor (Doctor Who Christmas Special)

Discuss anything vaguely M&M related here, such as comics, movies, and action figures.
kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Time of the Doctor (Doctor Who Christmas Special)

Postby kenseido » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:52 pm

Good story in general. At least we got some answers and don't have to wait until August for all of them.

Loved the special guest star at the end and the Five Doctors callback.
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

Sidious
Superhero
Superhero

Re: Time of the Doctor (Doctor Who Christmas Special)

Postby Sidious » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:10 am

honestly I thought the how of him regenerating was a cop out.
Totally ignored the fact he got all of River's remaining regenerations.

so many better ways to do this that were ignored in favor of the easiest option.
Live fast. Love hard. Die with your mask on.

tomorrow
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby tomorrow » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:21 am

I thought it was a good send off episode.

Spoilers.

Some interesting stuff too.

They make it seem like the return of the Time Lords is really something that may be happening soon. And that was a decent explanation as to why the Doctor could not answer the question... starting up Time War 2. That's a legit "can't do that" reason.

Based on the episode, despite Matt Smith only being the Doctor for three seasons, the Doctor has seemingly spent majority of his life as the 11th Doctor. There was already a like 200 year jump a season ago, and he apparently spent hundreds of years in Christmas (at least 300 as directly stated on the first Oswin return, and if I had to guess, I'd say 500 years before the second Oswin return). I was left with the impression that the 11th Doctor form was around 1000 years old at the end of the episode. Which ironically implies the young incarnation of the Doctor yet was also ended up being the oldest incarnation of the Doctor yet. Of course the Doctor's age is always a contradicted matter, but still the implication does seem to be that the 11th is at present his longest held form and that the Doctor is now probably at least twice as old (or more) as he was at time of the Doctor Who reboot.

I think the episode itself (as well as the last one) also gave a pretty good explanation for a return to an older Doctor, as the trauma explanation given for the younger forms was largely resolved and the Doctor just spent hundreds of years as an aging fatherly figure to a whole town.

I'm actually curious if the last scene also means the Doctor legit doesn't remember how to use the Tardis, or if its another passing regeneration thing. After all he did just spend half-a-lifetime not really using it at all.

death tribble
Disciple
Disciple

Postby death tribble » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:41 pm

I was disappointed with the jump between the Doctor and the life of Clara having a Christmas Day meal with family. They threw all those monsters in (not just Cybermen, Sontarans and the Daleks) and did so little with them. But they tied up a couple of things. So we have a new start with the next Doctor.
And we don't know how many regenerations River had left.
Dangerous when cute

Sidious
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Sidious » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:00 pm

at least 10 that we know of.
1 after she got out of the space suit.
1 from Melody to River.

but it's true we don't know because they never answer things like that.
Live fast. Love hard. Die with your mask on.

tomorrow
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby tomorrow » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:52 pm

Yeah, its also not 100% how many regenerations River had to start with, she's not exactly a Time Lord, she's Time Lord-ish. For all we know, she was born with only three. LIkewise, it was never explicitly clear she literally gave the Doctor her regenerations (as in added hers to his total) or if she gave them all to him just to counteract the Judas poison. In earnest, the former is what I presumed after seeing that episode, that beating the poison required another Time Lord/Time Lord-ish person burning their whole regeneration cycle just to neutralize it.

Spoilers -

Of course, come to think of it, would not the given the explanation for why the Doctor is out of regenerations (the non-Doctor doctor, and the 10th's non-change regeneration) also be in effect at the time of Let's Kill Hitler? What was the point of the Judas poison and him making a big deal about not being able to regenerate, since the Doctor was already out of regenerations anyway? Eh...

Mr_Raven
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Mr_Raven » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:53 pm

Terrible episode, not from a acting POV , Matt Smith was outstanding

<spoilers below>

Trenzalore-they were on the planet , nothing ever mentioned about his grave..

WHY the weeping angels , an arbitary apperance to keep them going ?

The Papal Mainframe , I like they created the Silence , but not really used..

The regen , good enough , enjoye seeing the Ginger again..

Best bit was the wrap up with the Crack in the wall.

I think Moffat has cruised on this series , he can write amazing individual episodes , but cant carry story arcs.
if you cant do the time , dont do the crime

Mr Mole
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Mr Mole » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:47 pm

...hmmm...

Overall, I liked it... But for all the clever details and nostalgia and bits i really enjoyed, the episode felt haphazard and the plot lines they resolved felt rushed and a little contrived.

It was certainly a fun romp and I have no real complaints.

Despite some of the Pond-haters out there, it made me happy (and a bit sad) to see Amy's brief appearance near the end.

I'll miss Smith's Doctor, but he had a better send-off than the majority of his predecessors. I've liked all the Doctors, but Tennant and Smith were both incredible. I hope Capaldi surprises and delights me in replacing Smith as much as Smith did in replacing Tennant. I'd cross my fingers, except that I'm not superstitious, and also because it'd make typing really difficult... :roll:

tomorrow
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby tomorrow » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:28 pm

@ Mr. Raven, spoilers

I believe his grave does not exist anymore and even if it still does, it didn't exist yet during the episode. They were on Trenzalore at a point before the point the Doctor was last there. He hadn't died yet, so no grave yet. Also, it appears the Time Lords interference effectively changed the future and thus the Doctor did not die and the future Trenzalore is the Doctor's grave and the giant Tardis no longer exist.

Interesting note, this would also make the other Time Lords even with the Doctor after him breaking the rules to save Galifrey. The 50th anniversary sort of ended with them owing him one, the holiday special seems to have called that favor in.

King Snarf
Paragon
Paragon

Postby King Snarf » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:50 am

I liked it. It was Christmas-y AND it tied up the loose ends as well as could be expected. There was a little bit of "Wait, huh?!?", but there were enough good bits that made me feel that this was a great send-off for Smith. Goodbye, Raggedy-Man.
Arriba Flight es muy macho!

Visit my blog! http://teentemplars.blogspot.com

Visit my author page!

Return to “Sidekicks Lounge”