Cartoon Execs don't want girls watching superhero shows.

Discuss anything vaguely M&M related here, such as comics, movies, and action figures.
Ares
Hero
Hero

Cartoon Execs don't want girls watching superhero shows.

Postby Ares » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:50 pm

Just to show that it isn't just comic book higher ups that are crazy.

DINI: "They're all for boys 'we do not want the girls', I mean, I've heard executives say this, you know, not [where I am] but at other places, saying like, 'We do not want girls watching this show."

SMITH: "WHY? That's 51% of the population."

DINI: "They. Do. Not. Buy. Toys. The girls buy different toys. The girls may watch the show—"

SMITH: "So you can sell them T-shirts if they don't—A: I disagree, I think girls buy toys as well, I mean not as many as f***ing boys do, but, B: sell them something else, man! Don't be lazy and be like, 'well I can't sell a girl a toy.' Sell 'em a T-shirt, man, sell them f***ing umbrella with the f***ing character on it, something like that. But if it's not a toy, there's something else you could sell 'em! Like, just because you can't figure out your job, don't kill chances of, like, something that's gonna reach an audi—that's just so self-defeating, when people go, like… these are the same ***deleted*** who go, like, 'Oh, girls don't read comics, girls aren't into comics.' It's all self-fulfilling prophecies. They just make it that way, by going like, 'I can't sell 'em a toy, what's the point?'

DINI: "That's the thing, you know I hate being Mr. Sour Grapes here, but I'll just lay it on the line: that's the thing that got us cancelled on Tower Prep, honest-to-God was, like, 'we need boys, but we need girls right there, right one step behind the boys'—this is the network talking—'one step behind the boys, not as smart as the boys, not as interesting as the boys, but right there.' And then we began writing stories that got into the two girls' back stories, and they were really interesting. And suddenly we had families and girls watching, and girls really became a big part of our audience, in sort of like they picked up that Harry Potter type of serialized way, which is what The Batman and [indistinct]'s really gonna kill. But, the Cartoon Network was saying, 'F***, no, we want the boys' action, it's boys' action, this goofy boy humor we've gotta get that in there. And we can't—' and I'd say, but look at the numbers, we've got parents watching, with the families, and then when you break it down—'Yeah, but the—so many—we've got too many girls. We need more boys.'"

SMITH: "That's heart-breaking."

DINI: "And then that's why they cancelled us, and they put on a show called Level Up, which is, you know, goofy nerds fighting CG monsters. It's like, 'We don't want the girls because the girls won't buy toys.' We had a whole… we had a whole, a merchandise line for Tower Prep that they s***canned before it ever got off the launching pad, because it's like, 'Boys, boys, boys. Boys buy the little spinny tops, they but the action figures, girls buy princesses, we're not selling princesses.'"

http://io9.com/paul-dini-superhero-cart ... 1483758317

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Cartoon Execs don't want girls watching superhero shows.

Postby Arkrite » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:06 pm

*facepalm*

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:20 pm

Originally i posted a reply to this, but i was just talking to Admiral Ackbar & he said to me; "Its a trap!"

So you know what: On this occassion i'm not raising to the bait, because i can't be bothered arguing the reality versus deliberately inflammatory articles that exist just to misrepresent what was actually said.

*passess Ares his 10 foot pole*

I'm out.

*close the door quitely behind himself on the way out of the thread*
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Voltron64 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:29 pm

Well? What are we waiting for?

Let's track 'em down and kick their asses.
Power doesn't corrupt. Power appeals to the corrupt. - Charles Phipps

Certainly it would be a better world if bigotry were rewarded with a straightjacket and a padded cell more often. - Libra

Kyle
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Kyle » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:07 pm

It does sound ridiculous, but I have to wonder if there isn't a reason for it. Specifically money. Money would be the reason.

The people making these decisions do not care a whit for anything other than their bottom line, and they go to great lengths to maximize the profits. Marketing people have greed down to a science. Presumably their metrics and analytics back-up this sort of focus regardless of all the anecdotal evidence people want to offer to the contrary.

I think there's an interesting conversation to be had regarding just how ingrained the gender segregation is in our culture, and whether this sort of attitude perpetuates or is merely a reaction to that culture.

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arkrite » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:18 am

Maybe, but I can't help but think if you're expanding your audience you're expanding your opportunities for selling your merchandise.

And if the stuff you have isn't selling to the expanded audience wouldn't the smart move be to create new stuff aimed at that audience, rather than shutting the whole works down and starting from scratch again?

Sadly I don't know. Yet another situation where I'd love to be a fly on the wall in one of these places to see if there is some sense to be made of what they're doing... or if they're as bug nuts crazy as they seem.

Mr Mole
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Mr Mole » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:28 am

saint_matthew wrote:I'm out.

I could go on about "target demographics" for quite awhile, but Matthew walking away from the subject makes me think it would probably be wise for me to do the same. :|

Kyle
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Kyle » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:05 am

Arkrite wrote:Maybe, but I can't help but think if you're expanding your audience you're expanding your opportunities for selling your merchandise.

At some point trying to appeal to the largest possible audience is going to result in diminishing returns.

You have a certain amount of resources -- in this case, time and budget -- to produce the largest result. If you start to expend too many resources, it's going to cut into profit.

And I have to imagine that producing content for boys is cheap and easy. Not to disparage my own gender too much, but it's fairly easy to please young males. Was there some combination of dinosaurs, robots, explosions, and fart jokes? Sold! How else could ThunderCats, SilverHawks and Masters of the Universe have been so popular?

Stormson
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Stormson » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:53 am

Sadly this will always be the case for cartoons that exist as toy advertisements themselves instead of being funded by advertising money like regular TV shows. And to be fair, if the toy company specializes in action figures and such and doesn't have a strong production system for girls, they are perfectly justified to ask for their 30 minute advertisements to be marketed to the correct gender.

Thakowsaizmu
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Thakowsaizmu » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:26 pm

This just continues to compound my belief that all execs need to be fired.
♀♥♀
百年如石、一點如漆

Narsil
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Narsil » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:37 pm

Thakowsaizmu wrote:This just continues to compound my belief that all execs need to be fired.

This compounds my personal belief that the way we make art needs to be completely revised from the ground up, on that note.
Narsil 2e
Narsil 3e

'Oil, an emergency? About time the people who run this planet of yours realize that to be dependent upon a mineral slime just doesn't make sense.'
-The Fourth Doctor, Terror of the Zygons

Thakowsaizmu
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Thakowsaizmu » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:46 pm

Narsil wrote:
Thakowsaizmu wrote:This just continues to compound my belief that all execs need to be fired.

This compounds my personal belief that the way we make art needs to be completely revised from the ground up, on that note.

That is a good point too.
♀♥♀
百年如石、一點如漆

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Voltron64 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:16 pm

Narsil wrote:

This compounds my belief that the folks at Green Ronin and similar companies should be in charge of entertainment media in general.

J.J. Abrams? More like Steve Kenson!

:wink:
Power doesn't corrupt. Power appeals to the corrupt. - Charles Phipps

Certainly it would be a better world if bigotry were rewarded with a straightjacket and a padded cell more often. - Libra

Narsil
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Narsil » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:45 pm

Voltron64 wrote:
Narsil wrote:

This compounds my belief that the folks at Green Ronin and similar companies should be in charge of entertainment media in general.

J.J. Abrams? More like Steve Kenson!

:wink:

But, but... that would result in something genuinely competent happening! And Mr. Kenson's natural enthusiasm would offend the right-wing homophobic crowd that nearly led to one film languishing in storage for years because studios and theatres were terrified of the result!

... I'm not seeing a negative here. Don't you know that you need at least one monumentally stupid idea in order to get anywhere in media these days?
Narsil 2e
Narsil 3e

'Oil, an emergency? About time the people who run this planet of yours realize that to be dependent upon a mineral slime just doesn't make sense.'
-The Fourth Doctor, Terror of the Zygons

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arkrite » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:55 pm

Then we're in luck, because I'm full of stupid ideas! ;~)

Return to “Sidekicks Lounge”