Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman

Discuss anything vaguely M&M related here, such as comics, movies, and action figures.
ladydragonfly
Henchman
Henchman

Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman

Postby ladydragonfly » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:33 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCRElOKIcV0

She will appear in superman 2

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Re: Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman

Postby The_Watchman » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:49 pm

I've seen all the complaints against her and it is disappointing that in a role that could actually suit a plus size actress, they cast another skinny model. But to play Devil's Advocate, she is at least athletic and was in the Israeli Defense Force so she may have the chops to pull off Diana.

Of course, I think the movie is going to be terrible and Wonder Woman will not be good no matter who they cast. To beat that dead horse, it's by the cinematic team who thought Man of Steel was a good version of Superman and from the comic book team that gave us the nu52.
"This is all your fault! You shouldn't have taken that cat! You don't teleport into strange metal places and steal pets!"
Builds

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:49 pm

The_Watchman wrote:But to play Devil's Advocate, she is at least athletic and was in the Israeli Defense Force so she may have the chops to pull off Diana.

I keep on seeing this point everywhere & i'd like to ask my fellow thinktankers not to make it. Firstly the Israeli Defense Force is mandatory military service for all residents, so yes she was a member of the Israeli Defense Force, but (as i understand it) so is literally every post high school aged person living in Israel. Secondly how does having served in the Israeli Defense Force make her a decent actor? Or make her look anything like Wonder Woman?

Because those are the only things that matter in making a movie: Is the person believable in the role & can they act.

Because everything else is just irrelevent noise.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

danelsan
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby danelsan » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:54 pm

Well, hopefully they'll at least have the actress work out a bit more. I understand it would be hard to find a lady who has the body of a professional athlete, is beautiful in a way that makes her look like Diana and can act well enough*. But if they can have the dudes bulk up like crazy to portray the male heroes, I expect to see Gal Gadot at least somewhat stronger than she is now**

*Gina Carano could easily look like WW, but she is severely lacking in acting skills, for instance.

**Well, theoretically. In practice, unless the reviews I trust miraculously show otherwise, what I actually expect is that I will not watch this movie.
My DeviantArt page
Batgirl avatar by ArtNerdEm

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:36 pm

danelsan wrote:Well, hopefully they'll at least have the actress work out a bit more. I understand it would be hard to find a lady who has the body of a professional athlete, is beautiful in a way that makes her look like Diana and can act well enough*.

The thing is its not just her physique that makes her not suitable, she's also not tall enough. Diana is a pretty large woman in ever sense of the word. She is depicted as being half a head taller than Batman & Superman. She's also wide across the shoulder & generally quite wide in general. Gal Gadot is none of those things... She's short, skinny & not wide.

Sure you can do a lot of cinematogaphy magic, but why would you want to.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

Dureign
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Dureign » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:50 pm

Hollywood trainers and dieticians, camera angles, and post production editing can work wonders when it comes to apparent size and physique.

Just look at Christian Bale or even Chris Hemsworth (for insane body transformations) and Captain America and the LotR/Hobbit movies (for angle shot and post production). From what my friends tell me, she's a decent actress and exudes badassness, so I'm not worried about her appearance. I personally think Rachel Nichols would have been a good choice, but so far Gal Gadot seems alright to me.

WHAT I AM WORRIED ABOUT IS HOW BLOATED THIS GOYER/SNYDER MOVIE IS BECOMING OMG THERE IS NO HOPE. I get that the strategy is to basically do the opposite of Marvel - have a big Justice League movie to kick off other movie franchises for the characters that prove popular, instead of building up the way Marvel did - but I have no faith Snyder can pull off anything other than making it look cool, and am absolutely convinced Goyer must be selling his soul to the devil for the work he's still managing to get.

I was hoping Man of Steel 2 would be the exploration of the ramifications of the end of MoS - Clark becoming more heroic, more concerned with saving lives/preventing property damage, adopting a personal code of no neck-snapping (having seen Ollie's transformation and character growth in Arrow has given me some faith in how grim gritty superheroes can become shining heroes again). But with old Batman in the movie, and now ALSO Wonder Woman... there are too many characters, too many moving parts, and Snyder/Goyer are wrecking balls when this movie needs a surgical scalpel in terms of care.

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby The_Watchman » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:58 pm

saint_matthew wrote:
The_Watchman wrote:But to play Devil's Advocate, she is at least athletic and was in the Israeli Defense Force so she may have the chops to pull off Diana.

I keep on seeing this point everywhere & i'd like to ask my fellow thinktankers not to make it. Firstly the Israeli Defense Force is mandatory military service for all residents, so yes she was a member of the Israeli Defense Force, but (as i understand it) so is literally every post high school aged person living in Israel. Secondly how does having served in the Israeli Defense Force make her a decent actor? Or make her look anything like Wonder Woman?

I didn't say it made her a decent actor. But it does mean she has training in actual hand to hand combat and that combined with her athletic hobbies indicate she is at least physically fit and able to move like someone that is rather than a model with two weeks of stage fighting training. Now, again, it was two years of service and I don't see anything indicating she continued training in any kind of martial arts so it's not like she's guaranteed to be convincing as someone that actually knows how to fight but I was simply noting a tiny possible silver lining in a very gray sky.

As for looking anything like Wonder Woman, I never said she did. I noted that she seems to be a bit more of an ectomorph than I'd consider Diana to be and she's certainly not Greek (or of similar Mediterranean descent).

Again, I feel very strongly that this movie is going to be terrible regardless of casting. I loath Man of Steel as anything more than an occasionally tolerable action movie that inexplicably referred to a random paragon as though he were actually Superman. I've seen no changes from the team/process that made that pile of garbage other than the addition of trying to copy Iron Man 2's worst problems. It will not matter if the casting is completely spot on or utterly terrible. I've seen nothing to indicate that anyone involved in WB/DC's multimedia empire understands any of their characters in the slightest. I think the Dark Knight movies managed to be good in spite of not being a version of Batman I really care for.

DC has gotten to this weird place of trying to ape Marvel without getting that much of the fondness for those films comes from the embrace of the most fantastic (and seemingly childish) elements of superheroes. I don't think they cast Affleck for his comedic timing or charisma, they wanted the dramatic actor and I'd be damned surprised if his Batman isn't written to be the same overbearing emo that his Daredevil was. Gadot was cast to play a Fast and the Furious style tough but sexy girl, not the Amazon ambassador of peace and truth to man's world. For heaven's sake, DC decided Wonder Woman and Superman needed to be a thing so instead of calling on the 70+ years of those two characters being paragons of heroism, they made them both bitter alienated loners.

They made a movie where Superman kills and where he fails to save people without any pain afterward. It's Superman without hope or compassion. To fundamentally misunderstand a character that way is not something that casting can ever fix.
"This is all your fault! You shouldn't have taken that cat! You don't teleport into strange metal places and steal pets!"
Builds

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:30 pm

The_Watchman wrote:I didn't say it made her a decent actor.

I didn't say you did, but you did bring it up in a conversation about her potential in the film role of being Wonder Woman, something that it has no bearing on... Don't feel to bad, a lot of people have been making this non-point as if it were a contributing factor. But really its not anymore useful in this conversation than "Hey did you hear Gal Gadot is going to be playing the role of Wonder Woman? Her favourite ice cream flavour is rocky road."

Now imagine you keep on seeing article after article about this & the only thing they all say is "Gal Gadot is going to play Wonder Woman & loves Rocky Road Ice-Cream" as if her preference in ice-cream is somehow a contributing factor to her being suitable to play the role of Diana. So to reiterate, i'm asking my fellow thinktankers to be smart enough not to repeat the inanities about military service, as they have no bearing on her ability to play the role of Wonder Woman. :D

Sorry if it sounded like i was singling you out, thats was not my intention... just trying to bring the common sense before people start reading to much into military service.
-Isaac Asimov

Kyle
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Kyle » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:48 pm

My reaction to this was pretty much the same as my reaction to the news that Affleck would be Batman. It doesn't really matter who they cast in what role, with Snyder and Goyer at the helm, I have no confidence in the movie to be something I want to watch.

Mr Mole
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Mr Mole » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:04 pm

saint_matthew wrote:"Hey did you hear Gal Gadot is going to be playing the role of Wonder Woman? Her favourite ice cream flavour is rocky road."

Rocky road is my favorite, too. :mrgreen:

Oh, was that not the topic that was being discussed ? :shock:

Sorry 'bout that... :roll:

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:29 pm

Kyle wrote:My reaction to this was pretty much the same as my reaction to the news that Affleck would be Batman. It doesn't really matter who they cast in what role, with Snyder and Goyer at the helm, I have no confidence in the movie to be something I want to watch.

I know what you mean. The only expectation i have for this movie is that the only draw of the movie will be that its a cross over of Superman & Batman.... An WW guest stars for a moment. I don't have high hopes for it as an actual story, well executed.
-Isaac Asimov

Thakowsaizmu
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Thakowsaizmu » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:28 pm

To me, she is the Wonder Woman this movie deserves.
♀♥♀
百年如石、一點如漆

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:16 pm

Thakowsaizmu wrote:To me, she is the Wonder Woman this movie deserves.

But not the Wonder Woman this movie wants.

:lol:
-Isaac Asimov

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby The_Watchman » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:37 am

I can't wait to see who Jason Mamoa will be playing in Man of Steel, Plot of Kleenex
Builds

greycrusader
Superhero
Superhero

Postby greycrusader » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:36 am

Everyone-we're judging a movie that doesn't even have a trailer, or even any plot details released.

As for Ms.Gadot, I agree she is not what I imagine physically as Wonder Woman-but keep in mind the 5'9" Tom Hardy (an inch shorter than I am) convincingly played the towering Bane, and the first modern cinematic Batman was Michael Keaton, scarcely an imposing physical presence, yet he was acclaimed for his performance.

So we could all be in for a surprise (pleasant or un-, I suppose).

All my best.
The Contingent: When all other super teams fail...

Return to “Sidekicks Lounge”