Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman

Discuss anything vaguely M&M related here, such as comics, movies, and action figures.
ghostman76
Luminary
Luminary

Re: Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman

Postby ghostman76 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:10 pm

I always wanted the Rock to play Black Adam....but in order for that to happen you'd have to have a movie going public that knew the main character of the film's name is Captain Marvel and not Shazam....regardless of what Nu52 says. :(
"One must first experience pain in order to be able to appreciate it's absence."

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:32 pm

ghostman76 wrote:I always wanted the Rock to play Black Adam

Yes, except TV show, not movie.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

Stormson
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Stormson » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:47 am

ghostman76 wrote:I always wanted the Rock to play Black Adam....but in order for that to happen you'd have to have a movie going public that knew the main character of the film's name is Captain Marvel and not Shazam....regardless of what Nu52 says. :(

The fight over Captain Marvel being known as Captain Marvel for DC is one that is just best abandoned, IMO. This isn't even a new issue, my mother (who is in her 50's) only knows the character as Shazam because that was the name of the TV Show she watched when she was younger, and the show was titled Shazam, not Capt. Marvel, so that's what she remembers.

Yes, the situation with the character is kind of sad and frustrating, but this rebranding DC is doing now is something that should have originally been done at least 2 decades ago, and the sooner it's completed, the better it will be for the character in the long run, at least on a commercial level.

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:06 pm

Stormson wrote:
ghostman76 wrote:I always wanted the Rock to play Black Adam....but in order for that to happen you'd have to have a movie going public that knew the main character of the film's name is Captain Marvel and not Shazam....regardless of what Nu52 says. :(

The fight over Captain Marvel being known as Captain Marvel for DC is one that is just best abandoned, IMO.

They should have just going back to the original working title, if it was really that much of an issue, heck its the name I stole when I ripped off Captain Marvel for my campaign setting: CAPTAIN THUNDER!
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

ghostman76
Luminary
Luminary

Postby ghostman76 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:26 am

Yep, Captain Thunder is a great name for a paragon hero with a lightning bolt on his chest! :mrgreen:
"One must first experience pain in order to be able to appreciate it's absence."

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:49 am

ghostman76 wrote:Yep, Captain Thunder is a great name for a paragon hero with a lightning bolt on his chest! :mrgreen:

Captain Thunder was the original name of Captain Marvel, prior to the release of the first comic.

Another fun fact about the Marvel Family of characters: Just prior to the initial cancellation of the Fawcet books, Mary Marvel actually changed her costume. She went from the cute, but flat as a board girl next door, to a bustier, slightly more mature character, with a plunging neck-lined costume. As the story goes, the changes were at the hands of the female editors, after one female editor (who was herself flat as a board) was replaced by a much bustier female editor.

Unless you hadn't guessed, I did in fact just pick up a copy of "SHAZAM: The Golden Age of the Worlds Mightiest Mortal." So many fact, so much more disappointment directed at post flashpoint DC & its continued bastardisation of Captain Marvel.
-Isaac Asimov

Stormson
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Stormson » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:20 am

saint_matthew wrote:
Stormson wrote:

The fight over Captain Marvel being known as Captain Marvel for DC is one that is just best abandoned, IMO.

They should have just going back to the original working title, if it was really that much of an issue, heck its the name I stole when I ripped off Captain Marvel for my campaign setting: CAPTAIN THUNDER!

Anything is better than the confusion with the Captain Marvel name at this point, but honestly, Shazam is so intertwined with the character that I can see why they're moving to use that, though the idea of a character who can't say his own name sounds like something that would get old quick.

Setothes
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Setothes » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:13 pm

"Forget Captain Marvel, I am Captain DC!"
"Kind of on the nose, don't you think?"
"What? DC. Direct Current, which is how my lightning bolts work. What did you think it meant?"

Stormson
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Stormson » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:12 pm

Back on topic, apparently she's signed for this movie, a wonder woman movie, and a JLA movie.

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:11 pm

Stormson wrote:Back on topic, apparently she's signed for this movie, a wonder woman movie, and a JLA movie.

Do you have a citation for this wonder woman rumour, or is it just a rumour.
-Isaac Asimov

ghostman76
Luminary
Luminary

Postby ghostman76 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:27 pm

saint_matthew wrote:
Stormson wrote:Back on topic, apparently she's signed for this movie, a wonder woman movie, and a JLA movie.

Do you have a citation for this wonder woman rumour, or is it just a rumour.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/wonder-woman-gal-gadot-signs-three-picture-deal-with-warner-bros-1201067961/

It's from Variety. Whether you consider them a trustworthy news source is of course up to the individual.

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:00 pm

ghostman76 wrote:It's from Variety. Whether you consider them a trustworthy news source is of course up to the individual.

I consider them to be about as trustworthy as Bleeding Cool or Kotaku.
-Isaac Asimov

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby The_Watchman » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:44 pm

Jessie Eisenberg cast as Lex Luthor and Jeremy Irons as Alfred.

Meh. It seems absurd but who knows. Hopefully, at the very least, it won't be another riff on 1978 Lex. Though Snyder's quote doesn't really inspire confidence. It's not Luthor having wealth and intellect that makes him a good foil for Superman, it's being a human being that's as corrupted by power and as inhumanly selfish as Superman is good and selfless. Of course, in the Man of Steel universe, Luthor will have to be utterly monstrous or he's going to come off as more human and sympathetic than Steel-man by default. I mean, hell, I'd have to agree with Lex's usual complaints here. That alien really is a major threat to humanity and we would be better off if he'd never come to earth.
"This is all your fault! You shouldn't have taken that cat! You don't teleport into strange metal places and steal pets!"
Builds

Return to “Sidekicks Lounge”