Disney's Frozen

Discuss anything vaguely M&M related here, such as comics, movies, and action figures.
King Snarf
Paragon
Paragon

Disney's Frozen

Postby King Snarf » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:15 pm

Anyone seen this yet? It's REALLY good. Don't let the trailers fool you; it's a solid fantasy-adventure story done in the Disney animated style. Also, it's preceded by the Mickey Mouse "Get a Horse" short, which is nothing short of brilliant, in my opinion.
Arriba Flight es muy macho!

Visit my blog! http://teentemplars.blogspot.com

Visit my author page!

King Snarf
Paragon
Paragon

Re: Disney's Frozen

Postby King Snarf » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:03 pm

No one? You all really should go see it. It's like if a Disney Princess movie and a superhero origin movie got together and had a baby. Moreso, I want to run a fantasy campaign set in the movie's setting of Arendelle, which is one of the highest compliments I can give a movie.

Visit my author page!

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:41 pm

:) Jab is on that with both an effusive review and character builds.

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby The_Watchman » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:59 pm

I loved it. The animation was brilliant, the characters were nuanced enough to be enjoyable without being overblown, the songs were excellent (Elsa's showstopper was a particular favorite), and the comedy relief characters were well done. The trailers may be most deceptive about Olaf as he seems to be another annoying idiot sidekick but in the film is both utterly charming and hilarious with Josh Gad's delivery. Having recently seen Book of Mormon, it's obvious how much Frozen benefits from Gad's performance and the music made by the Lopezes. With Idina Menzel, the whole thing feels like a modern big budget broadway musical in the best way.

While I saw the big twist coming and was hoping it might take a slightly different turn, it was definitely a delightful departure from the usual Disney style. I just would have liked to see the movie actually lack a real villain besides the fear faced by Elsa.

I really like that the broad theme of the new "princess" films seems to be "love may happen quickly and you may get amazing chances to reach your dreams but it takes real work to make anything truly last and you have to open your eyes to reality."
"This is all your fault! You shouldn't have taken that cat! You don't teleport into strange metal places and steal pets!"
Builds

Thakowsaizmu
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Thakowsaizmu » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:07 pm

I took my Girlfriend to see it in 3D. Definitely worth it, I really liked it as a movie. It was really refreshing to see a Disney movie that drifted so far from their norm. And, as my Girlfriend said, she felt it was a movie that should actually inspire girls :D
♀♥♀
百年如石、一點如漆

King Snarf
Paragon
Paragon

Postby King Snarf » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:31 am

Thakowsaizmu wrote:I took my Girlfriend to see it in 3D. Definitely worth it, I really liked it as a movie. It was really refreshing to see a Disney movie that drifted so far from their norm. And, as my Girlfriend said, she felt it was a movie that should actually inspire girls :D

Honestly, I think the overall message of the film is something that should inspire anyone- you may be different, and people may want to treat you differently because of it, but if you surround yourself with the people who truly love you no matter what, you WILL persevere.

Visit my author page!

Thakowsaizmu
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Thakowsaizmu » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:31 pm

King Snarf wrote:
Thakowsaizmu wrote:I took my Girlfriend to see it in 3D. Definitely worth it, I really liked it as a movie. It was really refreshing to see a Disney movie that drifted so far from their norm. And, as my Girlfriend said, she felt it was a movie that should actually inspire girls :D

Honestly, I think the overall message of the film is something that should inspire anyone- you may be different, and people may want to treat you differently because of it, but if you surround yourself with the people who truly love you no matter what, you WILL persevere.

Yes, that is true. But for little girls, we are given a message that we are to be saved, to be ornaments and to rely on a man to not only rescue us, but to give us a reason to be. That is, that we exist for him to love so that true love something something happy ending. This movie didn't do that. It didn't do any of that. The true love was present, the princess thing was present, but the girls were the heroes and the prince character wasn't even required for the true love aspect. And in an animated movie that was produced by Disney, that is nothing short of monumental.
♀♥♀
百年如石、一點如漆

King Snarf
Paragon
Paragon

Postby King Snarf » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:56 pm

Thakowsaizmu wrote:but the girls were the heroes and the prince character wasn't even required for the true love aspect.

Not directly, no, but you absolutely needed the audience to believe that Anna thought he loved her, otherwise the climax on the fjord loses some punch.

Visit my author page!

death tribble
Disciple
Disciple

Postby death tribble » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:43 pm

And Let it Go has been posted by the company to Youtube. Looks good.
Dangerous when cute

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arkrite » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:20 pm

Saw it, enjoyed it, would recommend it.

Heritage367
Hireling
Hireling

Postby Heritage367 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:44 am

I've seen it twice in the theater, first time in 3D and second in 2D and was blown away both times; everything everyone's said so far is true, but let's not neglect to mention in a superhero forum how damn amazing the depiction of ice and cold powers was in this! This will be the standard against which all cryomancers will be measured for years to come; in M&M 3 terms, we have Create on a massive scale, both attacks and defense, weather control, two very different uses of Summon, etc. And we get to see just how creative you can get with Precise, with full sets of clothing and even a pair of literal 'ice skates' being made at one point.

OP, what is your idea for the Arendelle-based game? Not sure if I'd join, but dying to hear your game concept!

Edit: Wow, this is my first post? Could have sworn I posted before! Oh well, greetings, one and all!

King Snarf
Paragon
Paragon

Postby King Snarf » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:25 pm

Well, it's been all over the place. With the implication that stuff has happened before (which is why the troll elder asked "Born or cursed"), I was thinking maybe a Birthright-style game, with politics and intrigue being focused on just as much as the Norwegian inspired fantasy. Also, I had an idea where, assisted by Sven and Olaf, Kristoff puts on a disguise to give out gifts to the children of the villages hit hardest by the unexpected summer blizzard.

Visit my author page!

Return to “Sidekicks Lounge”