Justice League: War

Discuss anything vaguely M&M related here, such as comics, movies, and action figures.
Ares
Hero
Hero

Justice League: War

Postby Ares » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:27 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mec1hOKrd4s

So . . . we finally get a full length animated DC film that looks to star Captain Marvel in a significant role where he isn't A) an antagonist (Superman/Batman: Public Enemies) or B) brutally murdered (Flashpoint), and where he is actually a member of the Justice League . . . and it's the Nu-52 version of everyone involved.

There's just no darned justice in the world, I swear.

Going just by the trailer, the voice acting seems kind of spotty. There's every possibility that this will be better than the comic it's based on, much as how the Superman/Batman movies were better than those books, but then again, that wouldn't require a whole lot of effort given the source material. It's going to be a hard film to get through if everyone is acting like their Nu-52 counterparts, wherein half of the League are going to be acting like petulant jerks. The animation looks solid, but the voice acting sounds slightly questionable thus far.

I hope this doesn't start a trend of DC's animated features tending towards the Nu-52. Their animation was one place where it was nice to see more traditional takes on the characters still flourishing. Be a shame if they started to move away from that.

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Re: Justice League: War

Postby saint_matthew » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:12 am

Ares wrote:So . . . we finally get a full length animated DC film that looks to star Captain Marvel in a significant role where he isn't A) an antagonist (Superman/Batman: Public Enemies) or B) brutally murdered (Flashpoint), and where he is actually a member of the Justice League . . . and it's the Nu-52 version of everyone involved.

Yeahm it is a bit of a kick to the the teeth. I'd have prefered the Captain Marvel from the last animated feature he was legitimately in... That was exactly how you do a Captain Marvel story.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

HappyDaze
Luminary
Luminary

Postby HappyDaze » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:50 am

Ares wrote:
I hope this doesn't start a trend of DC's animated features tending towards the Nu-52. Their animation was one place where it was nice to see more traditional takes on the characters still flourishing. Be a shame if they started to move away from that.

I would be surprised if they don't start pushing toward making everything match their current comic lines. That it hasn't happened already doesn't make me doubt that they're heading that way.

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby The_Watchman » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:42 am

HappyDaze wrote:I would be surprised if they don't start pushing toward making everything match their current comic lines. That it hasn't happened already doesn't make me doubt that they're heading that way.

I think it is already happening. Their cinematic efforts certainly match up. The cinematic Superman and Green Lantern would not be at all out of place in nu52 Justice League series.
"This is all your fault! You shouldn't have taken that cat! You don't teleport into strange metal places and steal pets!"
Builds

Thakowsaizmu
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Thakowsaizmu » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:41 am

Ares wrote:I hope this doesn't start a trend of DC's animated features tending towards the Nu-52. Their animation was one place where it was nice to see more traditional takes on the characters still flourishing. Be a shame if they started to move away from that.

After this is supposed to be Batman and Son, followed by a Batman one based on the Arkham games :| This is according to the Flashpoint DVD.
♀♥♀
百年如石、一點如漆

Ares
Hero
Hero

Postby Ares » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:41 pm

Well, Damien could be something from the old continuity, as he was introduced before the Flashpoint debacle, and the Arkham games are their own thing, and honestly could make for a fun film. And Scribblenauts thankfully offers you the chance to use classic versions of the characters, even calling Captain Marvel by the right name there.

Still, between War, the inclusion of Cyborg in some of the Justice League media, and games like Injustice and Infinite Crisis having multiple versions of characters but with a heavy focus for their Nu-52 counterparts, I just have to hope that the DC animation will still do some of the more classic storylines. It's a shame we never got to see "The Judas Contract" in animated form.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:24 am

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:21 am

Charles Phipps wrote:I hated-hated-HATED this movie.

http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogsp ... eview.html

Huh, JLA WAR! What is it good for? Absolutely nothing. Say it again.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

Goldar
Disciple
Disciple

Postby Goldar » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:23 am

Charles Phipps wrote:I hated-hated-HATED this movie.

So I take it you didn't like this movie. :wink:

Anything in particular or the whole thing in general? Was it the graphics, color, or dialog? Or just not into the whole "NU 52" thing?

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:20 pm

Well, you could read my link and review.

:lol:

Boiled down to it, I hated the Justice League, their personalities, and how they were presented.

Mr Mole
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Mr Mole » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:32 pm

Charles Phipps wrote:Well, you could read my link and review.

:lol:

Boiled down to it, I hated the Justice League, their personalities, and how they were presented.

I read it and was reminded of a post a couple months ago by Ares...

http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=54357&start=15#p1380564

My response then:

Just watched it. Ares' post covers my thoughts almost exactly.

This movie would only be slightly bad except for the misleading words "Justice League" in the title.

I generally liked the Flash's portrayal, although he was severely underutilized. Batman was okay. Cyborg was tolerable. Pretty much everyone else was bad to horrible and had zero connection to anything that ever made the characters worthwhile to begin with. Wonder Woman... Wow, I just don't have the words to describe how badly written her part was.

There were just so many parts of that movie that struck me as wrong on a fundamental level... I could start pointing them out specifically, but I don't want to dwell on it that deeply... It'd put me in a foul mood and my nerdrage isn't a pretty sight... :mrgreen:

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:13 pm

Yeah.

I nickname this group the "Justice Authority."

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Voltron64 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:22 am

Charles Phipps wrote:Yeah.

Better yet, the Justice Douches.
Power doesn't corrupt. Power appeals to the corrupt. - Charles Phipps

Certainly it would be a better world if bigotry were rewarded with a straightjacket and a padded cell more often. - Libra

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby The_Watchman » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:50 am

Voltron64 wrote:
Charles Phipps wrote:Yeah.

Better yet, the Justice Douches.

Ultimate Justice
"This is all your fault! You shouldn't have taken that cat! You don't teleport into strange metal places and steal pets!"
Builds

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arkrite » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:56 am

Justice Jerks?

Return to “Sidekicks Lounge”