Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Discuss anything vaguely M&M related here, such as comics, movies, and action figures.
The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Postby The_Watchman » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:30 pm

So...everyone saw the trailer? Loved it.

I know the Winter Soldier's identity is widely known among comic readers but there is really no mystery here even for those who don't. IMDB gives both names and his face is shown without the mask several times. I hope the movie isn't going to try and make a mystery of his real identity. How he became Winter Soldier is presumably the real mystery. If SHIELD or their mysterious council is behind it, that could be a cool twist.

The Steve Rogers, Director of SHIELD costume is an interesting reference and looks pretty good. Obviously not going to last the whole movie and I have to assume there will be a "get back to basics" scene when Steve puts on the more traditional costume after being betrayed by SHIELD or the powers behind them.

It'll be interesting to see if Brock Lumlow is a full on neo-Nazi or just a goon working for the Big Bad. Given Red Skull and HYDRA's complete abandonment of Nazi ideology in The First Avenger, I'm guessing the latter.

Robert Redford...probably the Red Skull in disguise or definitely the Red Skull in disguise?
"This is all your fault! You shouldn't have taken that cat! You don't teleport into strange metal places and steal pets!"
Builds

Thakowsaizmu
Zealot
Zealot

Re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Postby Thakowsaizmu » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:36 pm

Captain America was my favourite of the Marvel movies, so I am really looking forward to this one :D
♀♥♀
百年如石、一點如漆

Kyle
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Kyle » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:16 pm

The_Watchman wrote:So...everyone saw the trailer? Loved it.

Yeah, it's awesome. I wrote a break-down of it here.

The_Watchman wrote:It'll be interesting to see if Brock Lumlow is a full on neo-Nazi or just a goon working for the Big Bad. Given Red Skull and HYDRA's complete abandonment of Nazi ideology in The First Avenger, I'm guessing the latter.

I can't imagine he's going to be a neo-Nazi in the film. That seems like the sort of thing S.H.I.E.L.D. would screen for.

The_Watchman wrote:Robert Redford...probably the Red Skull in disguise or definitely the Red Skull in disguise?

I hadn't even considered that. His character is named after one from the Nick Fury comics, but obviously Marvel's willing to play fairly loose with continuity, for the better.

Hopefully the villain won't be the Red Skull, though. One of the problems I have with the X-Men films is that Magneto is always the bad guy. Even in the instalments where it's someone else, it always ends up being the X-Men vs. Magneto in the end. Marvel Studios has done a fairly good job of mixing it up -- though we'll have to see if Loki is the real final boss in the new Thor film -- and I think it's been for the better.

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby The_Watchman » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:32 pm

Kyle wrote:
The_Watchman wrote:So...everyone saw the trailer? Loved it.

Yeah, it's awesome. I wrote a break-down of it here.

The_Watchman wrote:It'll be interesting to see if Brock Lumlow is a full on neo-Nazi or just a goon working for the Big Bad. Given Red Skull and HYDRA's complete abandonment of Nazi ideology in The First Avenger, I'm guessing the latter.

I can't imagine he's going to be a neo-Nazi in the film. That seems like the sort of thing S.H.I.E.L.D. would screen for.

One would hope. I may have phrased that poorly. I meant if he'd be more the outright scumbag of the comic Crossbones or a more generic "evil soldier" ala Blonsky in Incredible Hulk. Given that Cap seems to absolutely mop the floor with Lumlow and the other (SHIELD?) guys in the elevator, he may not be that relevant beyond being the face for SHIELD gone bad.

Kyle wrote:
The_Watchman wrote:Robert Redford...probably the Red Skull in disguise or definitely the Red Skull in disguise?

I hadn't even considered that. His character is named after one from the Nick Fury comics, but obviously Marvel's willing to play fairly loose with continuity, for the better.

Hopefully the villain won't be the Red Skull, though. One of the problems I have with the X-Men films is that Magneto is always the bad guy. Even in the instalments where it's someone else, it always ends up being the X-Men vs. Magneto in the end. Marvel Studios has done a fairly good job of mixing it up -- though we'll have to see if Loki is the real final boss in the new Thor film -- and I think it's been for the better.

I hope so as well. It seems like Marvel Studios is striving for different villains even if the general archetype is similar like "bad guy in a mech suit", "Russian guy in a mech suit", and "bad guy IS a mech suit." If Captain America: The Winter Soldier is not using Red Skull (hopefully), I assume The Secret Empire is the Big Bad.
"This is all your fault! You shouldn't have taken that cat! You don't teleport into strange metal places and steal pets!"
Builds

ghostman76
Luminary
Luminary

Postby ghostman76 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:28 pm

Saw the trailer in front of Thor: The Dark World. Wow....I have no idea how the movie will turn out, can't say that until I see it, but I can say this trailer was WILDLY successful in hyping me up about the film. I really liked the first Cap movie because of it's antique feel, so I was worried that a movie that was going to be a modern story involving Cap wouldn't have the same charm.

But as I said, this trailer sealed the deal for me. I love it when Captain America proves that he's not a jingoistic watchdog that his critics like to label him. The best Captain America to me is the one that stands as a symbol of what America should be.

Plus, just fanboy glee here...The Winter Solider looks spot on perfect.
"One must first experience pain in order to be able to appreciate it's absence."

badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Postby badpenny » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:20 pm

There's another player in the Winter Soldier story, Aleksander Lukin. Redford might be playing him in disguise.

Mr Mole
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Mr Mole » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:53 pm

For what it's worth, IMDB lists credits Redford with the role of "Alexander Pierce," who I vaguely remember being a SHIELD ally of Fury back around the end of the '80s, when SHIELD had been taken over by Deltans/The Deltite (basically LMDs, for those who don't already know).

I haven't researched the movie any more than having seen one trailer the other day and looking up Redford's role, so I don't know any more about it than anyone else... But since I don't recall Pierce making much in the way of appearances outside that particular storyline, some sort of SHIELD takeover (whether by Deltites or someone/something else) could very well be part of the movie.

Then again, I'm basing that premise on my imperfect memory of obscure Marvel characters from over twenty years ago, so I could easily be overlooking something important. :|

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby The_Watchman » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:38 pm

badpenny wrote:There's another player in the Winter Soldier story, Aleksander Lukin. Redford might be playing him in disguise.

Thats what I was thinking with my Red Skull theory
Builds

Return to “Sidekicks Lounge”