Green Lantern: Lights Out

Discuss anything vaguely M&M related here, such as comics, movies, and action figures.
Darrin Kelley
Zealot
Zealot

Green Lantern: Lights Out

Post by Darrin Kelley »

I picked up and read the totality of this story last week. And I came away with nothing but sheer anger at the writer of this abomination.

It was a sheer hatchet-job on the Green Lantern property. A push to make the property "dark and edgy" where it wasn't needed. Because there are plenty of dark elements to the Green Lantern property already.

I'm sickened and disappointed at DC for allowing such a ruination of a successful property.

Mr Mole
Firebrand
Firebrand

Re: Green Lantern: Lights Out

Post by Mr Mole »

Darrin Kelley wrote: I'm sickened and disappointed at DC for allowing such a ruination of a successful property.
I can't comment on the specifics of the story, as I haven't even given it a glance... But you have my sympathy regarding being sickened and disappointed at DC... I don't have the energy left to feel any new disappointment these days... But the scars run deep from a couple years ago when they did to pretty much the entire DC universe what you describe them doing to Green Lantern now...

DSumner
Hero
Hero

Post by DSumner »

Darrin Kelley wrote:I picked up and read the totality of this story last week. And I came away with nothing but sheer anger at the writer of this abomination.

It was a sheer hatchet-job on the Green Lantern property. A push to make the property "dark and edgy" where it wasn't needed. Because there are plenty of dark elements to the Green Lantern property already.

I'm sickened and disappointed at DC for allowing such a ruination of a successful property.
So I take it you're not a fan of this particular storyline? ;) On a serious not, I haven't read any of the books, so would you mind sharing a few of your specific complaints?
"There is no such thing as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Death is certain, life is not."

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Post by saint_matthew »

Mr Mole wrote:
Darrin Kelley wrote: I'm sickened and disappointed at DC for allowing such a ruination of a successful property.
I can't comment on the specifics of the story, as I haven't even given it a glance... But you have my sympathy regarding being sickened and disappointed at DC... I don't have the energy left to feel any new disappointment these days... But the scars run deep from a couple years ago when they did to pretty much the entire DC universe what you describe them doing to Green Lantern now...
I thought i'd just share this with you Mr. Mole, its from a company looking to pull an image comics, but with more style.

This is from a group called Arclight Comics, who want to make & publish comics about there own superhero universe, unfortuantely i don't see them achieving there desires, the problem being that they are all nice, genuine guys who happen to be optimists... They really need an arsehole realist working the business end for them, otherwise they won't get anywhere.

Anyway, what you just said reminded me of this emotive words of wisdom info-graphic.

Okay, back to your regular conversation thread.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Post by The_Watchman »

Darrin Kelley wrote:It was a sheer hatchet-job on the Green Lantern property. A push to make the property "dark and edgy" where it wasn't needed. Because there are plenty of dark elements to the Green Lantern property already.
Fortunately, the end of Johns' run had pretty definitive conclusions for all the main characters so I can just pretend that was the end of the series until I have a reason to care again.
"This is all your fault! You shouldn't have taken that cat! You don't teleport into strange metal places and steal pets!"
Builds

Darrin Kelley
Zealot
Zealot

Post by Darrin Kelley »

DSumner wrote:So I take it you're not a fan of this particular storyline? ;) On a serious not, I haven't read any of the books, so would you mind sharing a few of your specific complaints?
Destruction of seven of the Emotional Entities. Including The White Entity.

This contradicted an important piece of information shown in the Blackest Night. That if the White Entity was damaged, all life threatened to be undone. And if it were to die, all life and matter would go along with it.

The "new fact" that any time any Lantern uses their ring, they are now depleting the font of energy that gives the universe its substance. Yes. By using their rings at all, the Lanterns are now actively destroying the universe.

Several iconic Green Lanterns quit the Corps, rather than continue to be a party to the universe's destruction.

Relic was an utter throw-away villain. He was ended during the storyline. He was never meant to stick around or be interesting at all. Total deus ex machina.

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Post by The_Watchman »

Darrin Kelley wrote:
DSumner wrote:So I take it you're not a fan of this particular storyline? ;) On a serious not, I haven't read any of the books, so would you mind sharing a few of your specific complaints?
Destruction of seven of the Emotional Entities. Including The White Entity.

This contradicted an important piece of information shown in the Blackest Night. That if the White Entity was damaged, all life threatened to be undone. And if it were to die, all life and matter would go along with it.

The "new fact" that any time any Lantern uses their ring, they are now depleting the font of energy that gives the universe its substance. Yes. By using their rings at all, the Lanterns are now actively destroying the universe.

Several iconic Green Lanterns quit the Corps, rather than continue to be a party to the universe's destruction.

Relic was an utter throw-away villain. He was ended during the storyline. He was never meant to stick around or be interesting at all. Total deus ex machina.
Yeah...none of that really made any sense. My understanding was that the seven color entities are supposed to basically be manifestations of the mental energy that sentient beings give off when they experience the requisite emotion. White is the embodiment of the creation energy that Krona viewed and Nekron is entropy .
For their to be a finite amount of emotional energy is nonsensical when it is constantly being generated (unless somehow sentient beings are just drawing on it in a tiny way when they feel fear, hope, etc). Now resource depletion could theoretically make sense given the massive amounts of energy expended during the various mega events of the last few years so I could see maybe paring down the number of active lanterns for a bit (say 1 to a sector) until that resource is naturally restored but permanently draining it is just absurd. If nothing else, it means the Guardians had never figured out that they were draining emotional energy and it kind of means the Guardians were right to try and destroy the Corps and convert everyone into emotionless beings.

A new writer wanting the entities to be gone is something I can deal with but the execution was not good. But hey, at least they weren't changed to the point where they just pop out of Boom Tubes and shout their name while Superman kills their minions with a truck.
"This is all your fault! You shouldn't have taken that cat! You don't teleport into strange metal places and steal pets!"
Builds

heridfel
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Post by heridfel »

I thought the OP was an exaggeration. I wish I had been right. If I want to read a thinly-veiled screed against the depletion of fossil fuels, I have any number of choices. I want to read about superheroes. Green Lantern was less affected by new 52. Now it might as well have been as rewritten as Green Arrow was.

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Post by The_Watchman »

heridfel wrote:I thought the OP was an exaggeration. I wish I had been right. If I want to read a thinly-veiled screed against the depletion of fossil fuels, I have any number of choices. I want to read about superheroes. Green Lantern was less affected by new 52. Now it might as well have been as rewritten as Green Arrow was.
Yes. A Green Lantern storyline about limitations. Because that's clearly in keeping with the very core of the character with the will-powered wishing ring. The sad thing is, I think I could be OK with this if instead of just a limited resources tale, the issue was that the Lanterns were actually draining their requisite emotion from the people of the universe. So, for example, by calling on Will energy so much, the Green Lanterns were actually making sentient beings weaker willed. It would be an interesting way to explore the necessity of the "negative emotions" like Fear and Rage while also posing the question of whether having a few people solve the universe's problems is actually a good thing. It has moral nuance.

This storyline really doesn't IMHO. Manhunter tech, for example, is able to match many of the powers of the Green Lanterns but doesn't (as far as I can remember) use the emotional spectrum. Use that tech. It's clearly immoral to slowly kill the universe when other options are available. I get that that's the point of the fossil fuels allegory they seem to be going for, but this is an oversimplification. If every single person using fossil fuels was A) completely certain that using them was destroying the universe in an irrevocable way, B) using the fuels in a way that is beneficial but not necessary for day to day functions or at least C) aware of many other devices or technologies that could do most if not all of the same things but without the whole destroying the universe issue, I don't think there'd be any debate. Seriously. This development makes the GLs inherently selfish or at least short-sighted. Not only could they use other technologies to do their job as protectors, nearly every universe-threatening thing the GLs have dealt with in the last decade was directly due to the use of the emotional spectrum.
Builds

K.G. Carlson
Zealot
Zealot

Post by K.G. Carlson »

Yeah, this story was dumb in that late Star Trek:TNG "warp speed is damaging space - thinly veiled enviro-kookiness" kinda way.

As I was reading this storyline, I repeatedly asked myself "when was the last time you enjoyed a Lantern comic that wasn't Red?" and promptly cancelled all my light-weilding titles this week.
"More powerful than a locomotive...and about as subtle!"
--Joker

Say goodbye to gravity, say goodbye to death
Hello to eternity and live for every breath
-The Wicker Man, Iron Maiden

thaumonuclear
Comrade
Comrade

Post by thaumonuclear »

Darrin Kelley wrote: Destruction of seven of the Emotional Entities. Including The White Entity.
I guess they like Parallax though, since they deliberately didn't include the yellow entity in this story.

Mortium
Groupie
Groupie

Post by Mortium »

Reading this I may end up canceling my GL subs too.... :x

JetstreamGW
Daredevil
Daredevil

Post by JetstreamGW »

Mortium wrote:Reading this I may end up canceling my GL subs too.... :x
Here's what we're gonna do. Everyone drop Superheroes, all of them, all at once.

We hold the industry hostage. Make sure we still go to the good movies, though, so they understand that we don't hate Superheroes, just the shit they're doing.

We dangle our money over their heads and force them to listen for once! And then they'll give in to all our demands!

We need ten million dollars in unmarked bills, a helicopter, and...

Wait... Wait I got my Superhero plan mixed up with.. a different plan...

Nevermind...

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Post by saint_matthew »

JetstreamGW wrote:
Here's what we're gonna do. Everyone drop Superheroes, all of them, all at once.

We hold the industry hostage. Make sure we still go to the good movies, though, so they understand that we don't hate Superheroes, just the shit they're doing.

We dangle our money over their heads and force them to listen for once! And then they'll give in to all our demands!

Nevermind...
Better plan: We shut down the government until they agree with us.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

JetstreamGW
Daredevil
Daredevil

Post by JetstreamGW »

saint_matthew wrote:
JetstreamGW wrote:

Nevermind...
Better plan: We shut down the government until they agree with us.
That's even less likely to be effective than the helicopter and cash plan.

At least with the helicopter and cash plan we have a helicopter. And cash.