Captain Marvel#1.......Again???

Discuss anything vaguely M&M related here, such as comics, movies, and action figures.
Vexous
Cohort
Cohort
Posts: 263
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:08 pm

Re: Captain Marvel#1.......Again???

Postby Vexous » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:37 pm

"Learned" a few things since the first post. First, there seems to be several new female titles coming out, Widow and Elektra seem to be getting their own books as well. Maybe this is some push and Carol got tossed in. Maybe its just a bunch of mini series but I don't think so, seemed like full blown titles.

That said, and this one here is my shining hope, Rick Jones of the Ultimate Universe has put on Cap's suit and has come to the mainline Marvel U. I'm really Really REALLY hoping that after some grand event Carol hands over the title to Rick. Aww, wouldn't that be sweet? Whatever works, just get her out of that outfit and give her her name back. I'm good with that. Just a thought on my part but it sounds like a good maybe.

User avatar
Kyle
Sidekick
Sidekick
Posts: 358
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:38 pm
Location: Canada, eh?

Re: Captain Marvel#1.......Again???

Postby Kyle » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:00 pm

saint_matthew wrote:
Kyle wrote:When I say female friendly, I suppose what I actually mean is not openly hostile to women.


So essentially anything not written by someone whose last name is Miller.

Kyle wrote:Sadly too much of what's on the shelves can't pass that basic test.


Personally i think you'd be pushing it to find one such book a month from all three major publishers & not even that with any consistency.

Because this isn't one of those subjective things, this is one of those things that we can actually quantify objectively if we wanted to waste time doing so... In fact if you care to do so you & i can sit down and do a comic break down for an entire month of comics, just pick the month & make the pull list.

Before such a break down could be done, we'd have to come to a consensus regarding just what qualifies as hostile to women, and I suspect that you and aren't likely to agree.

saint_matthew wrote:Comics are not a boys club, see a boys club would specifically have a rule of "no girls allowed" where as comics has never had such a rule... Women have always been allowed both as creators & fans. Never mistake absense for exclusion, especially given that the absense itself is non-existant.

So what is, in your mind, the reason for the disparity in numbers between men and women working in the comics industry?

saint_matthew wrote:
Kyle wrote:There was a recent interview with Mark Millar where he expressed disappointment that the script for 'Kick Ass 2' was changed so it no longer featured a gang rape that was in the comic.


/facepalm. Mark Millar is not comics... He's also not a representative of comics...

Millar was an consultant during the filming of 'Iron Man'. 'The Avengers' draws a huge amount of inspiration from THE ULTIMATES. Fox has now brought Millar on board to oversee the creative direction of their X-Men and Fantastic Four franchises.

All those movies feed back into their comics counterparts.

Mark Millar's vision of what superheroes are and should be is hugely influential right now. If you don't think he's a representative of comics, you're not looking at the big picture.

saint_matthew wrote:I mean by that logic Mutants and Masterminds is sexist, homophobic, racist, xenophobic trash, because somewhere in the RPG industry there are people who possess all those traits either individually or in a single raging misanthrope. But we don't judge Green Ronin products on the basis of those people, so why would you judge all comics or the industry on the existance of Mark Millar.

I threw Millar out there as an example of a comics creator who is extremely successful and throws around a lot of weight in the medium. Obviously he's not the sole reason I would claim that a significant portion of comics are hostile to women, but if he were the only problem there wouldn't be a problem because there's no way someone who writes stories as despicable as Mark Millar's could get work in an industry that wasn't dominated by people completely unaware of their privilege.

Kyle wrote:If you had told me Marvel Studios would be working on a Guardians of the Galaxy film a few years back, I would have been completely incredulous. If you really think a Captain Marvel film is off the table, I think you're underestimating Marvel Studios intent to build movie franchises.


No, a Ms Marvel movie is currently off the table because its currently off the table: Marvel Studios has announced all the movies in this production tier & Captian/Ms Marvel is not among them.[/quote]
So what you're saying is that after they current slate of movies that they've announced if finished, Marvel Studios is shutting down?

saint_matthew wrote:
Kyle wrote:There has to be a reason for Carol's recent push,


Thats because Hickman had plans to use her for Infinity & in his future Avengers stuff.

I can't wait for Marvel's announcement of solo titles for all the other characters in Hickman's AVENGERS. That's going to take up a lot of shelf space.

saint_matthew wrote:
Kyle wrote:Didn't you mention the MC2 SPIDER-GIRL up thread?


I did, the difference being that it was saved from cancellation for a time by fans who were not only enthusiastic, but who also made it profitable at a grass roots level. Where as Captain Marvel has never been popular & there has never been enough people interested in it to save it: Practically its entire life has been beneath the cancellation line.

Apparently Marvel feels there's enough enthusiasm for a Kelly Sue DeConnick written CAPTAIN MARVEL to give the book another shot.

saint_matthew wrote:An yet Spectrum just can't seem to get any love.

The two issues of CAPTAIN MARVEL she was in were pretty decent.

User avatar
saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord
Posts: 4381
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:31 pm
Location: Perth, AUSTRALIA

Re: Captain Marvel#1.......Again???

Postby saint_matthew » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:56 pm

Kyle wrote:So what is, in your mind, the reason for the disparity in numbers between men and women working in the comics industry?


The same thing that causes a disparity in any industry in which women are more common than men: A lack of interest coupled with a lack of skill... Its the same reason why a huge percentage of authors of novels about superheroes are also not written by women... Even when they are self published, PoD or Vanity Published. There is no vast conspiracy, its the same reason why so very few male authors write family saga & romance novels. Its the same reason why so few women drive rubbish trucks.

Never mistake absence for exclusion.

Kyle wrote:Millar was an consultant during the filming of 'Iron Man'.


Kyle it doesn't matter if Millar was suddenly announced to be president of the United States of America, thats immaterial to the fact that his existance as such would not make comic books an anti-woman boys club.

Kyle wrote:Obviously he's not the sole reason I would claim that a significant portion of comics are hostile to women, but if he were the only problem there wouldn't be a problem because there's no way someone who writes stories as despicable as Mark Millar's could get work in an industry that wasn't dominated by people completely unaware of their privilege.


Oh Kyle mate, never make the privilege argument, it just makes one look like a kook. Privilege is one of those arguments made by people on the far left who want an excuse for why other people have succeedded where they personally failed: Can't be because you didn't work hard enough, can't be because you are not very good at the thing you chose to do, has to be a vast conspiracy by the evil white hetrosexual patriarchy, keeping me down.

Kyle wrote:So what you're saying is that after they current slate of movies that they've announced if finished, Marvel Studios is shutting down?


Kyle, you seem to be forgetting the original statement made her, because you seem to be shadow boxing with something never said. So just as a reminder here is what was actually said:

I'm going to put this to bed right now: There is no intention at this point to make a Captain Marvel film. Marvel Studios has announced all the movies for this tier & Carol doesn't seem to be among it. Also that rumour was put to bed months ago as just a rumour.


This statement still stands.

Kyle wrote:Apparently Marvel feels there's enough enthusiasm for a Kelly Sue DeConnick written CAPTAIN MARVEL to give the book another shot.


LOL, no they really don't. If they thought that, they wouldn't be cancelling it to relaunch it & they wouldn't have reduced the amount of times a year its coming out.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

User avatar
Kyle
Sidekick
Sidekick
Posts: 358
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:38 pm
Location: Canada, eh?

Re: Captain Marvel#1.......Again???

Postby Kyle » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:55 pm

saint_matthew wrote:
Kyle wrote:So what is, in your mind, the reason for the disparity in numbers between men and women working in the comics industry?


The same thing that causes a disparity in any industry in which women are more common than men: A lack of interest coupled with a lack of skill... Its the same reason why a huge percentage of authors of novels about superheroes are also not written by women... Even when they are self published, PoD or Vanity Published. There is no vast conspiracy, its the same reason why so very few male authors write family saga & romance novels. Its the same reason why so few women drive rubbish trucks.

Just to be clear, when you say lack of skill, what you mean is that there’s something inherent in women that which makes them less capable of writing superhero fiction?

saint_matthew wrote:
Kyle wrote:Millar was an consultant during the filming of 'Iron Man'.


Kyle it doesn't matter if Millar was suddenly announced to be president of the United States of America, thats immaterial to the fact that his existance as such would not make comic books an anti-woman boys club.

I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make here.

My argument is that Mark Millar’s popularity and influence in the realm of superhero comic books and related media is indicative of a larger culture which, at best, is ignorant of issues which are exclusive to, or primarily effect women, and, at worst, is openly hostile to women.

Specific issues I’m referring to would include male gaze, objectification, slut shaming, “fridging”, and a perpetuation of rape culture.

Mark Millar is not the catalyst of these issues in comics, nor is he solely responsible for their continuation. However, only in a culture that harbours some hostility towards women would a guy like Mark Millar have risen to the level of prestige he has.

Obviously this is symptomatic of a much larger problem that is endemic to Western society, but superhero comics seem particularly egregious.

saint_matthew wrote:Oh Kyle mate, never make the privilege argument, it just makes one look like a kook. Privilege is one of those arguments made by people on the far left who want an excuse for why other people have succeedded where they personally failed: Can't be because you didn't work hard enough, can't be because you are not very good at the thing you chose to do, has to be a vast conspiracy by the evil white hetrosexual patriarchy, keeping me down.

Matthew, I like you. You’re a passionate and outspoken, and it frequently makes your posts interesting to read. So I say this with all the love and respect I can have for a person who exists in my mind solely as a collection of exceptionally belligerent text on the internet:

Don’t be an asshole.

I’m not particularly fond of using the term privilege in a discussion, because it has definitely accrued a lot of baggage in recent years. However, it also functions fairly succinctly as shorthand for a much larger argument. However, you’re not objecting to the terminology, but the reality of the argument.

I do not for a single moment believe that you’re incapable of recognising that people born with certain attributes have advantages in life that others without those attributes do not. To claim that’s the case, someone would have to be completely unable to view the world objectively and understand causality.

Here, there’s a science fiction author I like, John Scalzi, who wrote a piece on the issue explaining privilege in geek terms much better than I could hope to.

Straight White Male: The Lowest Difficulty Setting There Is

saint_matthew wrote:
Kyle wrote:Apparently Marvel feels there's enough enthusiasm for a Kelly Sue DeConnick written CAPTAIN MARVEL to give the book another shot.


LOL, no they really don't. If they thought that, they wouldn't be cancelling it to relaunch it & they wouldn't have reduced the amount of times a year its coming out.

I haven’t seen anything outside this thread that says the book is going to be bi-monthly, and I just looked at a handful of different comics news sites that reported the relaunch.

User avatar
Thakowsaizmu
Zealot
Zealot
Posts: 1279
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 12:28 am
Contact:

Re: Captain Marvel#1.......Again???

Postby Thakowsaizmu » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:19 pm

Kyle wrote:Here, there’s a science fiction author I like, John Scalzi, who wrote a piece on the issue explaining privilege in geek terms much better than I could hope to.

Straight White Male: The Lowest Difficulty Setting There Is

Thanks for sharing. He has a decent grasp on the subject, and I fully understand why he didn't go off on anything, and just stuck to his main point. Succinct.
Unfortunately privilege is real. It's what we do with that revelation once we see that determines our character.
♀♥♀
百年如石、一點如漆

Vexous
Cohort
Cohort
Posts: 263
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:08 pm

Re: Captain Marvel#1.......Again???

Postby Vexous » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:12 pm

Sorry if I was unclear. The current soon to be axed title is bi-monthly, 16 released in September, 17 coming out in November, and so on. No idea what her new schedule would be, but at a guess it'll probably go monthly until failing horribly. Like the last one.

User avatar
Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Posts: 11094
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:02 pm
Location: The Frozen North

Re: Captain Marvel#1.......Again???

Postby Arkrite » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:36 pm

Thakowsaizmu wrote:Thanks for sharing. He has a decent grasp on the subject, and I fully understand why he didn't go off on anything, and just stuck to his main point. Succinct.


At least somebody got something out of that.
All I heard was a guy repeatedly saying "You got it easy". Honestly, that's all he really kept saying. He said it in a metaphor about video games, which I'm normally all for, but that's all I got out of it.

And you know, I don't have a problem with being told I have it easier than some, per say. Because I do have it easier than some. I don't have to worry about being attacked by people for how I live my life (now that I'm out of high school :~P), I avoid a lot of racism in my home country, and I was lucky enough to be born where I'm able to eat and care for myself and my family. I am pretty damn lucky.

... But I don't understand why it's okay for that to be a reason to disregarded, or actively disliked.
I find it a little worrisome. It's "okay" because "everybody does it".
Except when this is done to somebody who is considered a minority this is as horrible thing.
And that's when I start getting confused. Is it okay to be acting in a racist fashion against the majority because they're the majority?
Shouldn't we be trying to treat everybody in an equal and fair fashion? Aren't we, by the efforts of singling out one group of people, simple continuing the problem in a new direction?

And the part that really makes me sad is that normally at this point somebody will point and say "you've got it easy, you have no idea of what you're talking about" and the fact I was born white and hetero will somehow negate any points I've made. :~/

But I think I'm derailing this whole thing pretty bad.

So back to comics. I don't think most of the writers know how to write a strong female lead. But then again most of them seem to have problems writing married couples too.
Maybe we need to start some form of campaign to have them sent to classes on how to better write these things?

User avatar
Thakowsaizmu
Zealot
Zealot
Posts: 1279
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 12:28 am
Contact:

Re: Captain Marvel#1.......Again???

Postby Thakowsaizmu » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:42 pm

Arkrite wrote:the fact I was born white and hetero will somehow negate any points I've made. :~/

Your circumstances are like everyone else's. You were given certain privilege through not fault or action of your own. So you being white and hetero does not negate anything, because it's not a race to see who is more subjugated, marginalized or what have you. But, in like kind, it is when you attempt to use your white, hetero privilege to silence or negate another person that your privilege becomes an issue. You can never know what it's like to need birth control for a medical issue that has nothing to do with contraceptive (because lesbianism is already a contraceptive) and be called a whore for popping the pill. That is something you can definitely empathize with though, that is something you can say "wow, that's just wrong. I am sorry." And that is awesome! But, it is when someone says "well, why don't you just take some other pill?" or "I don't understand why anyone would even need that," and in so stating you help to negate or invalidate someone else's legitimate need that there's an issue with white hetero male privilege. It's when there is the endless barrage of "I'm not racist, but...", "I'm not sexist, but...", "I'm not homophobic, but...", "I'm not transphobic, but..." that there is an issue. And yes, non-white, non-straight, non-male people do that too. And it is just as wrong for them to do it as it is for anyone else to. Just as you should not use your voice to negate another's, no one should use theirs to negate you.

But I do have to say, being confronted with your privilege is an often times painful thing. I am not black. I cannot know what it is like to be treated as less than human for the colour of my skin (though I can for other reasons. But that in no way negates my white privilege) in some places or in some ways. But I can empathize. And I can check myself, and before I combat the fact that there are POC (people of colour) who will always have it worse than me in that respect, I can shut up and listen. And then I know. And then I grow. And then I see what I can do to make sure I do not impress that privilege on someone else due to something as trivial as skin colour. And one day I hope that skin colour, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, so on and so forth ad infinitum will no longer be something that anyone is judged on. Sadly today is not that day. But for now, I will take off my Feminist hat and get back to the thread:

Comics rule! :D

Seriously, though, Marvel (and DC), stop! Just stop. Hand it over to us so we can fix your mistakes :D
♀♥♀
百年如石、一點如漆

User avatar
saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord
Posts: 4381
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:31 pm
Location: Perth, AUSTRALIA

Re: Captain Marvel#1.......Again???

Postby saint_matthew » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:08 am

Arkrite wrote:So back to comics. I don't think most of the writers know how to write a strong female lead. But then again most of them seem to have problems writing married couples too. Maybe we need to start some form of campaign to have them sent to classes on how to better write these things?


To be fair the list of character types comic book writeras currently have lost the ability to write also includes
- Asian people
- Black people
- British people with out relying on horrible cliches
- Gay people
- Happily single people
- Happily in a relationship people
- Super-heroes
- Hetro-sexual white people
-People who aren't miserable
- Pretty much anyone living on the planet earth or in the same universe/reality as any planet resembling Earth at any point in its history, or possible alternate history

Thats not so much an issue, rather than a symptom of the recent trend in progressively crappier & crappier writing.

Thakowsaizmu wrote:Your circumstances are like everyone else's. You were given certain privilege through not fault or action of your own. So you being white and hetero does not negate anything, because it's not a race to see who is more subjugated, marginalized or what have you.


um, actually yeah on the left leaning side its very much that... Or can i assume you've not heard of the progressive stack? Or last years WIScon which had a safe room specifically for people of colour, off limits to people who were white, or not ethnic looking enough?

Thakowsaizmu wrote:Seriously, though, Marvel (and DC), stop! Just stop. Hand it over to us so we can fix your mistakes :D


Yeah, i don't think even we can save either DC or Marvel at the moment... An i don't think i would even want to try until the movie speculator bubble pops & comics can stop trying to be a hype generation machine for movies & goes back to being there own medium, telling there own stories.

DC can't be fixed without unbooting almost all of the reboot & marvel can't be fixed until they stop having one writer take over the entire Marvel Universe every time they have an event & co-opting every title: Looks like the only resort is independent publishers for the time being.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

User avatar
The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind
Posts: 2300
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:38 pm

Re: Captain Marvel#1.......Again???

Postby The_Watchman » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:37 am

saint_matthew wrote:um, actually yeah on the left leaning side its very much that... Or can i assume you've not heard of the progressive stack? Or last years WIScon which had a safe room specifically for people of colour, off limits to people who were white, or not ethnic looking enough?

So...the safe space was a space set aside for people of color to be away from the majority if they wished and you see that as discriminatory? I'm a bit unclear as to how one would create a safe space without setting it apart. Presumably, WIScon received enough complaints from con-goers of color that providing the space seemed justified for reasons of empathy and/or profit.

What I'm not getting is why the issues raised by others bother you. How are you harmed by their concerns being addressed? Is there some reason why the problems pointed out by Kyle and Thakowsaizmu must be immediately countered with calls of reverse racism or the old canard of "political correctness gone too far?" I'm being reductive and I apologize for that but I simply fail to see the justification for dismissing the concerns of other perspectives when there is no discernable threat to you. You have stated many times on these boards that you think the current state of comics is deplorable. Would a more progressive approach to to diversity really make things any worse?
"This is all your fault! You shouldn't have taken that cat! You don't teleport into strange metal places and steal pets!"
Builds

King Snarf
Paragon
Paragon
Posts: 3495
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:01 am
Location: Upper Darby, PA (Near Philly)
Contact:

Re: Captain Marvel#1.......Again???

Postby King Snarf » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:40 am

You want a Carol Danvers book to do well and be feminist-friendly? Get Gail Simone to write it. Granted, that's my answer for a lot of things.
Arriba Flight es muy macho!

Visit my blog! http://teentemplars.blogspot.com

Visit my author page!

Vexous
Cohort
Cohort
Posts: 263
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:08 pm

Re: Captain Marvel#1.......Again???

Postby Vexous » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:25 am

Actually, I think "political correctness gone to far" has a lot to do with why Captain Marvel failed. People are so afraid of offending someone, anyone, that the characters they write about, the circumstances they're involved in, the stories themselves, get so bent out of shape that they become unrecognizable. People are so worried about doing the "right" thing that they stumble over themselves and give you some bland, unbelievable, boring garbage.

User avatar
saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord
Posts: 4381
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:31 pm
Location: Perth, AUSTRALIA

Re: Captain Marvel#1.......Again???

Postby saint_matthew » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:34 am

Vexous wrote:Actually, I think "political correctness gone to far" has a lot to do with why Captain Marvel failed. People are so afraid of offending someone, anyone, that the characters they write about, the circumstances they're involved in, the stories themselves, get so bent out of shape that they become unrecognizable. People are so worried about doing the "right" thing that they stumble over themselves and give you some bland, unbelievable, boring garbage.


Hmmmmmm, not on this one. If this were pre-flashpoint Wonder Woman i would agree with you, but not in the case of Capatain Marvel though: In Cap's case its exactly as Watchman pointed out.... Its just a failure of storytelling both in concept & execution.

Unfortunately the creators also did that thing that people writing about minorities sometimes do... They spent so long focusing on the character being a minority, they forgot to also make them a character. I ran into that recently with an upcoming indi book: The writer got online to promote the book & he wrought this entire spiel about the characters personality & how the character is from Louisiana & has two mothers, an a interesting personality... By the end of reading this article i couldn't help my self i had to contact the writer & point out that he was so busy writing about these mostly superflous details that he'd forgotten some really important details like the characters name... Also what the book was about.... Or what the title of the book was.

Sometimes it happens :lol:

The_Watchman wrote:She just doesn't have that one sentence to sum her up succinctly the way a most really successful characters do. That doesn't mean she can't be a strong character (I mean Palmiotti, Gray, and Connor made an excellent Power Girl comic and she has a history as complicated as Carol) but it does mean that she's more vulnerable to inconsistent characterization and writing.


Exactly so. I mean look at all the changes to the character, all without any narrative reason. Why change your name, why change your costume so extremely, how did you change powers, etc etc.

This was a great chance to do exactly what you mentioned in so much as making "Power Girl cool again". They grounded her by giving her a secret identity, they gave her personal life hurdles to strive to get over, they introduced supporting cast, they made you care about the supporting cast, they introduced a rogues gallery one person at a time, an the individual stories arcs had a nice flow.

Where as Captain Marvel tried to jump all the establishing stuff & move directly into the end of the comic volume cycle, the conclusion arcs.... That would be the "we are dismantling our hero & resolving all old hanging plot points" arcs.

Just off the top of my head i could come up with a better establishing plot... Hmmmmm, okay, heres what i've got just off the top of my head: Time has passed since the last time we saw Carol, but something has happened since the last time we saw her & the start of her own series, some major life event, maybe someone died. But the personal truama was enough to upset her status quo & it got her thinking that her life wasn't going the way she wanted, heck she doesn't even know who Carol Danvers is anymore she spends so much time as Marvel.

So she decided to make some life changes & she takes a sabbatical from the Avengers, gets out of New York City & sets up somewhere else as "Carol Danvers" to discover who Carol Danvers really is. She takes a job as a charter pilot so she can be self sufficent & she starts to reestablish her life.

She tries to pick up painting as a hobby, because she heard once thats what one does when one is in the middle of a mid-life crisis... She's not any good at it.

An thats just the first part of issue 1. Second half is being drawn into a superhuman conflict & deciding that while she wants to find out who Carol Danvers really is, Ms Marvel is still a part of that equation... But this time she'd be doing things differently, she's going to focus on being the hero of [insert name of location here] for a while...

An we end with a close up of the canvas she was working on at the start, with a whole punched in it & some glib commentary about how being an artist is not part of who the new Carol Danvers is.

I'll be the first to admit its not pure literary genius, but its still better than what we ended up with.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

User avatar
The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind
Posts: 2300
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:38 pm

Re: Captain Marvel#1.......Again???

Postby The_Watchman » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:54 am

saint_matthew wrote:Unfortunately the creators also did that thing that people writing about minorities sometimes do... They spent so long focusing on the character being a minority, they forgot to also make them a character.


Exactly this. We as people are informed by our experiences and our cultural roles but are not defined entirely by them. The rebirth of Luke Cage starting with Alias and New Avengers is a good example of how to (in my opinion) build a character strongly tied to his cultural identities but not defined by them. Luke is an African-American man from a poorer background who has been on the wrong side of the criminal justice system (wrongfully) and good stories never forget that. But he's also a father, a hero, and a leader.

I also think there's benefit to characters like Monica Rambeau for whom ethnicity has not been a prominent factor in her characterization (even Nextwave seemed to be indicating that her disrespect from the Avengers was for being a woman not for being African-American, though that's a whole other kettle of fish). She was an African-American law enforcement officer in New Orleans. Speaking as someone that lives in the city, there's nothing particularly notable about her background (though it is funny to imagine her talking with a New Orleans accent) in terms of ethnicity. It's not a defining characteristic for her. She's a super-powered former cop and Avenger who happens to be an African-American woman.
"This is all your fault! You shouldn't have taken that cat! You don't teleport into strange metal places and steal pets!"
Builds

User avatar
saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord
Posts: 4381
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:31 pm
Location: Perth, AUSTRALIA

Re: Captain Marvel#1.......Again???

Postby saint_matthew » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:58 am

The_Watchman wrote:Exactly this. We as people are informed by our experiences and our cultural roles but are not defined entirely by them.


Its not just that, i honestly think that some times genre writers (even comic book writers) get embarassed that they are writing genre fiction over litaerature & they try to do this bait & switch... The kind of Bait & Switch that would introduce Superman as a single adopted child, with a poor upbringing, the ultimate immigrant living the american dream & then forget to mention that whole wearing a cape, fighting evil with amazing powers thing... Because thats not topical, or meaningful.

The_Watchman wrote:The rebirth of Luke Cage starting with Alias and New Avengers is a good example of how to (in my opinion) build a character strongly tied to his cultural identities but not defined by them. Luke is an African-American man from a poorer background who has been on the wrong side of the criminal justice system (wrongfully) and good stories never forget that. But he's also a father, a hero, and a leader.


Or Icon or Static Shock.... Not so much so Hardware (mores the pity).

The_Watchman wrote:I also think there's benefit to characters like Monica Rambeau for whom ethnicity has not been a prominent factor in her characterization (even Nextwave seemed to be indicating that her disrespect from the Avengers was for being a woman not for being African-American, though that's a whole other kettle of fish).


I agree that the less said about Nextwave the better... I know it was meant to be some kind of cool Generation X, post modern super hero book, but it just came off as trying to hard to be "mature" or "edgy" when i tried reading it. It kinda felt like the equiviliant of some dude watching porn, then telling me that nah he's not watching it for the sex, but because of the deep philosophical storytelling & compelling characterisation.

The_Watchman wrote:She was an African-American law enforcement officer in New Orleans. Speaking as someone that lives in the city, there's nothing particularly notable about her background (though it is funny to imagine her talking with a New Orleans accent) in terms of ethnicity. It's not a defining characteristic for her. She's a super-powered former cop and Avenger who happens to be an African-American woman.


An i loved light based characters so much that for my African Superhero team build i ended up combining her powers with those of The Ray & made a superheroine called Spectrum... The insider joke about me calling my character Spectrum being the amount of times Monica has had her super-hero moniker stolen, as it were.

Though to be fair Spectrum is French-African since she's orginally from Morocco, from the city of Casablanca.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov


Return to “Sidekicks Lounge”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests