Supernatural CW TV show [SPOILERS]

Discuss anything vaguely M&M related here, such as comics, movies, and action figures.
Setothes
Overlord
Overlord

Re: Supernatural CW TV show [SPOILERS]

Postby Setothes » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:07 am

greycrusader wrote: previously even powerful witches (the ones who summoned Samhain, the gambler who played for people's years instead of money) still were mostly dependent on hexes invovling fetish items (coins, hex bags, cards), rituals, and the occasional spoken spell. They weren't the "slay with a gesture/summon stinging insects/throw lightning bolts" variety.

Yeah, that's definitely a beef of mine, 'witches' abandoning ritual spellcasting and turning into superheros who could fling people and energy around with an impatient wave of their hand.

If witches in Supernatural *always* did that sort of thing, like demons with their 'pin people to the wall while I monologue' trick, that would be fine, but witches in this show typically have to do the ritual magic thing, which might take hours to set up, and require special components and prepared locations and invocations in different languages. When that sort of thing is shown in the same episode, it's even more egregious when the two witches later reveal that they can just telekinetically throw people around and even kill them, without bothering to cast spells or gather components or speak Latin badly. How does the magic know that this particular impatient wave of the hand is the 'summon bees' spell and not the 'choke a fool' spell?

The cluehammers about Dean keeping this secret are getting pretty anvilicious. Last episode also dealt with it, and having two episodes in a row hammer that same theme is perhaps a bit excessive. The effects on Dean also seem fairly odd, with Sam observing that somethings eating at him and the heavy drinking, etc. It's not like Sam and Dean haven't lied to each other off and on for their entire lives, why would this particular lie be suddenly making Dean go all mental?

It's a weird sort of role-reversal. Sam's always been the one who wracked himself with guilt (and, on occasion, had good reason to do so), and Dean's been the one who shrugged it off and had another beer. Now Sam seems to have grown out of it, just in time for Dean to have a mid-life crisis...

greycrusader
Superhero
Superhero

Postby greycrusader » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:40 pm

Yes, and Dean never showed any remorse for murdering the Phoenix creature from season six; granted, the hunters needed Phoenix ash to defeate Eve the Mother of All Monsters (a horrendous threat to the whole world), but the Phoenix had lived in peace with humans for years, only going after a few people for justifiable vengeance after they raped and murdered his human wife, tried to execute him, and then covered up their crimes.
The Contingent: When all other super teams fail...

Goldar
Disciple
Disciple

Postby Goldar » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:02 pm

Wow--more evidence of "Phoenix Hate", even against a creature that has nothing to do with the Marvel Comics character! This is sad... :(

tomorrow
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby tomorrow » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:06 pm

I forgive the Witch-fu somewhat. I mean, it wasn't normal witch fare at all. Two 800+ year old witches (which means they were both powerful enough to figure out how to circumvent mortality a long time ago) who have been living together for centuries and presumably mastering their craft together. Assuming they both figured out immortality before hooking up, they were both presumably very powerful to start with (this doesn't seem to be like cases where the witch picks up a normal spouse who learns a few tricks, they both seemed to be very powerful witches). Marrying and learning from each other would reasonably make them even scarier. The difference between those two and other witches we've seen so far could be said to be as great as the difference between your typical angel and one of the big boys. It's possible.

That said, there is also the fact that these two powerful witches were going all war of the roses on each other. Its possible that their hand-wavy magic effects were prepared for knocking around each other and then just used on the brothers (and later the Leviathan) opportunistically. I mean, we don't know how long the two of them could have kept up the flashy stuff. The very fact that they still employed the less-flashy stuff seems to imply that there is some limit to their power.

However, I'm really vexed as to why the brothers are spending so little time figuring out how to handle the Leviathan. I mean, the creatures are mean but they aren't perfect. They apparently have feeding requirement (they seem to literally need to feed on humans), they can be stopped/not killed via massive damage, they are susceptible to magic (though I doubt any binding spells for them exist anywhere)... and most importantly they apparently do have some other fatal flaw that would cause them to admit that the Winchester's competency warrants their eradication. If there wasn't some plausible way for them to be killed/banished/otherwise stopped out there, the competency of a pair of hunters wouldn't matter.

greycrusader
Superhero
Superhero

Postby greycrusader » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:00 pm

The only "point and kill" creatures on the show so far have been the Archangels and Lucifer (who could just wish humans to have stage iv cancer or missing organs); the Irish witch who gambled for years/time came a bit close, but only showed a telekinetic-type strangling power when Sam and Dean were in his apartment handling his cards, or later when Sam was sitting at his occult poker table.

I just think this was a bit like dropping a Dracula or Strahd class vampire into the show, one far more powerful than even an alpha vampire-it just too far outclasses the mortal hunters , unless it would be part of a bigger overarching storyline that justifies it's presence.

The character derailment remains no matter what-granted the brothers have their hands full, but they should have been driving off while brainstorming about how to come back and get rid of the witches. Even the Marsters character (man, that guy needs to be in another series soon!) was basically amoral, if not evil-he casually killed a woman, decapitating her (even if, as implied, she stirred up the trouble between him and his wife).
The Contingent: When all other super teams fail...

Kit
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Postby Kit » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:04 am

How was tonight's ep?
You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
And now and then stab, as occasion serves.

--Christopher Marlowe, Edward II, Act II, Scene I

luketheduke86
Hero
Hero

Postby luketheduke86 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:44 am

Kit wrote:How was tonight's ep?

Good, not great.

I'm still not really feeling this season as a whole (the leviathans have fallen a bit flat villain wise) but there have a been a couple good episodes. Last weeks episode for example was quite good.
A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day.

Kit
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Postby Kit » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:56 pm

How was the Vegas ep?

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arthur Eld » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:14 am

It was ok. Had some nice smug Crowley action, although he seemed to be extra channeling his role from Firefly this ep. Not necessarily a bad thing, but still. And DJ Qualls, so that's...something.

Kit
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Postby Kit » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:46 am

I guess there was very little Vegas in it. Sad.

This Friday's episode is by Ben Edlund at least.

Sidious
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Sidious » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:34 am

Arthur Eld wrote:It was ok. Had some nice smug Crowley action, although he seemed to be extra channeling his role from Firefly this ep. Not necessarily a bad thing, but still. And DJ Qualls, so that's...something.

Don't forget that Emily Perkins (Ginger Snaps Trilogy) returned.
Live fast. Love hard. Die with your mask on.

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arthur Eld » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:53 am

I was actually trying to. Her whole plotline with Sam was just super obvious from the beginning.

Sidious
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Sidious » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:30 pm

i think this was meant as the "funny episode" for the season.

It did not deliver.
Live fast. Love hard. Die with your mask on.

Jameson
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Jameson » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:23 pm

I was hoping early on that she had CHuck's typewriter and that's how she was controlling Sam (by writing a bad fan-fic). Sadly my idea was better.
Forty six and two are just ahead of me.

Read my M&M product reviews here

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arthur Eld » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:12 pm

Well, that wouldn't make any sense. The power isn't in the typewriter, its in Chuck. Be he prophet or whatever, making it a word processor of the Gods-well, that's just something out of really old Stephen King.

Return to “Sidekicks Lounge”