Supernatural CW TV show [SPOILERS]

Discuss anything vaguely M&M related here, such as comics, movies, and action figures.
Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Supernatural CW TV show [SPOILERS]

Postby Arthur Eld » Fri May 20, 2011 7:21 pm

Oh yeah. The new antag has more weight than any villain in the series since Lucifer. At least.

luketheduke86
Hero
Hero

Postby luketheduke86 » Fri May 20, 2011 7:25 pm

Wow...just...wow... Next season is definitely going to be interesting.
A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day.

Jameson
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Jameson » Sat May 21, 2011 6:17 am

How long do we wait before we can properly discuss this thing without spoiler text or dancing around what we really want to say?

SO the real question for next season seems to be; How do you take down god?
On the one hand I kinda hope that Sam and Dean go after the real God and bring him back to deal with his wayward kiddos. On the hand, I'm not sure how they would do that and make God impressive enough.
Forty six and two are just ahead of me.

Read my M&M product reviews here

Kit
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Postby Kit » Sun May 29, 2011 1:43 am

the anime series is now available to order

I've seen a few eps. Its...interesting. I do love the end credits if for nothing other than a Japanese cover band singing "Carry On My Waywards Sons."
You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
And now and then stab, as occasion serves.

--Christopher Marlowe, Edward II, Act II, Scene I

Kit
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Postby Kit » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:47 am

anyone watch the anime version?
You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,

And now and then stab, as occasion serves.

--Christopher Marlowe, Edward II, Act II, Scene I

Jameson
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Jameson » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:47 am

Season premier is tomorrow. Anybody else excited?

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arthur Eld » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:47 am

I'm really excited.

But I'm also bothered by the fact that its on at the same time as Fringe, which I've recently gotten into. Thank god for Hulu.

Jameson
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Jameson » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:01 am

And DVRs...

I hope that dealing with Cas proves to be a bigger undertaking than some of the recent sneak peeks have seemed to be. I read an interview that made reference to new big bads, plural, and it didn't sound like Cas was included in that ....

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arthur Eld » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:01 pm

I think they'll have Cas as more of an anti-villain than an out-and-out big bad. The possibility of him coming back down to normal (both power-wise and mental-state) seems pretty high here. But I doubt they'll get to that right away.

It will be interesting to see how the brothers function without Castiel. I mean in seasons six and seven especially they often relied on him to save their lives. But he was one of the better executed Deus ex Machina characters I've seen done.

Jameson
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Jameson » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:45 pm

That's probably easier since it's believable for an angel to behave in the way that a deus ex machina character would ... they are, after all, dues ex themselves.

PMikey
Champion
Champion

Postby PMikey » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:05 pm

I really enjoyed the Season Premiere.

Death is rapidly becoming one of my favorite characters.

I like how there are things still out there that are even scarier than a God-Like Castiel.

Very much looking forward to the rest of the season. :mrgreen:
This creature is not Evil.
Stupid...perhaps VERY stupid...but not Evil.

http://midnightslair.com/forum/

luketheduke86
Hero
Hero

Postby luketheduke86 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:02 pm

Man I do not know how I feel about this season so far. I like that Sam is acting more like his old self but Dean's attitude is really starting to piss me off! I especially don't like how contradictory Dean acted this episode compared to the one before last... Supernatural creature killing bad people to save her son is a death sentence but two witches kill people over a lovers spat and he just lets them go? Wtf?!
A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day.

Setothes
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Setothes » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:21 pm

luketheduke86 wrote: Supernatural creature killing bad people to save her son is a death sentence but two witches kill people over a lovers spat and he just lets them go? Wtf?!

This episode was flat-out terrible, IMO. Witches, in the Supernatural-verse, don't have this sort of 'waggle your fingers' Ex Machina powers. Indeed, the episode itself constradicted itself, with the witch placing hexes on people, when she, at the end of the episode, displays the power to just point at people and choke them. Why is she casting hexes on people and hiding coins and stuff when she's Jean Grey and doesn't need any of that stuff?

And the 800 years old crap was over the top as well. This felt more like an episode of Buffy than of Supernatural (and not just because of the actors they chose). The 'lore' was completely wrong for the series, and felt like a couple of Green Lanterns just floated into my gritty urban street-defender Batman story.

Dr Archeville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Dr Archeville » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:13 pm

Setothes wrote:This episode was flat-out terrible, IMO. Witches, in the Supernatural-verse, don't have this sort of 'waggle your fingers' Ex Machina powers. Indeed, the episode itself constradicted itself, with the witch placing hexes on people, when she, at the end of the episode, displays the power to just point at people and choke them. Why is she casting hexes on people and hiding coins and stuff when she's Jean Grey and doesn't need any of that stuff?.

Subtlety? Alibi? ("How could I have killed her? I was at home, all my neighbors saw me come 15 minutes before she died.") The coins add the Indirect & Variable Descriptor power feats to her Blasts?
Come join us at http://www.freedomplaybypost.com/index.php ! (current status: site and chat stable, Wiki pending)

greycrusader
Superhero
Superhero

Postby greycrusader » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:03 am

Setothes wrote:
luketheduke86 wrote: Supernatural creature killing bad people to save her son is a death sentence but two witches kill people over a lovers spat and he just lets them go? Wtf?!

This episode was flat-out terrible, IMO. Witches, in the Supernatural-verse, don't have this sort of 'waggle your fingers' Ex Machina powers. Indeed, the episode itself constradicted itself, with the witch placing hexes on people, when she, at the end of the episode, displays the power to just point at people and choke them. Why is she casting hexes on people and hiding coins and stuff when she's Jean Grey and doesn't need any of that stuff?

And the 800 years old crap was over the top as well. This felt more like an episode of Buffy than of Supernatural (and not just because of the actors they chose). The 'lore' was completely wrong for the series, and felt like a couple of Green Lanterns just floated into my gritty urban street-defender Batman story.

I agree this episode was just plain bad, both in terms of Sam and Dean's characterizations and the lore established in the series. Yes, I can understand the witches killing from a distance through hexes/curses rather than physically entering a victim's home, but previously even powerful witches (the ones who summoned Samhain, the gambler who played for people's years instead of money) still were mostly dependent on hexes invovling fetish items (coins, hex bags, cards), rituals, and the occasional spoken spell. They weren't the "slay with a gesture/summon stinging insects/throw lightning bolts" variety.

Admittedly, the Irish gambler who used witchcraft took steps in this direction-he basically gets off scotfree at the end of the episode, though his girlfriend reverts to old age and leaves him. Very old or experienced witches have been difficult for the hunters to deal with-they have been shown to be well prepared with defensive charms, contingency spells that protect their lairs, and so on.

(The Risen Dead have likewise been tough for Sam and Dean to deal with-some are simple zombies who can be dispatched with shots to the head/brain, others have to staked with a silver spike in their former graves, some have to be dispatched by fire or re-burial, etc. Hunters are best against monsters who have clearly defined weaknesses and lore).

But for Sam and Dean to just drop the matter and leave this two to continue their exploits was character derailment-they murdered four people and viciously assaulted another during their "spat". The boys have often retreated when necessary, but never just given up on a case. Remember, in the course of the series, they've faced off against the most powerful arch-demons, fallen gods/demigods, rogue archangels, and even Satan. The brothers most effective trait against the supernatural has always been they simply do not quit, even when way outmatched. They've backed off and even fled fights at times, but only to rearm and come back with lethal force.

I honestly don't find the Leviathans very much in the category of Big Bads so far-as Bobby said, so far they seem to be powered-up shapeshifters, except with a mouthful of lamprey teeth and hypercarnivorous appetites. Maybe I'm disappointed because they obviously have no resemblece with the "Great Beasts" of the bible (admittedly they could not, unless the guys could somehow summon the friendly versions of Godzilla and Mothra to deal with them). I almost wish the Dark Fey/Faeries from season six could have emerged as the primary enemies. Explain the near-apocalypse weakened the walls of reality, allowing beings from the Fey World once more into the earthly realm. I found the dialogue of the Leprechaun from the ep "Clap your hands if you believe" pretty chilling-he didn't respect the "human Devil" and scoffed at angels, saying he would show Sam "some real magic"; in authenic folklore (not the scrubbed Disney stuff) creatures from the faerie realm were dangerous, even those who seemed friendly or harmless-they didn't understand human behavior or basic reality and ascribed to Blue and Orange morality.

All my best.
The Contingent: When all other super teams fail...

Return to “Sidekicks Lounge”