Supernatural CW TV show [SPOILERS]

Discuss anything vaguely M&M related here, such as comics, movies, and action figures.
GrayPumpkin
Superhero
Superhero

Re: Supernatural CW TV show [SPOILERS]

Postby GrayPumpkin » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:01 pm

Kit wrote:I remain convinced that this series actually ended with the conclusion of the Lucifer plotline in season 5. :(

I agree, after Kripe left, the show lost its focus and vision. Not to say that there hasn't been good episodes here and there, but its mostly down to the humorous self standing ones.

Kit
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Postby Kit » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:33 pm

GrayPumpkin wrote:
Kit wrote:I remain convinced that this series actually ended with the conclusion of the Lucifer plotline in season 5. :(

I agree, after Kripe left, the show lost its focus and vision. Not to say that there hasn't been good episodes here and there, but its mostly down to the humorous self standing ones.

I want a list of those to watch :)
You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
And now and then stab, as occasion serves.

--Christopher Marlowe, Edward II, Act II, Scene I

Kit
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Postby Kit » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:54 pm

okay, the LARP episode was both funny and offensive
You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,

And now and then stab, as occasion serves.

--Christopher Marlowe, Edward II, Act II, Scene I

tomorrow
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby tomorrow » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:53 am

The last episode makes me wonder how much of the scam with Crowley's bones was a scam. Was his supposed son's ghost and him being from 1661 part of the scam too? I mean, if Crowley had a thing with Naomi in Mesopotamia during the dark ages, that would seem to kibosh the prior story entirely.

Sidious
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Sidious » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:10 am

There's a new Felicia Day episode coming up based on her Twitter.
Live fast. Love hard. Die with your mask on.

tomorrow
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby tomorrow » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:18 pm

Well, she's female and I sort of like her character, so she's basically walking fish food... since she was only intro'd last season, maybe she'll make it through this next episode. But honestly, we all know she's a quirky dead girl walking.

tomorrow
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby tomorrow » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:10 pm

Well, now that it has been a decent amount of time since the finale. These are my thoughts on the season. Be warned, spoilers ahead (well sort of...)... if you haven't been watching the show.

The episodes this season were generally pretty good, but honestly the "season" continued the trend of the last few since season five, just sort of floundering about with nothing really happening or progressing really. The sealing hell plot line was a little too obvious. I mean, even trying my best hold down the veil, there was just no way they were actually going to close hell unless it was the final season. Demons are the consistent (if not always primary) villain of the show, from episode one forward. The Abandon plot-line is a bit nonsensical and pointless... they effectively replaced Meg (snarky female demon opposing Crowley)... with more power but less personality (never a good trade-off). Abadon's motivations are all over the place too having gone to great lengths to get the key to men of letters bunker and then suddenly not giving two spits about it... eh. Metatron's story arch was just sort of weird, as was Naomi's. I'm not even sure what exactly Metatron feels he's accomplished with his spell. I mean, the Angels didn't particularly seem keen on chilling in heaven anyway... unless the show adds some ad hoc mythos about angels needing heaven, if anything Metatron has helped the angels by giving them more of an excuse to meddle with humanity (which seems to be their primary past time). Taking away Cas's grace is just a return to powerless Cas, which we've already seen... and Cas's special-ness has always been about God (or presumably God) stepping in for him and/or resurrecting him, not his angel-hood. Oh wow, I can't believe I almost forgot Sam's girlfriend and Benny... which says it all right there... very forgettable and seemingly tangent to the plot, even though they had sizeable chunks of the season directed at them.

I could go on and on, but honestly the problem I have with this season (and sort of the last few) is that the plot lacks cohesiveness and the writers (I fell so dirty saying this about Supernatural) are just sort of playing it safe and treading water. Everything they did this season had basically been done already and they really didn't shake things up or definitively move anything forward. Even the climatic "angels falling" twist (which anyone could see coming since the beginning of the season) basically felt like a repeat of the end of season 2 (demons released all over Earth // angels released all over Earth).

Don't get me wrong the episodes themselves are still enjoyable in a monster-of-the-week sort of way, but I miss the... epicness... the show used to have. I remember when the words "The Road So Far..." flashed on the screen, being thoroughly impressed with the chaotic but yet still cohesive and escalating tale being recapped to Carry On Wayward Son. But more and more, the show gets to that and its like just nonsensical, random, and pointless.

Still love the show, but those are nonetheless my thoughts after this season.

luketheduke86
Hero
Hero

Postby luketheduke86 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:53 pm

I concur with just about everything you said Tomorrow. I hated, HATED all of the flashbacks with Sam's girlfriend. Not only because the 'romance' wasn't written very well (at all!), but also because everything Sam did seemed completely out of character for him. Not putting any effort in trying to find out what happened to Dean? Dean was sent to hell before and Sam admitted that he tried everything he could (including working on gaining demonic powers) to try and free him. or abandoning Kevin to fend on his own. Honestly, I was kind of hoping that it would turn out that she was some sort of siren that had him under her spell...

As a whole I liked the season finale and think the angel's will be thrown for a loop being on earth. The main reason the angel's ever really seemed to care about what happened on earth was to help themselves secure control over Heaven.

Also, I found Crowley hilarious around the end of the finale. :lol:
A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day.

tomorrow
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby tomorrow » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:04 pm

This season has been "okay" again, but I'm feeling a lot of the same problems as last year. Really liked the Cain episode though... and a twisted take the Cain/Abel story to boot.

However, I find it SO weird that they are doing a spin-off NOW (Supernatural: Tribes supposedly being back-doored in epi. 20 of this season). I mean, one of the major drags on the show is that the Winchesters have literally decimated the supernatural world in their own run. I'm guessing Tribes will have to be monster-centric or something because at this point heaven/hell are both wrecked and most of the pagan big-wigs have been offed.

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:22 pm

tomorrow wrote:This season has been "okay" again,

Wait a second, are you trying to tell me this show is still going? Are you sure? I could have sworn I heard it had been cancelled.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

tomorrow
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby tomorrow » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:51 pm

I suspect they are going to end things next season, after tieing/beating Smallville for longest running/most episodes for an American sci-fi series. Pretty sure Smallville currently has that record (followed by Stargate and X-Files... I think).

The spin-off sort of reinforces this in my mind too.

tomorrow
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby tomorrow » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:10 pm

Season 10 confirmed... but then, if they are really seeding a spin-off later this season than that was really a given. Of course, Supernatural is actually performing pretty well in CW-terms so maybe it will just keep running until that changes or the actors finally choose to walk away. I'd still bet on next season being it, but I suppose beyond is still possible... maybe Supernatural will end up the Gunsmoke of American sci-fi shows.

tomorrow
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby tomorrow » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:14 am

Okay, I call b.s. on last nights episode. It's really difficult to call b.s. on sci-fi stuff, because well... you know. But this isn't about the fantastic stuff, its about the practical stuff.

Towards the end of the episode, the mother vampire acknowledges that her family has come across not just hunters, but Winchesters specifically. That's believable, monsters actually differentiating between the brothers and other hunters at this point. Okay, sure.

What isn't believable is that with that knowledge said vampire momma does either immediately kill them both or run screaming. I mean, I get the whole Bond-villain trope of strapping down the heroes and slowly killing them while getting all chatty... but come on.

Return to “Sidekicks Lounge”