Public Domain Super-Heroes re-imaged thread

Discuss anything vaguely M&M related here, such as comics, movies, and action figures.
American_Patriot
Zealot
Zealot

Public Domain Super-Heroes re-imaged thread

Postby American_Patriot » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:08 pm

Hi everyone,

In the real world, I've been in the process of moving... it's a real pain in the butt when you're disabled, having to rely upon others to help you. Especially with the really heavy stuff, but if you're like me... being disabled is something you're always trying to overcome by doing the kinds of things that you did before you got messed up. For me, that's still trying to keep picking up the heavy stuff and move it. Especially when it's just a little way to be moved and straightened up and organized. But it's that kind of thinking is something that leaves you getting hurt. And when you're hurting, you need something to do that's not going to make things worse.

So here I am, sitting in my hospital bed (trust me, hospital beds aren't all that bad... the adjustments to raise the head and foot allows you to get comfortable easily) with my laptop surfing one of my favorite wikis (seriously, i have about seven that I love just spending time reading the various articles)... and that's Public Domain Super-Heroes.

It's so interesting to read about these characters, their backgrounds and the kinds of stories they were used to tell! And considering that some of these characters have inspired characters that are now being re-imaged for some newly created series (like Project Super-Powers) has me taking a good look at them and thinking about doing the same just for fun.

So I had an idea, to create a thread here... so we could possibly discuss some of these pioneers that created the genre we all love and enjoy so much, and hopefully everyone who has taken the time to just bask in the golden age characters and stories will stop by this thread and add to the discussion. And maybe we can explore this era together. Sharing our knowledge with each other in a way that everyone who takes part are both teachers and students.

For instance, one of my favorite characters that I've been working at creating a new re-imagined look and background has been the Woman-in-Red (Peggy Allen), the first costumed super-hero, whom in her secret identity was one of the first police women in an age that left them as glorified secretaries and assistants. That creating a costumed identity to allow her to do her part fighting crime!

When I make my next post on here... it will be of this re-imagined Woman-in-Red article that I've been working on! Followed by each of the re-imagined characters that I've been working on, hoping to get some good feed back and advice so I can make some good improvements of my work. And that others whom take part in our discussion could benefit as well!

Here's looking forward to a very lively discussion!

Public Domain Super-Heroes
http://pdsh.wikia.com/wiki/Public_Domain_Super_Heroes

I do have a few questions that I've been wondering about for a while...

Namely, the character of golden age public domain version of the Blue Beetle (Dan Garret)... and on creating a new character that is based on the original concept.

http://pdsh.wikia.com/wiki/Blue_Beetle_%28Hero%29

Now, I loved the Batman-like character he was at his start... and I have been really thinking of the new re-imagined character being more of a Batman/Green Hornet-like costumed detective character. Now the Dan Garret version of Blue Beetle is still in the public domain, but I don't know if the Blue Beetle codename is as well. So, I guess I'm asking if anyone knows if it is... or if I have to come up with a new costumed Identity for said re-imagined character!
American Patriot (MSG Nathaniel Hale Spaight, US Army - Ret.), American Meta-Human Super-Soldier (PL10/150pp.)
"Sometimes... success is measured just one little victory at a time."

kingk
Cohort
Cohort

Re: Public Domain Super-Heroes re-imaged thread

Postby kingk » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:32 pm

I'm glad to see a thread like this. I too have a tendency to surf PDSHWiki and try and reimagine heroes. I don't have anything written up, but maybe now I will.

As for your question, I think the "Blue Beetle" codename is not in the public domain. I don't know if you're familiar with Project Superpowers, but it was a series by Dynamite Comics that utilized a number of public domain superheroes. They featured a lot, and for every one that got used, they had drawings in the back of two or three more. A take on the Blue Beetle was there, but called "Big Blue" instead. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Su ... r_sketches

King Snarf
Paragon
Paragon

Postby King Snarf » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:10 pm

Essentially, you can call him Blue Beetle in your story all you like and not get in trouble but, as the name "Blue Beetle" is trademarked to DC, you can't actually put "Blue Beetle" anywhere on the title.
Arriba Flight es muy macho!

Visit my blog! http://teentemplars.blogspot.com

Visit my author page!

Thakowsaizmu
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Thakowsaizmu » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:43 pm

I was pitching an idea to do a universe like this some time ago. Alas, it never caught on :(
♀♥♀
百年如石、一點如漆

Sidious
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Sidious » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:53 pm

why don't you guys do a Settings thread and Link a Roll Call thread to it? it could be a great group project.
Live fast. Love hard. Die with your mask on.

Thakowsaizmu
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Thakowsaizmu » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:32 pm

I have wanted to reimagine the Green Lama for a while now...
♀♥♀
百年如石、一點如漆

kingk
Cohort
Cohort

Postby kingk » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:34 pm

I'd be all for that. An opportunity to use my idea of Amazing-Man as a paragon manufactured by a secret council of seven to be (one of) the world's first superheroes. Each of the seven members had a different role or position of power they used to aid Amazing-Man's development, and each had a different goal they wanted to use him for. One was the scientist who created him to prove he could, another was the businessman who owns his likeness to make billions of dollars, another is the intelligence operative who concealed the project and wants to use Amazing-Man as an instrument of his nation's political will, etc.

King Snarf
Paragon
Paragon

Postby King Snarf » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:16 am

Thakowsaizmu wrote:I have wanted to reimagine the Green Lama for a while now...

Actually, I think GL is one of the few characters on pdsh that isn't technically in the public domain (though the original comic stories are).
Arriba Flight es muy macho!

Visit my blog! http://teentemplars.blogspot.com

Visit my author page!

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:40 am

Fun fact: The Green Lama actually started out as the Grey Lama... It was changed to the Green Lama based on some cover art mock-ups they produced prior to production. Which i didn't know until i was doing some research on the topic of old Pulp Fiction, for a photo-shoot idea i had, for duplicating the feel of the old pulp fiction covers.

The idea for the photoshoot being people dressed in Pulp Fiction era clothing, in pulp fiction cover poses, in pulp fiction cover settings, with all the standard cover cliches: Over the top titles, hyperbolic story names, the publishing company house name right under the title & the big price tag symbol of 10 cents.

Alas i then recalled that i am an unemployed student, with a massive work-load & no money to pursue new projects, let alone the lighting equipment & extra lenses i would need to do the job justice... So i wrote it up in my "photo concepts" journal (for future usage) & look forward to the day i can be a sleezy, well paid, yes man who hates his job, but loves that it affords him the money to pursue such a project. :roll:
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

Thakowsaizmu
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Thakowsaizmu » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:11 am

King Snarf wrote:

Actually, I think GL is one of the few characters on pdsh that isn't technically in the public domain (though the original comic stories are).

Bah! Damnit you're right. Fine then, Captain Wonder.
♀♥♀
百年如石、一點如漆

kingk
Cohort
Cohort

Postby kingk » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:59 am

I think a certain version of Green Lama is in the public domain, either the original prose version, or the comic book version, while the other is not. That Project Superpowers series I mentioned earlier utilized the Green Lama as a major character, seemingly without trouble.

Mr Mole
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Mr Mole » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:22 pm

Wikipedia:
The Green Lama character and Double Detective stories are not in the public domain (although the original comics are), as the author "wisely retained all rights to his creation."

References:
Will Murray, "Introduction," The Green Lama, vol. 1 (Altus Press, 2011), p. xvii (unpaginated); the copyright is now owned by Kendra Crossen, literary executor of the Kendell Foster Crossen estate, and assigned to Argosy Communications, Inc., which was authorized to control the Green Lama trademark and to license old and new Green Lama stories by a 1975 contract between Kendell Foster Crossen and Joel J. Frieman, president of Argosy Communications.

What does that actually mean in terms of real world application? I have no idea... :roll:

American_Patriot
Zealot
Zealot

Postby American_Patriot » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:21 pm

I would love to create a couple of interconnected threads so that all of us can get in on the re-imagined PDSH characters for the 21st Century... I just don't know how to do the links form one thread to specific posts. So Coming up with the idea is about as good as i can! :)

I'm in the process of doing some artwork for one of the other members of the Atomic Think-Tank that is similar to this idea... drawing up some pictures of some of the Golden Age bad guys for him! but considering we're still in the process of moving, i've only had time for quick idea sketches here and there to get a good idea of how I will draw the characters. :(

There are some really good concepts for characters that are now in the public domain, and they would fit in the here and now, just as well as they did in the there and when of the pre-War and war years! Both are times of conflict (be it terrorism or organized criminal networks), and unfortunately the sharp contrasts between the haves and have-nots has started to become extremely evident in not just the United States, but Europe... but many, many other regions/nations (Africa, the Indian Subcontinent, the Near East and Far East).

Anyone who knows how to, and wants to... make the threads and set-up the internal links. Because I really, really want to do this. And getting others constructive criticism input helps in creating characters that everyone can enjoy.
American Patriot (MSG Nathaniel Hale Spaight, US Army - Ret.), American Meta-Human Super-Soldier (PL10/150pp.)

Thakowsaizmu
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Thakowsaizmu » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:31 pm

I know how to link threads and such. We would probably put it in the Settings section, though, huh?
♀♥♀
百年如石、一點如漆

American_Patriot
Zealot
Zealot

Postby American_Patriot » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:25 pm

Thakowsaizmu wrote:I know how to link threads and such. We would probably put it in the Settings section, though, huh?

Thank you so much!

I think that would be the best bet to put the thread in the settings section... but it could possible it in a roll call boards.... :)

Return to “Sidekicks Lounge”