Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

[Green] Arrow TV Series

Discuss anything vaguely M&M related here, such as comics, movies, and action figures.

Re: [Green] Arrow TV Series

Postby RuleofThree » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:48 pm

Thats my guess too... Tommy Merlyn inevitable reveal!

Ditto what everyone's been saying. The voiceover IS pretty wince-worthy, but so far every episode has gotten and held my attention. Deadshot's eyepiece was kind... dorky, but I hope he'll return with his more usual facemask (possibly a cybernetic eye as a result of this episode)

Is this canon Green Arrow? Of course not. Is it a fun reinterpretation of the comics that brings in new audience that aren't comic historians? Sure. Its not perfect and might be considered Nolan-verse Batman Lite, but thats fine by me.

And what happened on that island is definitely the big question, as is Moira (Ollie's mom's) role in all this. And while the love triangle between Dinah, Ollie, and Merlyn would normally make me roll my eyes, I actually can't wait for them to have their falling out - and THEN Dinah and Merlyn become their more familiar DC counterparts.
RuleofThree
Hireling
Hireling

Postby Jameson » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:05 pm

Pretty sure Deadshot was only going to show up in the morgue after this episode. The eye piece flabbergasted me, it looked like something out of the 70s or 80s not the twenty-teens ... why the hell was it so HUGE?
Forty six and two are just ahead of me.

Read my M&M product reviews here
Jameson
Luminary
Luminary

Postby HappyDaze » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:56 am

I'm enjoying the show so far based on what I've seen on the screen. I'm not much of a fan of the Green Arrow comics - I don't actively dislike them, I just don't really like them either (yeah, a moderate opinion around here...) - so the show diverging from them doesn't bother me a bit. I think that the show is doing a great job pulling in DC elements (likewise adapted for TV).
HappyDaze
Luminary
Luminary

Postby saint_matthew » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:51 am

Jameson wrote:Pretty sure Deadshot was only going to show up in the morgue after this episode.

Silly rabbit, Deadshots not dead... Whats the first rule of comic book deaths? No one talks about comic deaths... :lol:

The second rule is that no one is dead, until you see a body & even then there is a 90% chance that that person isn't really dead... The obvious exception to this rule is every person who is not a hero or villain... Not only are they likely to be dead, they are likely to have been dead all along.

Good to see that this episode of Arrow actually got down to do its job. Only 1 guy shot & it was Deadshot (who as i just explained, isn't dead). They also had Ollie take some nice steps towards not be a complete tool. Sure the voice over is still completely terrible & the supporting cast are completely unlikeable... But it'll do until we get a real super hero live action TV show.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov
saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby drkrash » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:20 pm

I thought tonight's episode was great. If I didn't know who Laurel is/will become, I would have thought her open-mindedness to Arrow would have been forced. But I accepted it.

I'm curious how they're going to use Diggle.

I also wonder if there is supposed to be something about making Thea young and troubled and with the nickname of Speedy. Thea is obviously very close to Mia.

And, uh, Deathstroke.
drkrash
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Arthur Eld » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:10 am

I hope they can do Deathstroke justice. I'm not exactly a huge fan of his in the comics, but he can be an effective villain if used right.

I liked the most recent episode, especially because Thea and Oliver had a positive interaction for once.

I think its still too early to say what might happen with Thea, or even Laurel for that matter. Still, the show is definitely going to have a full first season and hopefully a second one at that, so we'll just have to wait and see.
Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby drkrash » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:35 am

We know Laurel becomes Black Canary because the showrunners have officially said she will. (the quote was, "Not as soon as you'd like, but sooner than you think.")

I think DS is a potentially interesting character. I think "Deathstroke the Terminator" is a lame name borne of the age when the character was introduced (I assume).

Oh, and I liked the Bludhaven reference too! The producers said we'd never see Batman, but maybe Nightwing in a later season. He would fit the "no powers" motif of the show.
drkrash
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Arthur Eld » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:05 am

Oh, I hadn't heard that about Laurel/Black Canary. That's great.

Well, Deathstroke was originally called The Terminator, and then Deathstroke the Terminator, and then just Deathstroke. As far as comic names go, they're all fairly cool.

Terminator is as cool a name as Deathstroke, but they probably stopped using it in the comics because of the movies-even though Wilson had the name before the movies.
Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby RuleofThree » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:48 pm

I'm enjoying how the show is progressing, even if the writers can't decide if Laurel loves or hates a given character or concept, or whether or not she remembers she knows martial arts in a given scene. I think the actress is doing fine, its just tricky portraying an inconsistently written character.

I do like that they are addressing Ollie's bodycount and violence. For detractors saying Arrow is only a lower budget Nolanized Batman, the fact that Ollie kills - and has to deal with the ramifications of it - is something new the show brings to the table.

Also, Diggle!
RuleofThree
Hireling
Hireling

Postby drkrash » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:19 pm

My wife, who also really enjoys the show, says that the one thing she doesn't like is that he is a murderer. It's for the best that they are addressing it so quickly - one hopes for a transformation of character in that regard.

I also agree that Laurel has not been 100% consistent, but I'm willing to look past it. As for forgetting that she knows martial arts, yeah, I was expecting her to kick out some moves during the prison riot. That would have been cool. But really, I suppose it was more realistic that she didn't, given that she was surrounded and wearing a skirt and heels.
drkrash
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Mortium » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:31 pm

drkrash wrote: He would fit the "no powers" motif of the show.

actually, that's the one thing that bothers me... yes, Green Arrow has no powers (unless you count having near infinite amounts of money, the greatest super power of them all, so sayeth the Revenant) , but is still a super hero, but how a mere mortal interacts and plays on the same field as walking gods (Superman, Captain Marvel, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern etc, and that's just the heroes) is part of his story. Cutting off that part is foolish.
Mortium
Groupie
Groupie

Postby drkrash » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:26 pm

Just read a couple new details in this week's EW.

Huntress shows up for a 2-episode arc starting 11/28 and we're told she may be back in the future, which strongly suggests that Oliver doesn't shoot her in the face. The one pic of her in costume is not a full shot, so it's hard to evaluate, but it's not bright purple and she does use a hand crossbow.

Also revealed: Deathstroke is being played by a stunt double, so I'm thinking not much talking and more fighting. That's good and bad, I guess, but it doesn't bode well for him lasting long.
drkrash
Groupie
Groupie

Postby saint_matthew » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:39 am

just out of curiosity anyone here now playing a trickshot archer? Either as a villain or a hero?
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov
saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby kenseido » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:31 am

I am, but he was made before the show came out.
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters
kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby ghostman76 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:11 am

After the bad taste that Smallville left in my mouth, and the way this looked, I was not particularly enthused about the idea of a CW show based on Green Arrow where they were afraid to call the main character "GREEN ARROW".

I have to say though, after catching up on it, I don't think the show is all that bad. There are things that could definitely be improved (for one, the lead playing Ollie is just so stiff and wooden. Ollie has always been a mixture of old smoothie / hot tempered reactionary) and I'm not keen on how some of the bad guys are portrayed...I'm a HUGE fan of Deadshot, and while I appreciate putting him in the show, he was pretty much wasted (although at least he wasn't an anachronistic cowboy like in Smallville...sheesh, what were they thinking?)

I do think the show is getting better with every episode though, and I am involved with the story. I want to know more about Ollie's time on the island, and I'm very glad they are dealing with the ramifications of him killing people.

Provided they start calling him Green Arrow instead of "The Hood" then I think this show could be good.
"One must first experience pain in order to be able to appreciate it's absence."
ghostman76
Luminary
Luminary

PreviousNext

Return to Sidekicks Lounge