Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

[Green] Arrow TV Series

Discuss anything vaguely M&M related here, such as comics, movies, and action figures.

Moderators: The Mod Squad, The Justice League, M&M Line Developer

[Green] Arrow TV Series

Postby Kit » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:27 pm

Weirdly, it isnt a SMALLVILLE spin-off.

the news
You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
And now and then stab, as occasion serves.

--Christopher Marlowe, Edward II, Act II, Scene I
Kit
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Re: Green Arrow TV Series

Postby witchfire » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:11 am

the guy that played green arrow in smallville was great
it would've been perfect has a spin off (with the rest of the league)
:|
Some people struggle daily
They struggle with their concience
'Til the end
I have no guilt to haunt me
I feel no wrong intent
witchfire
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Kit » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:32 am

witchfire wrote:the guy that played green arrow in smallville was great
it would've been perfect has a spin off (with the rest of the league)
:|

But that would have made sense so therefore it is right out

Kit
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Postby Kit » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:35 pm

Kit
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Postby Kit » Thu May 17, 2012 12:49 pm

Kit
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Re: [Green] Arrow TV Series

Postby Kit » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:47 pm

from duplicate thread:

CaptainChaos wrote:Did anyone watch Arrow? I thought it had potential. There were, of course, plenty of suspension of disbelief moments but overall I liked it.

Kit
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Postby saint_matthew » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:37 am

Kit wrote:from duplicate thread:

CaptainChaos wrote:Did anyone watch Arrow? I thought it had potential. There were, of course, plenty of suspension of disbelief moments but overall I liked it.

I did & i got to say i wasn't impressed: I honestly felt nothing for this version of Green Arrow. I was willing to give it a go right up until the point where Ollie kills a guy, because the guy saw Ollie kick his ass & didn't want him to connect Ollie to Green Arrow, a character that didn't even exist yet.

Essentially he was depersonalised to the point where i just don't care about Ollie, or his clear as mud mission of vengeance in Starling City... Yeah you heard me: Starling City... *groan* :cry:

An already we have so many references that no one but comic geeks will appreciate & who comic geeks will probably get pissed off at. This has a lot of potential but i don't see it reaching its potential, i just see it getting stuck in that horrible position of not quite being its own thing & not quite being a comic book, but trying to appease both parties.

An needless to say, its trying to do the "being a superhero ironically" thing, that TV & movies do. TV producers, please pay attention: It is 2012, we are in an era of geek chic'. I promise people won't immediately turn off the TV, if you make a tv hsow about actual super heroes. A single glimpse of lycra is not going to crash the internet & TV.

Seriously, i'm starting to get sick of hearing about how popular super heroes are at the moment & how they are big at the movies n tv & then never seeing them in either medium (barring Young Justice of course).
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov
saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Sidious » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:40 am

I saw the previews and really only one thought entered my mind.... "pass".
Live fast. Love hard. Die with your mask on.
Sidious
Superhero
Superhero

Postby saint_matthew » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:42 am

Sidious wrote:I saw the previews and really only one thought entered my mind.... "pass".

Trust me when i say your initial idea of pass, is indeed spot on.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov
saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby freeclint » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:04 am

A Smallville spin-off would have been better than what we got.

It was odd how dark it was, I didn't get that swashbuckling liberal Green Arrow feeling from any of it.

I'll give it a shot, like I did Smallville all those years ago, as it eventually grew on me. It had ups and downs as well. Right now, Arrow can only go up.
Christian, husband, father and gamer.
My beginning character repository.
freeclint
Cohort
Cohort

Postby BedLlama » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:36 pm

saint_matthew wrote:I did & i got to say i wasn't impressed: I honestly felt nothing for this version of Green Arrow. I was willing to give it a go right up until the point where Ollie kills a guy, because the guy saw Ollie kick his ass & didn't want him to connect Ollie to Green Arrow, a character that didn't even exist yet.

Yea, pretty much this. I was absolutely fine with the show up until it becomes perfectly clear that the guy we're supposed to be cheering for is 100% OK with casual cold blooded murder. I can accept a Green Arrow that sometimes kills people in the heat of combat, but not one who snaps the neck of a disarmed goon begging for his life, and certainly not one who goes on a killing spree just to intimidate one man. I find it incredibly disturbing that the fact that he is leaving a trail of bodies in his wake is not brought up once during the course of the episode. Are we supposed to believe that all those people he shot in the chest with barbed arrows survived? Even the Rambo movies reflected on the morality of these kinds of actions, and it's kind of sad that a great character like Green Arrow is being treated with less maturity than the grandfather of 80s action flicks.
BedLlama
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Mr Mole » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:38 am

I don't particularly like any of the characters or their methods... Not really my cup of tea, but, honestly, I've seen much worse...

If I don't equate this character in any with Green Arrow, it's much less irritating... Which is something I've had a lot of practice at, thanks to the New DC reboot...

Even allowing for the possibility that all of Ollie's victims (I think the word is appropriate) survived, other than the three kidnappers... Oh, and what's-his-face's "new head of security," who seemed pretty clearly dead... He has little or no qualms about using potentially deadly force when, apparently, no violence was required at all... All he had to do was get his gizmo close to the computer to hack in and transfer the funds... You mean he didn't really need to storm the castle at all...? He couldn't've just broken in, done the same and likely could've avoided any violence at all...? And, as was pointed out previously... The deciding factor on snapping the neck of the third kidnapper doesn't seem to be that he'd gunned down an innocent bystander... It was that he jeopardized Ollie's "secret."

I'm going to give the writers some credit and assume we'll see what really happened to Ollie during his five years... While a case might be made for archery and stealth skills, five years spent alone on an island doesn't teach someone hand-to-hand combat and Russian, for starters... And even if he'd been an electronics and computer genius before his time on the island, catching up on five years of technology and building his computer-hacking arrow gizmo in a few days is pretty out there...

I'll watch another episode or two before totally giving up on this series, but it's gonna have to get good really soon...
Mr Mole
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby saint_matthew » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:12 pm

Mr Mole wrote:If I don't equate this character in any with Green Arrow, it's much less irritating... Which is something I've had a lot of practice at, thanks to the New DC reboot...

tell me about it.

Mr Mole wrote:He has little or no qualms about using potentially deadly force when, apparently, no violence was required at all... All he had to do was get his gizmo close to the computer to hack in and transfer the funds... You mean he didn't really need to storm the castle at all...? He couldn't've just broken in, done the same and likely could've avoided any violence at all...?

Yeah, apparently this version of Green Arrow has a money draining arrow.

Mr Mole wrote:And, as was pointed out previously... The deciding factor on snapping the neck of the third kidnapper doesn't seem to be that he'd gunned down an innocent bystander... It was that he jeopardized Ollie's "secret."

A secret that didn't even exist: "I must kill you for you know that i am secretly Green Arrow, someone i have yet to invent & who the public has not yet been introduced to yet... but i'm edgy, so killing you will make me seem all bad ass, because thats what appeals to the youth market according to marketing guys who still think its 1985."

Mr Mole wrote:I'm going to give the writers some credit and assume we'll see what really happened to Ollie during his five years

Question is, do you care? I don't care, i haven't been made to care. I can't summon up an iota of caring for this property at this point. I want to, but so far it has failed to impress on any level.
-Isaac Asimov
saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Mr Mole » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:55 pm

saint_matthew wrote:Question is, do you care? I don't care, i haven't been made to care. I can't summon up an iota of caring for this property at this point. I want to, but so far it has failed to impress on any level.

I can muster up about an iota of caring... Any more is gonna be a stretch...

...That, plus I have this morbid curiosity regarding the island... Stranded on an island for five years just seems somehow familiar... I mean, how can you possibly go wrong with a premiss like that...? :|

If nothing else, this show's almost guaranteed to give me a target of incessant mocking and jeering for awhile... :mrgreen:
Mr Mole
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Mortium » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:42 pm

The "secret" is that Ollie is a martial arts badass. If he's trying to maintain his secret ID as a playboy billionaire, completely incapable of protecting himself, then yeah single-handedly escaping from and killing 4(?) armed kidnappers would make that a hard sell (the fact that in at least one case the kidnapper was shot by his accomplice while being used as a human body shield is beside the point).

Did anyone else see what looked a lot like Slade's mask with an arrow through it in the opening scene?

I try to NEVER go negative on new SciFi/Fantasy/Superhero programs during the first few episodes. Seriously, go rewatch Encounter at Far Point (ST:TNG Season 1, Ep 1) for some REALLY bad writting.

It takes a few episodes for the writers, actors and directors to get a sense of who all the character are, and how they fit together. Especially after the actors get a hold of the material from the writers, who then have to start writing for the characters the actors actually portray, rather than what was origionally written.

The alternative is more Gossip Girl, Scare Tactics, The Voice, American Idol and Jersey Shore....
Mortium
Groupie
Groupie

Next

Return to Sidekicks Lounge