Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

Young Justice Animated Series

Discuss anything vaguely M&M related here, such as comics, movies, and action figures.

Re: Young Justice Animated Series

Postby DSumner » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:14 pm

Kit wrote:Anyone else catch a Robin in the dead character memorial?

Yes, I do believe that was a Jason Todd memorial.

Winter wrote:Oh yes, we debated that one quite a bit. YJ:I is moving through Robins at practically the same speed that the New 52 is. I wonder why it feels so much more natural in Young Justice?

Well, for one, when the show started, Robin had already been Robin for a few years before joining Young Justice. And from what they've shown. Tim's just taken up the roll.
"There is no such thing as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Death is certain, life is not."
DSumner
Hero
Hero

Postby saint_matthew » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:48 pm

DSumner wrote:
Kit wrote:Anyone else catch a Robin in the dead character memorial?

Yes, I do believe that was a Jason Todd memorial.

Winter wrote:Oh yes, we debated that one quite a bit. YJ:I is moving through Robins at practically the same speed that the New 52 is. I wonder why it feels so much more natural in Young Justice?

Well, for one, when the show started, Robin had already been Robin for a few years before joining Young Justice. And from what they've shown. Tim's just taken up the roll.

An we haven't moved on to Damian yet... So if we were to hypothesis that Batman recruited Dick at roughly the same time as Green Arrow recruited Speedy & make a fair guess that it was a 2 years before speedy was kidnapped, that would make it roughly 3 Robins in 10 years.

Quite a but different from 5 robins in 5 years.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov
saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby witchfire » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:20 am

sportmaster has the best "i'm a big jerk" line in this episode
Some people struggle daily
They struggle with their concience
'Til the end
I have no guilt to haunt me
I feel no wrong intent
witchfire
Zealot
Zealot

Postby DSumner » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:25 pm

witchfire wrote:sportmaster has the best "i'm a big jerk" line in this episode

Well as long as he's no punk, he's good to go. The thing is I actually hear things like this every day. I actually had a guy tell me the reason he pistol whipped, kidnapped, and shot a guy was he disrespected him in the club, "cause he kep grittin on me, and I ain't no punk." As far as Arsenal's new piece of equipment goes, is there anyone who thinks this will end well?

DSumner
Hero
Hero

Postby Arkrite » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:26 pm

DSumner wrote:As far as Arsenal's new piece of equipment goes, is there anyone who thinks this will end well?

Luthor? ;~)
Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Mr Mole » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:35 pm

Not a bad episode... But a little too predicable for my taste... I was hoping for more big surprises and twists after the show's hiatus...

Roy 1.0 taking on the Arsenal name was pretty much a given... Having previously been shown to be missing an arm, the bionic weapon-arm was also pretty much a given... Having a somewhat sour attitude toward Green Arrow goes with the name and the arm... Seeking revenge against Luthor wasn't hard to imagine... Luthor actually willingly providing him with the new arm is about the only twist, and even that one isn't exactly a first for Luthor...

Like I said, it wasn't a bad episode... Just not one of my favorites for this series...
Mr Mole
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby DSumner » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:32 pm

Mr Mole wrote:Not a bad episode... But a little too predicable for my taste... I was hoping for more big surprises and twists after the show's hiatus...

From the interview I posted a link to earlier, when they wrote the episode, they didn't know CN was going to have a break in the show. The writers thought it would have aired the very next week. And, I'll point out again, that for many people watching the show, this is all new. While you and I may know the deal with Arsenal, his arm, Cry for Justice, etc., for a lot of people this is their first exposure to them. I know it is for my son, who's asking me all sorts of questions, and googling who everyone is. I'm even going to loan him my old Infinity Inc. & JSA books so he can read up on Artemeis/Tigress, Sportsmaster, and the original Tigress.

And while I'm thinking about it, I would absolutely LOVE to see the original Infinity Inc. show up on this show, as it's readily apparent that we'll probably never see them in the Nu52 setting.

DSumner
Hero
Hero

Postby saint_matthew » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:35 pm

DSumner wrote:I'm even going to loan him my old Infinity Inc.

Yopu could always buy him the first 2 trades of the original infinity inc, DC is finally bringing out a second volume... at last.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov
saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby DSumner » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:40 am

saint_matthew wrote:

Yopu could always buy him the first 2 trades of the original infinity inc, DC is finally bringing out a second volume... at last.

I've got all the original issues, as well as the issues of All Star Squadron they appeared in.

DSumner
Hero
Hero

Postby saint_matthew » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:37 am

DSumner wrote:
saint_matthew wrote:

I've got all the original issues, as well as the issues of All Star Squadron they appeared in.

True, but there is nothing like giving a kid a trade to really spark there interest in comics.
-Isaac Asimov
saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Mr Mole » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:18 am

DSumner wrote:From the interview I posted a link to earlier, when they wrote the episode, they didn't know CN was going to have a break in the show. The writers thought it would have aired the very next week. And, I'll point out again, that for many people watching the show, this is all new. While you and I may know the deal with Arsenal, his arm, Cry for Justice, etc., for a lot of people this is their first exposure to them. I know it is for my son, who's asking me all sorts of questions, and googling who everyone is. I'm even going to loan him my old Infinity Inc. & JSA books so he can read up on Artemeis/Tigress, Sportsmaster, and the original Tigress.

I totally agree with your reasoning... But, speaking as someone who is familiar with the source material, I was hoping for something with a little more oomph... I'm not disappointed by how things turned out... I just have higher hopes for the writing on this show... It's one of a very few that delivers more often than not...

As for Infinity, Inc and All-Star Squadron, I'm a fan of nearly anything Roy Thomas has had a hand in... I don't see them fitting in particularly well with this incarnation of Young Justice, but it'd be fun to see them on screen anyway...
Mr Mole
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby DSumner » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:41 pm

Just a quick reminder that another new episode airs tomorrow at 10:30 AM EST, on Cartoon Network, here in the US.

Darkest: Black Manta has a new mission for his son: a mission that should prove once and for all exactly whose side Aqualad is on!

DSumner
Hero
Hero

Postby Rodzilla » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:47 am

Great episode!!

And as I like to say ...

"Best ... Animated Show ... Ever!"
Rodzilla
Partisan
Partisan

Postby DSumner » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:06 pm

Rodzilla wrote:Great episode!!

And as I like to say ...

"Best ... Animated Show ... Ever!"

It was a decent episode. The more I watch this show, the more irritated I become with the Nu52, as I much prefer this setting to the current DC.

DSumner
Hero
Hero

Postby saint_matthew » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:56 pm

DSumner wrote:It was a decent episode. The more I watch this show, the more irritated I become with the Nu52, as I much prefer this setting to the current DC.

I know what you mean: this show has included great storylines, a great overarching plot, solid characterisation, building up future canon & looks awesome. All things the NU52 is by and large missing.

Anyone want to hazard a guess who the lights alien partners are? I'm guessing "The Dominators." The obsession with the meat-gene, the dislike of magic, the fact that they are aliens.
-Isaac Asimov
saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

PreviousNext

Return to Sidekicks Lounge