Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

SyFy Alphas

Discuss anything vaguely M&M related here, such as comics, movies, and action figures.

Re: SyFy Alphas

Postby Jameson » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:22 pm

Hicks' & Bill's fight was pretty cool, pretty well shot, all things considered.
Forty six and two are just ahead of me.

Read my M&M product reviews here
Jameson
Luminary
Luminary

Postby GrayPumpkin » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:49 pm

Jameson wrote:Hicks' & Bill's fight was pretty cool, pretty well shot, all things considered.

Yup, it was also a good fight the first time they mixed it up.
GrayPumpkin
Superhero
Superhero

Postby saint_matthew » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:33 am

Oh. My. God!

That was freakin' brutal. Poor Garry though.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov
saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Sojobo » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:11 pm

Things are just getting better and better.

I was also genuinely surprised when Garry flipped out on that tactical trooper... not at ALL expected.
Sojobo
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Psistrike » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:03 pm

Sojobo wrote:Things are just getting better and better.

I was also genuinely surprised when Garry flipped out on that tactical trooper... not at ALL expected.

Yeah, the tactical trooper ticked me off. Shoots an unarmed woman and then gets hit with a combat baton while he is wearing tactical armor. So he decides to shoot the person hitting him, yeah. That is an appropriate response. :roll:
Psistrike
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Jameson » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:03 pm

I was pretty iffy on this show when it started but the past few eps really solidified the vision and showed a huge leap in quality over the early season. Looking forward to more.

Jameson
Luminary
Luminary

Postby tomorrow » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:30 pm

I've grown to like this show more and more as its progressed.

The Anna thing was harsh as I thought she'd make a cool reoccurring character, but I liked the ending though.
tomorrow
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Jameson » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:41 am

One of the things I'm most impressed with is how the writer's and Ryan Cartwright were able to evolve Gary over the season.

Jameson
Luminary
Luminary

Postby badpenny » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:08 am

I've liked the show very much. The only hiccup for me is the morph power. They've gone out of their way to pigeonhole themselves and say the powers are neurological in origin. I don't buy the morph power in this light. It wasn't an illusion/suggestion that he looked like Rosen, he became Rosen. That someones body could completely be reshaped is far out of bounds for this origin paradigm. However, that being said, it's only a minor detractor.

I do like the body count. It makes it feel very real world and that really to keep the show fresh, some of the main cast should be put up on the chopping block from time to time. I know TV loves their core cast, but if you set up the fact that people are not invulnerable (like Spooks/MI-5 has done so well) you can keep a show's vitality strong. New cast members, new personalities, new powers, new stories to tell.
badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Kelvin » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:45 pm

I thought Anna was the target she was getting to friendly with the enemy. I think the F.B.I. trooper was the immortal.
Kelvin
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Jameson » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:37 am

This is not good.

Ira Steven Behr is out as show runner for 2nd season. In, is Eureka showrunner Bruce Miller. I have nothing against Eureka, I rather like it in fact, but those two shows are nothing alike and Behr had really turned Alphas around from the weak pilot.

*sigh* I hate SyFy

Jameson
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Cinder » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:19 am

This show has been pretty great this year.

The new characters are solid, the development of the big bad has been good and the existing characters' subplots have been brought along nicely.

In all it seems that they are really hitting their stride.
Cinder
Hero
Hero

Postby Cinder » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:24 am

badpenny wrote:They've gone out of their way to pigeonhole themselves and say the powers are neurological in origin.

Do you still think that they are maintaining the neurological justification?

I think that it is now a more evolutionary advance, be it mental or what have you.
Cinder
Hero
Hero

Postby Mr Mole » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:35 pm

Latest episode was absurdly predictable... Watchable, but predictable and cliched, almost start to finish...

SPOILERS:
Yes, of course Hicks was undercover... And, yes, of course Parish had a mind reader on hand for security... And, yes, of course Nina'd hypnotized Hicks so he'd beat the mind reader... And, yes, of course Dani died a heroic death... Ad nauseum...

Now, naturally, Hicks is free to reunite with Nina... And, I'm not sure, but was Nina holding Dani's hand when she told her "don't die" and Dani died...? I can entirely see events transpiring where, due to an unforeseen interaction between their abilities, Dani's psyche has now jumped into Nina's body, making for a shared living arrangement... Lots of tension and drama, especially where Hicks is concerned... Then there's the inevitable power creep, where everyone's Alpha ability evolves to the next level...

Not to say that the show isn't okay... It's just not Shakespeare... :roll:
Mr Mole
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Cinder » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:05 pm

Mr Mole wrote:It's just not Shakespeare...

Most shows are not. Have not seen the most recent, but the one prior with Rosen's daughter's betrayal was really well done. They took their time with his angst, while moving the subplots along, instead of rushing to the conclusion. Plus Strathairn is a great actor.

Mr Mole wrote:Watchable, but predictable and cliche

I think what has made the show good recently is that it handles things that we, as comics fans, see as cliches well. My point is, many things that seem cliched to us are not that way to the general public. For instance, I recently posted rules from Mutant Growth Hormone in the 1610 universe. Low and behold the trope appears in the aforementioned episode. To me it was familiar territory handled well. To some it might have been a new cool idea.

On a related note, I loved Ledger's performance, but the Joker being a force of nature-like character that just wants to watch the world burn was nothing new to me. To some it was a revolutionary presentation of the character. But really, it's a decades old idea. Just handled incredibly well.

NOTE: I'm not comparing the Alphas to Dark Knight, I'm just using it as an example.
Cinder
Hero
Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Sidekicks Lounge