Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

The new Doctor Who [SPOILERS]

Discuss anything vaguely M&M related here, such as comics, movies, and action figures.

Moderators: The Mod Squad, The Justice League, M&M Line Developer

Re: The new Doctor Who [SPOILERS]

Postby Mr Mole » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:27 am

One thing I've learned from Doctor Who is that I can't predict what's going to happen... I love that... :mrgreen:
Mr Mole
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Promethean » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:55 am

So far I'm seriously underwhelmed by this new season of Doctor Who.
It's had its moments, certainly, but overall it's felt a bit off, like soda pop that's gone flat.
As for the question of Oswyn Oswald? Has it occurred to anyone that the show could go with the idea of a twin? Or, perhaps in the future, if someone dies under mysterious circumstances, they can be resurrected using cloning tech and brain-tapes. Maybe, and this is really out there, the Doctor slips back to the Dalek Asylum before its destruction, rescues Oswyn and reverses the Dalek conversion process.
Promethean
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Kit » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:45 pm

Goodbye, Ponds.
You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
And now and then stab, as occasion serves.

--Christopher Marlowe, Edward II, Act II, Scene I
Kit
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Postby Mr_Raven » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:17 pm

Thank god shes gone , Pond was the most annoying ginger annoyance on the planet....Rory, the greatest sidekick since Rose paradoxically made great by Pond...shame.

Roll on Christmas...
if you cant do the time , dont do the crime
Mr_Raven
Comrade
Comrade

Postby saint_matthew » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:24 pm

Mr_Raven wrote:Roll on Christmas...

wait, 5 episodes and then a break? What where you to #$%^ing lazy to give us an entire season. RAR! GEEK RAGE! FANBOY SMASH PUNY LAZY DIRECTOR! :x
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov
saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby King Snarf » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:03 pm

saint_matthew wrote:
Mr_Raven wrote:Roll on Christmas...

wait, 5 episodes and then a break? What where you to #$%^ing lazy to give us an entire season. RAR! GEEK RAGE! FANBOY SMASH PUNY LAZY DIRECTOR! :x

They've been splitting it up. They show a couple of episodes now, and then after the Christmas Special, probably January or February, they'll finish up the season.
Arriba Flight es muy macho!

Visit my blog! http://teentemplars.blogspot.com

Visit my author page!
King Snarf
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Kit » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:25 am

I'm just hoping we get a full proper 13 episode series in 2013 in addition to the 8 held over eps from this series. Its really the least they could do for the 50th anniversary.

Kit
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Postby King Snarf » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:16 am

Kit wrote:I'm just hoping we get a full proper 13 episode series in 2013 in addition to the 8 held over eps from this series. Its really the least they could do for the 50th anniversary.

Oh, they already did, but the TARDIS exploded, something timey-wimey happened, and they got erased from existence.
Arriba Flight es muy macho!

Visit my blog! http://teentemplars.blogspot.com

Visit my author page!
King Snarf
Paragon
Paragon

Postby death tribble » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:13 am

What started as a joke in a Motivational Poster became the real thing. The Statue of Liberty as a Weeping Angel. Mr Moffitt is very bad indeed.
But nice to see Michael McShane back at work and in an earlier episode Steven Berkoff.
Dangerous when cute
death tribble
Disciple
Disciple

Postby greycrusader » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:35 pm

Kit wrote:Goodbye, Ponds.

The Doctor kept saying "once we've seen it/read it/etc" then we have to do it, no choice, impossible to change...except last season, Amy, River Song, Rory, and the Doctor himself all saw an older version of the Doctor literally die...and the Doctor found a way to subvert all that, using a clever subterfuge and advanced technology. Previous to that, Rory and the Doctor encountered a 60 yr old version of Amy, but were still able to retrieve the young version.

In this one, all the Doctor and River had to do was fabricate a book and a gravestone and presto-no paradox involved in restoring Amy and Rory to the present day. I understand real world events drove the storyline (the actors are leaving the show) but this was pretty sloppily written in a number of ways.

The Ponds may have the most tangled timeline in the history of the show.

All my best.
The Contingent: When all other super teams fail...
greycrusader
Superhero
Superhero

Postby saint_matthew » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:55 pm

greycrusader wrote:
Kit wrote:Goodbye, Ponds.

The Doctor kept saying "once we've seen it/read it/etc" then we have to do it, no choice, impossible to change...except last season, Amy, River Song, Rory, and the Doctor himself all saw an older version of the Doctor literally die...and the Doctor found a way to subvert all that, using a clever subterfuge and advanced technology. Previous to that, Rory and the Doctor encountered a 60 yr old version of Amy, but were still able to retrieve the young version.

In this one, all the Doctor and River had to do was fabricate a book and a gravestone and presto-no paradox involved in restoring Amy and Rory to the present day. I understand real world events drove the storyline (the actors are leaving the show) but this was pretty sloppily written in a number of ways.

The Ponds may have the most tangled timeline in the history of the show.

All my best.

Um, you do know that they aren't stuck there right. I think they have the temporal manipulator from River Song. After all we saw a future version of Rory & Amy during the dinosaur episode in the past season, which would indicate that they somehow got themselves out of that time period & we know that the temporal manipulator is small enough to slip through. We also know that at some point before the library she loses it & she doesn't appear to have it with her at the end of this episode.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov
saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Kit » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:59 pm

Hell, they could just wait around til 1939 and then the Doctor could go get them. It's not liked New York City is completely time-locked to him. And nothing stops something else from pulling them through time and space for a special episode ala The Three Doctors or The Five Doctors.

but..the actors were leaving the series, so we had to write them out. Still better than a lot of other companion exits.

Me, i like to think they became a kick-ass P.I. and her faithful nurse companion.

Kit
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Postby greycrusader » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:48 pm

Kit wrote:Hell, they could just wait around til 1939 and then the Doctor could go get them. It's not liked New York City is completely time-locked to him. And nothing stops something else from pulling them through time and space for a special episode ala The Three Doctors or The Five Doctors.

but..the actors were leaving the series, so we had to write them out. Still better than a lot of other companion exits.

Me, i like to think they became a kick-ass P.I. and her faithful nurse companion.

Yeah, obviously the real reason the Doctor and River Song can't go back for them is because the writers/directors decided it was time for a new companion, but I think I would have preferred a more straightforward departure. Perhaps Amy could have ended up getting pregnant or the Ponds' adopting a child, and then deciding to simply stay put on Earth. This would have avoided all the logical plot-holes and been less convoluted (and goodness knows, I can get convoluted in my own humble writing efforts when I try to get too "clever").
greycrusader
Superhero
Superhero

Postby greycrusader » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:49 pm

BTW: I'd watch a River Song solo series in a heartbeat, though only if still played by Alex Kingston.
greycrusader
Superhero
Superhero

Postby StarHero » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:08 am

There is a theory I've seen on other boards that I like,

The time period they were zapped to is when a young Melody Pond is wondering the streets of New York, found her and raised her themselves.

I'm sure someone can find some loop hole to kill this theory but its one I like. Makes for a good reason why the Ponds would not find some way to get back to the Doctor.
StarHero
Hireling
Hireling

PreviousNext

Return to Sidekicks Lounge