Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

Muslim superhero, Simon Baz, joining Green Lantern lineup

Discuss anything vaguely M&M related here, such as comics, movies, and action figures.

Re: Muslim superhero, Simon Baz, joining Green Lantern lineup

Postby Darrin Kelley » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:17 pm

King Snarf wrote:Remember when it was just Ganthet, and then Judd Winnick brought the Guardians back as little children and Ganthet was raising them and they had cute names for each other? I wish they had done more with that.

It would have been much more positive. For certain.

After the Guardians are defeated, what is actually even left of in the Green Lantern franchose to challenge the characters? I keep seeing the end of the franchise.
Darrin Kelley
Zealot
Zealot

Postby DSumner » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:56 pm

K.G. Carlson wrote:
DSumner wrote:Geoff killed off Tempest, but the name Aqualad was already up for grabs, as Gar hadn't used it in forever.

True, and I don't mean to disrespect the new Aqualad; as you stated, he was an interesting character who unfortunately vanished under the New 52 reboot. But since Gar was long past being Aqualad, his unnecessary death suspiciously close to the new Aqualad's debut was disappointing..

Oh, don't get me wrong, I thought it was stupid to kill of Gar (for some reason it seemed as though TPTB at DC had a vendetta against former TT and JLers from a certain more humorous time).

K.G. Carlson wrote:Yeah, tbis abrupt change in direction with a new, edgy, topical Green Lantern smacks of cheap exploitation, like Alan Scott's new preferences.

Come on, a comic company unnecessarily making changes to existing characters, just to hype it up and boost sales. Say it ain't so. :wink:
"There is no such thing as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Death is certain, life is not."
DSumner
Hero
Hero

Postby DSumner » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:58 pm

Darrin Kelley wrote:After the Guardians are defeated, what is actually even left of in the Green Lantern franchose to challenge the characters?

The next big crossover event, that's what. I'm sure it'll require you to buy no less than a dozen books, that you don't normally buy, just so you can figure out what's actually going on. As well as providing DC with another sales boost for the first quarter of next year.
"There is no such thing as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Death is certain, life is not."
DSumner
Hero
Hero

Postby King Snarf » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:30 pm

Darrin Kelley wrote:
King Snarf wrote:Remember when it was just Ganthet, and then Judd Winnick brought the Guardians back as little children and Ganthet was raising them and they had cute names for each other? I wish they had done more with that.

It would have been much more positive. For certain.

After the Guardians are defeated, what is actually even left of in the Green Lantern franchose to challenge the characters? I keep seeing the end of the franchise.

Remember the New Guardians? I bit Geoff Johns is thinking, "You know, I COULD make them all cool and modern and edgy...!"
Arriba Flight es muy macho!

Visit my blog! http://teentemplars.blogspot.com

Visit my author page!
King Snarf
Paragon
Paragon

Postby K.G. Carlson » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:48 pm

DSumner wrote:The next big crossover event, that's what. I'm sure it'll require you to buy no less than a dozen books, that you don't normally buy, just so you can figure out what's actually going on. As well as providing DC with another sales boost for the first quarter of next year.

I can't say whats going on at Marvel, but my impression of DCs Big Events for the last five years or so is that you don't actually need the tie-in titles to get the main story. For budgetary reasons, I am long past getting all the tie-ins anyway, but the titles that I normally collect connected to the Big Event only in term of theme really; nothing happened in a side title that explained doings in the main story.

Even the exception, during Final Crisis, the surprise "extra" villain in the 3D Superman 2-parter didn't really matter to the main mini-series.
"More powerful than a locomotive...and about as subtle!"
--Joker

Say goodbye to gravity, say goodbye to death
Hello to eternity and live for every breath
-The Wicker Man, Iron Maiden
K.G. Carlson
Zealot
Zealot

Postby JetstreamGW » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:10 pm

King Snarf wrote:
Darrin Kelley wrote:Third Army? One simple thing to say about that. Guardians have to die! Guardians REALLY have to die!

Remember when it was just Ganthet, and then Judd Winnick brought the Guardians back as little children and Ganthet was raising them and they had cute names for each other? I wish they had done more with that.

It also made it super creepy when he started a romantic relationship with Sayd!

Yay! You're your girlfriend's surrogate father!
JetstreamGW
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby Thorpacolypse » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:04 pm

saint_matthew wrote:
DSumner wrote:I don't have an issue with DC trying to add a little more diversity to its comics, when it's done well, and not forced down people's throats. The perfect example of that was the new Aqualad (who'd gone missing in the Nu52). He was a well written, well developed character, with an interesting backstory, and the didn't suddenly kill off, or have an existing character suddenly go nuts/turn evil, just to introduce him.

If it werewell done, we wouldn't notice it at all. The fact that DC keeps on announcing this crap weeks before the actual announcement, is stupid twice. Its stupid once because it preempts there actual announcement & its stupid the second time by having an announcement. Stop trying to beg for praise & recognition DC, just do it & actually make it work.

As much as my dying idealistic side agrees with, the world weary old crabby in me knows this is just how it is. Their families gotta eat, too, and the sad truth is, if it moves a few more books to the lesser invested fringe fans, which it sometimes does, this will never go away.

I don't mind the hype and the change too much, but they better give a really good freakin' explanation for the gun, or I'll drop the book, too. As it stands, it looks out of place and WAY too 90's. And yet Liefeld is gone...go fig...
Shop J-Mart!

Service with a smilie! :)
Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

Previous

Return to Sidekicks Lounge