I want capers

The only place to discuss Super-Powered by M&M products.
fletch137
Bystander
Bystander

I want capers

Postby fletch137 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:02 pm

It seems like most M&M products are more collections of heroes and villains. Truth is, I don't WANT more heroes or villains.

What I REALLY want is more capers. I was a huge fan of Lame Mage's stuff (Day of Dr. Null, fer instance, or the Evil Genius books). Is there anybody publishing more products like that with plots and disasters for my PC heroes to stop rather than just providing me stats for another villain or hero group?

Sketchpad
Zealot
Zealot

Re: I want capers

Postby Sketchpad » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:48 am

The Acts of Villainy line has "Schemes" in them. While not a full-blown adventure, it gives you a framework for using the villain in an encounter that could be used as a full night adventure or an encounter in an evening's larger scenario. Schemes started in Issue #12 (Magnum) and have continued every issue after. We do have plans on releasing an Acts of Villainy: Schemes product, but to be honest, it's going to be a few months at least.

DSumner
Hero
Hero

Postby DSumner » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:07 pm

fletch137 wrote:It seems like most M&M products are more collections of heroes and villains. Truth is, I don't WANT more heroes or villains.

What I REALLY want is more capers. I was a huge fan of Lame Mage's stuff (Day of Dr. Null, fer instance, or the Evil Genius books). Is there anybody publishing more products like that with plots and disasters for my PC heroes to stop rather than just providing me stats for another villain or hero group?

I'm wondering if anyone's considered converting some of the adventure supplements previously published for games like V&V or Champions, as some of them should be easy enough to convert over and publish.
"There is no such thing as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Death is certain, life is not."

Black Mamba
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Black Mamba » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:42 am

DSumner wrote:
fletch137 wrote:It seems like most M&M products are more collections of heroes and villains. Truth is, I don't WANT more heroes or villains.

I'm wondering if anyone's considered converting some of the adventure supplements previously published for games like V&V or Champions, as some of them should be easy enough to convert over and publish.

I have converted many Champions characters. They are not difficult to theme into M&M. It is really just a question of assigning the PL range you need for them to be useful against the characters in your game.
In this world of armchair bloggers, who've created a generation of critics instead of leaders, I'm actually doing something. Right here. Right now; for the city. For my country" - Oliver Queen, Smallville

Sketchpad
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Sketchpad » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:24 am

DSumner wrote:

The only problem with converting over older adventures is licensing. Thematically, you could use some of the same ideas, but publishing over a module solely and publishing it would infringe on copyrights.

Black Mamba
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Black Mamba » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:12 am

There are so many copies of all those old V&V and Champions adventures in circulation that all someone really needs to do is provide write-ups for the characters and post them on the forum. You can pick up the actual printed books on eBay and in many used book stores for only a couple of bucks and then just substitute the M&M write-ups in.
In this world of armchair bloggers, who've created a generation of critics instead of leaders, I'm actually doing something. Right here. Right now; for the city. For my country" - Oliver Queen, Smallville

Foreshadow
Hero
Hero

Postby Foreshadow » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:57 am

I've stated that question a few times. In fact, the best approach is the following: make a caper and insert a villain with a more general name like Crazy Clown, and if you like Joker or some other similar villain from freedom city, DC or Marvel you can easily enough modify and insert. The base idea for the caper is useful, and that is the 'work' you the writer are doing for us the consumer. So get to work writers, earn your money.

Yes, that means you can in fact write for a setting like freedom city, marvel, DC, whatever. You simply don't use the actual copy write stuff but if a Costumed Adventurer meets with the Commission of Police to thwart Fat Umbrella (the penguin knock off) who partners with Blue Goblin so that you blend a bit of Marvel and DC, or just go with a pure DC theme. Or you can do a more freedom city based caper

The Hero League or Next Generation of heroes faces Smart Ape and his collection of minions or Minotaur, who is at the center of a Labyrinth organization as you an use these since Steve and GR appropriate what are public domain concepts. So use those concepts too.

Sure it would be great if GR would just do a book of capers set in freedomverse (emerald city or freedom city), much like they have been doing a powers and now gadgets series, and then compile it. That requires more work from them I suppose. Technically, they have that though, if you look at the backgrounds of the various villains you can take that as a seed for adventure. Assume the character doesn't exist in the freedomverse and the player characters first encounter The Collective, much like the Atom Family did, and use the entry in the freedom city book as the seed for your Caper. Green Ronin could do that by simply fleshing out those entries into fully fleshed out snippets of freedomverse history. The GM can then cut/paste what heroes face the same villain, or like I mentioned with using that villain or cut/paste another villain of the same archetype since many or most of these villains are all based on archetypes.

In other words, make your capers for archetypes and assume archetypes for heroes if you need them. You'll take Mad Scientist for the catalyst for the adventure much like the Dr. Null was used for the super-link product. I could replace Dr. Null for TO Morrow or Dr. Silvana or Mad Thinker, or The Wizard, or a couple of freedomverse 'mad thinker' type villains.

That would be a worthy product series of pdf's.

There you go writers, house of ideas has spoken, So Mote it Be. Yes, I do write my own, but I see on here many like Viligence Press who ask 'what do you want to see', and that's it. a series of caper pdfs. Yet, someone stated once that adventures don't sell as much. Saddly that might be true but that is the past. Now with the advent of the cheap pdf series like we see with gadgets or powers or single villain like GR has done perhaps revisiting and testing the waters so to speak is needed.

If you keep with the idea of capers written for archetypes you can't go wrong more than likely. The Joker and Red Skull are both of the same archetype, and each is very different, and crazy in different ways, and evil, but a caper that involves blowing up a bunch of Poison Gas that transforms the people into twisted visages works for either villain and they are from completely different comic universes. Same goes for a hero, who work on archetypes. So write an adventure with a Paragon or Costumed Adventurer in mind.

Black Mamba
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Black Mamba » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:44 am

The Superlink norm seems to be to publish material full of characters. It might be interesting to see these character PDFs include two 1-3 page mini-adventures you can use with the character. They do not need to be elaborate, just give us something more involved than the typical 1-2 paragraph Hook/Caper idea - take the 1 paragraph caper and fully develop it into a 1-3 page mini-adventure. I would think the players would be as motivated to have the mini-adventure as they are the character. It seems like a double-win to me.

RJStewart
Bystander
Bystander

Postby RJStewart » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:12 pm

Interesting, in seeing this as my own company gets started on our first book.

It's not just superlink's norm. most of what I've seen have been more information books (characters, npcs, weapons, equipment) for a long time.

But seeing this thread has us thinking along the lines of maybe rethinking and tossing a baseline introductory adventure into our first few books we have planned.

I think for many though, the idea is that GM's got away from the 'running a module' when 3.0 of D&D came out. there weren't many modules put out anymore with the OGL blow up. Most thought GM's wanted to just have the info for the characters and they'd take it from there and do their own thing.

But really, sometimes a GM needs a little help there too, sometimes a little one shot or an adventure that could cover a couple sessions can be a nice break too while still being able to play the same characters (and take some work off the GM to build their next masterpiece)
TaleSmith Productions now working on their first products
Into the Maelstrom!
Link in my profile to our website.

fletch137
Bystander
Bystander

Postby fletch137 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:22 pm

Foreshadow wrote:Yet, someone stated once that adventures don't sell as much.

I can only give my own shopping habits here. The only S-PbyM&M products I've bought have been Ben Robbins' M&M adventures. He won me over with his free "Battle on the Bay Bridge" and I got everything he put out after that. He hit that exact spot balancing interesting capers with re-usable rules which make each pdf usable well past running it as an adventure.

Conversely, I've only bought one single hero/villain collection (Crooks! 'cause Erik Mona's awesome).

Looking back thru my old Champions collection, some of the best books were those which introduced a villainous or NPC group ALONGSIDE 3-9 adventures involving them. "PRIMUS and Demon", fer instance, or "Zodiac Conspiracy." Less-favored books were the single-use adventure featuring the writer's pet hero team (ie "VOICE of Doom" or "To Serve and Protect").

If you've published something like those, or are planning to do so, please let me know. I'm your market.

Return to “Super-Powered by M&M”