Beacon City METAs- From Vigilance Press!

The only place to discuss Super-Powered by M&M products.
Shadowchaser
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Re: Beacon City METAs- From Vigilance Press!

Postby Shadowchaser » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:55 am

monele wrote:Good to hear! What's the roster like after the last minute changes? I quite like the characters who have been shown so far (here and in the gallery). Are all of them in this upcoming release?

We've dropped the characters Gaia, Cat, and Wulf (per their creators's request). The rest of the original characters remain.

From memory: Mictantlocan, Kotetsu, Dream Girl, Ratched, Viridian (PL10 version), Kid Awesometastic, Mister Block, and Stormbreaker.

There's also the introductory article by Jack Norris and some flavor text by various authors peppered through the book. :)
James Dawsey, Owner and Publisher of Vigilance Press

Look for Vigilance Press on RPGNow.com and Drive-Thru RPG!

Or check out our website for free previews and podcast links!
http://www.vigilancepress.com/

monele
Henchman
Henchman

Postby monele » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:23 am

As a latecomer, it seems like I missed the removed ones anyway, so I won't miss them, eh? (um)

Can we expect a book along the lines of Elements of Ruin?

Shadowchaser
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Postby Shadowchaser » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:28 am

monele wrote:As a latecomer, it seems like I missed the removed ones anyway, so I won't miss them, eh? (um)

Can we expect a book along the lines of Elements of Ruin?

Yep, Elements of Ruin is going to be a large-scale project, and we're probably going to kickstart that sometime later this year. We're planning some other stuff before that, however, along some other lines, that'll be quicker to produce. :)

(Edit- We have a project coming up called Rogues, Rivals, and Renegades that's already in first draft form and we'll be ordering art for it very soon)

monele
Henchman
Henchman

Postby monele » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:20 pm

I should have expressed myself better. What I meant: is Beacon City METAs going to be similar to the already published Elements of Ruin - The Challengers? (aka a small repository of heroes)

Jameson
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Jameson » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:54 am

What kind of timeline for the other characters that don't make into the first METAS volume? I admit a vested interest as I chipped in to have a character made, but I also have an interest in the form of "timely return on a crowd funded project" bent as well.
Forty six and two are just ahead of me.

Read my M&M product reviews here

Shadowchaser
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Postby Shadowchaser » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:54 am

Jameson wrote:What kind of timeline for the other characters that don't make into the first METAS volume? I admit a vested interest as I chipped in to have a character made, but I also have an interest in the form of "timely return on a crowd funded project" bent as well.

I'll be sending out an email to folks who participated soon, but I was trying to wait until METAs was published. As it's taking so long to get the revisions done, however, I may move that forward.

Jameson
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Jameson » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:09 pm

Ok, sorry to put you on the spot.
Forty six and two are just ahead of me.

Read my M&M product reviews here

Shadowchaser
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Postby Shadowchaser » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:29 am

Jameson wrote:Ok, sorry to put you on the spot.

No worries, Marc!

In fact, I'm happy to announce that the METAs book, issue one is live and up at the RPGNow store!

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/112384/Beacon-City-METAs-Issue-01

I'll be making a post below about the future of Beacon City METAs in a little while, but I wanted to wait til people checked their emails and responded a bit before posting something publicly. In short, the METAs project has been fun, but difficult, so we're going to be changing things up going forward to make things easier for everyone... and change the nature of the series a little. I think anyone who picks up this first issue will see how great it can be, and should expect nothing less than this from upcoming issues. :)

For those who contributed to the METAs project, please check your emails and make sure your spam filters haven't eaten anything from me today. There are coupon codes and an important email announcement for you. :)

-James Dawsey
Vigilance Press

Shadowchaser
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Postby Shadowchaser » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:34 am

monele wrote:I should have expressed myself better. What I meant: is Beacon City METAs going to be similar to the already published Elements of Ruin - The Challengers? (aka a small repository of heroes)

Oh! Sorry, I missed this-

METAs will be a small collection of player-submitted characters, heroes and villains, and will have an article by Jack Norris. Unlike The Challengers, it won't be a free product (unless you were a member of the original customers who helped fund the project). On the plus side, it has GREAT art, GREAT writing, and some really fun characters (Kid Awesometastic rocks my Lego world!).

The price is only 4.99, though, so that's not too much to ask for a 28-ish page project, is it? :)

-James

Shadowchaser
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Postby Shadowchaser » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:45 am

Beacon City METAs is live, and has now been updated to include the Hero Lab files for the characters! We also fixed a typo in the "Bring on the Bad Guys" article, so feel free to re-download the PDF.

Thanks for being a part of Beacon City METAs!

You can find the product in the RPGNow Store by following this link!

Ramsey
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Ramsey » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:08 am

I'm considering picking this up, but I'm not completely convinced yet.

Can anyone who has it give a short summary or maybe just share their thoughts on this product?

Black Mamba
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Black Mamba » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:39 am

Ramsey wrote:I'm considering picking this up, but I'm not completely convinced yet.

Can anyone who has it give a short summary or maybe just share their thoughts on this product?

The first third of the book discusses different types of villain concepts - the not-exactly good, the bad, the truly evil, and so on - and then goes on to shortly discuss how to run a villain campaign. It talks about the type of activities that would earn a villain a Villain Point - there is some really interesting things in there, IMHO.

The remainder of the book gives you 6 hero examples who you can throw at your villain team - though with some minor tweaks they would make good villains. There is also a write-up for a major villain, as well. The last page has full-color fold-ups which you can print out and then use as paper miniatures.

I thought it was a really fresh take on things. It gave me some perspectives into villains that I did not have before - and gave me ideas how I can even allow NPC villains to earn Villain Points without needing to give the heroes Hero Points via Complication. Even though I have no immediate plans to run a villain campaign I found enough information within to make it useful in my regular hero campaign. The hero examples have a good flavor and the villain example would work in just about anyone's campaign. I have zero regrets for buying the PDF.
In this world of armchair bloggers, who've created a generation of critics instead of leaders, I'm actually doing something. Right here. Right now; for the city. For my country" - Oliver Queen, Smallville

Shadowchaser
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Postby Shadowchaser » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:05 am

If you're not completely convinced, you can download our free preview product, "Elements of Ruin: The Challengers of Beacon City" and check out Jack's writing on that, and some artwork by Alex Williamson with colors by yours truly. It should give you an idea of the quality you can expect
from our paid products, though as a preview from a work in progress it doesn't have the same structure of one of our self-contained projects. :)

You can find The Challengers here: http://www.rpgnow.com/product/105218/El ... hallengers

In any case, Beacon City METAs is, for the page count, probably the most affordable product I've released since taking over Vigilance Press. It's only 4.99 for 28 pages! :)

Ramsey
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Ramsey » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:42 am

No need to give me the whole song and dance, James. I know what your products are like. :P
As a matter of fact, I already have bought the Oktobermen, Black Chapter and Six Gun.
While I can always use more villains to throw at my players I wasn't entirely sure if your new product was something I'd use, so I wanted to hear what people thought about it.

Thanks for your summary by the way, Mamba.

Shadowchaser
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Postby Shadowchaser » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:14 am

Ramsey wrote:No need to give me the whole song and dance, James. I know what your products are like. :P
As a matter of fact, I already have bought the Oktobermen, Black Chapter and Six Gun.
While I can always use more villains to throw at my players I wasn't entirely sure if your new product was something I'd use, so I wanted to hear what people thought about it.

Thanks for your summary by the way, Mamba.

Cool beans! :) I didn't want to try and summarize the book because Mamba had done such an excellent job. I asked Jack to come in and write the article "Bring on the Bad Guys" after we'd decided to downsize the first issue of METAs (due to multiple concerns, primarily fan submissions not coming in on deadline). I wanted to add some content that everyone could use, so the book wouldn't just be about fan heroes they wanted to show off. Later, to fill in some white space in the layout, we had Aaron Sullivan and Rick Jones step in and drop some flavor text into the layout that acts as a preview, of sorts, for Rogues, Rivals, and Renegades. The "METAs" organization will be behind the file formatting for that book.

Return to “Super-Powered by M&M”