The Algernon Files Lives!!

The only place to discuss Super-Powered by M&M products.
Ed
Henchman
Henchman

The Algernon Files Lives!!

Postby Ed » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:32 am

I saw this on Aaron Sullivan's blog a week or so ago.

Check it out and if you're interested, let someone know so this project grows wings and moves forward.

The Algernon Files and AF: Fires of War were some of my favirote M&M sourcebooks for 1st and 2nd edition. A third Edition update would be a major boost for my game.

http://www.aaronsullivan.net/2013/09/algernon-lives/
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

DSumner
Hero
Hero

Re: The Algernon Files Lives!!

Postby DSumner » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:50 pm

Oh hell yes! Sign me up as a backer right now. 8)
"There is no such thing as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Death is certain, life is not."

HustlerOne
Zealot
Zealot

Postby HustlerOne » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:07 am

Both Algernon Files books were some of the best for 2E. So possibly getting a 3E version with
new content is great news to hear. It's a shame heroes will be dropped in favor of more villains.
Although, I wouldn't mind if some of those villains had some shades of grey to them.

DSumner
Hero
Hero

Postby DSumner » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:21 am

Both Algernon Files books were, and still are, on my list of favorite gaming supplements, and I can't recommend them enough. From the preview pics, it looks as though there are going to be some interesting new additions added to the mix.

SignalGK
Bystander
Bystander

Postby SignalGK » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:56 am

I really enjoyed the background and would love to see more of the 2e material updated for 3e and released - some of the heroes actually made for excellent background and/or made fun villains. I would hope they'll also include herolab files for the characters.

Any idea when the kickstarter's likely to be? :twisted:

DSumner
Hero
Hero

Postby DSumner » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:38 pm

I'm wondering who makes the cut for the revised edition? From the sketches we know six of the previously mentioned villains that will be in there. Other villains and groups like the Cybertribe, Dollface, the Eight Fold Web, and the Starbreed showed up in the third edition Threat Reports, and The House that Pain Built is popped up in Paragons. I'm hoping to see groups Paingarden, the Slaughter House Six, and The Parliament of Shadows.

DSumner
Hero
Hero

Postby DSumner » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:31 pm

I just love this pic

BONEYARD

insaniac99
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby insaniac99 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:29 am

I'm sold, now I just need to pay enough attention that I can get it when it comes out...

DSumner
Hero
Hero

Postby DSumner » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:16 pm

I'm hoping Aaron will stop in here and give us some sort of semi-official word on what his plans are.

Aaron Sullivan
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Aaron Sullivan » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:05 am

Thanks, guys.

That’s really very flattering. No, seriously. It warms the trap-laden cockles of my blackened, withered little heart. Especially considering how long it’s been since a new Algernon Files product has been on the shelves.

Despite some finished art and my constant chugging through write-up after write-up, the project is still actually in its early stages and a lot of decisions still have to made because of scheduling and financial factors. Blackwyrm is the funding source ultimately, and RPG materials are always risky. Art is expensive, as is printing, and the market is tremendously unpredictable. I think there will probably be a Kickstarter campaign.

I think.

Doesn’t mean it will actually happen, just means it’s a possibility.

Dave would seriously like a physical product to take to Gen Con 2014. Doesn’t mean it will actually happen, just means it’s a goal we’re working toward.

There might be two volumes, or it might be a better idea to break the material out as numerous smaller volumes (12 volumes of 25 pages each would be a MUCH smaller risk than a single 300 page monster, for one extreme example). Yeah, there’s that much material; currently, my work list fluctuates around 96-100 entries comprising close to two hundred characters, with slightly more than half of those entries being characters or teams previously undetailed.

Doesn’t mean it will actually happen, just means it’s a under consideration.

Things I can tell you:

There will be some characters and material previously alluded to in my scattered postings over the years. Now, in all frankness, I work in weird ways. Ideas for characters and scenarios and other material are always coming to me. Always. Whether I want the stuff to or not. I keep several notebooks where I write all this stuff down. Over the years, as other projects for other companies have come up, in and among the original-to-that-specific-project stuff I dream up then and there for whoever is paying me, occasionally idea-shaped holes that previously existing stuff in my head fits into pop up and I’ve parsed out those ideas to fit those holes as I felt appropriate. That means that, yes, some originally Algernon Files -intended material has shown up in other companies’ products over the years (Paragons and Threat Reports from Green Ronin, the upcoming Rogues, Rivals, and Renegades from Vigilance Press, for just a few examples). Some ideas have changed over time, or I’ve re-assessed how some connections and narratives needed changed for a variety of reasons. Just because I mentioned a character as attached to some set of details back in 2006 or so doesn’t mean that a lot of things in my ideas for that character haven’t changed in the intervening years. As the brief opening fiction will starkly show, there’s been an Event™ in the background that lets me tweak and revise to my heart’s content.

No, not Nu52-brand revisionism— unlike DC’s editors, I actually like and respect the material I use, and I see no reason to cater to the lowest common denominator by cranking up gratuitous tits, ass, clay feet, general tawdry sordidness, and mutilations (lord but Geoff Johns has some very disturbing preoccupations).

It’s villains (and rivals and other complications) only. And there have been some changes to some of the recurring characters. Why? Some elements, in retrospect, don’t work for me or my “vision” (a pretentious word, but still accurate) of that character any more. Again, in all frankness, I’m unlikely to ever actually compile a self-contained setting book in all its glory. That project just doesn’t inspire me. So, in an effort to make things more adaptable to those GMs and players who use existing settings, I’m tweaking text and details of recurring characters to make them more easily fit in to “Undefined Setting X.” I’m specifically modifying descriptions and background so we no longer have specific ties to existing NPC heroes and heroic NPC organizations. You want to have been the original sparring partner and recurring nemesis for Villain X instead of Speed Demon or Hardcore? Go for it. Now, the text will leave that spot open for you. Characters appearing for the first time (and there are many) will be presented in the same fashion. Think in terms of a soft reboot that gently (I hope) excises NPC heroes from the mix, cleans up some messy details in existing backgorunds, and overall just presents fresh and very usable shiny NPCs for you to enjoy. That’s why the book is aimed at being an adversary compilation. The goal is that every character or team presented is available for your GM (or you if you’re the GM) to use to complicate PC lives in entertaining ways with only the bridging material you choose to use and a minimum of fuss. If other characters are mentioned in a write-up, they’re also in the book so you don’t have to fill in work to make use of them. No space is wasted on heroes you’ll never need and that your GM will likely never use. GMs don’t really need new heroes to steal PC spotlights or page time anyway. They do need a deep bench of interesting people to have thrown at them in a variety of ways. Maybe, if the Kickstarter route is pursued, NPC hero write-ups may be a stretch goal. But currently, its people that present obstacles for your heroes to overcome and you now know the reasons why. (Also, I needed the page space. So. Many. Entries.)

Cool new art. Alex has really thrown himself into re-envisioning some of the older characters that Derrick originally did, and his art for the new guys and old alike just rocks so damn hard. I find it difficult to choose favorites because I like everything he’s producing. Each entry will get usable backgrounds and descriptions aimed specifically at helping GMs and players integrate the NPC in question into a campaign regardless of setting, including plot hooks. Pretty 3rd edition stats will be there in what I hope is a clean, uncluttered, and easily usable fashion. Also, thanks to Jon and James being such swell fellas, I even have permission for the occasional sidebar giving advice on using this and that character in Emerald or Freedom City (Green Ronin), or Beacon City (Vigilance).

As decisions are finalized and the project progresses, I’ll try to keep this thread updated (emphasis on “try,” as I’m an infrequent visitor here about and a disgustingly busy guy regardless) though I will always keep my own website current with any available new there (no new posts regarding TAF 3.0 means no new news). Once I know better what format will get used, I’ll likely start posting the list of characters being included (per book or volume).

Again, thanks for the interest, and I hope the final product doesn’t disappoint.
Aaron Sullivan
Wordmonkey for hire. Will supply own humor and poo for the flinging...

DSumner
Hero
Hero

Postby DSumner » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:40 am

Aaron, thanks for popping in, and letting us know your plans. No matter the final format, I think everyone here will be happy to see new material, and finally get a chance to see some of the previously mentioned villains.

DSumner
Hero
Hero

Postby DSumner » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:59 am

Oh, and before I forget, here's a link to the Blackwyrm Games forums - http://www.blackwyrm.com/index.php?module=Dizkus

Aaron Sullivan
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Aaron Sullivan » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:48 pm

Aaron Sullivan

DSumner
Hero
Hero

Postby DSumner » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:07 pm

Very nice indeed. 8) I do have a question though, has it been decided if the new version will printed in full color?

Aaron Sullivan
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Aaron Sullivan » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:36 pm

I believe that's the plan. The only reason the 1st and 2nd ed books got B&Wed was cost and minimal operating budget at the time....no longer a consideration. Besides, do you think Dave would shell out for art like this and then lose the color for printing? Egads.
Aaron Sullivan

Return to “Super-Powered by M&M”