Ex-Heroes by Peter Clines

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.
Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Ex-Heroes by Peter Clines

Postby Libra » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:32 pm

Another one? Steve Shepherd and the Bradley family will be glad of the company. :D
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

Tam-Rael
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Tam-Rael » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:53 pm

Ex-Patriots was a better plot overall in my opinion. Not that Ex-Heroes was bad, it simply suffered from the typical beginning of the story thing a lot of series do.

I have a bet with a friend of mine about whether or not book 3 will feature a religion based plot. I'm saying yes, he is saying no.

Juding by the titles of the first and second books and the fact that 'excommunication' is a religious term, I think it is a strong possibility.

It could be interesting to see another group of survivors, possibly with their own supers, led by a charismatic 'holy man' in what amounts to a holy war against the Mount.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:54 pm

HAHA, awesome pun!

Tam-Rael
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Tam-Rael » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:57 pm

Odds are I'm completely off the mark, guess we'll just have to wait for the release to find out.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:59 pm

But yes, here's some thoughts I have on the group.

Maybe Peter will give us a hint since I mentioned the thread to him.

PL level: I actually think the superheroes of the setting should be PL 10 by the events because, while they're relatively low-powered by the nature of comics books, they seem about accurate for extremely experienced zombie hunters as well as survivalist leaders. Before the events of the main part of the comic, I'd put them at about 8 PL. We even see a power up for Saint George.

Theme: The big issue I see with the setting is that the superheroes very much loom over the regular zombies and a single bite can kill someone. So, really, the only possible antagonists who aren't mooks are going to be superheroes (or humans) who were converted to being zombies.

Gangs: I'm not sure whether it's a theme or just that gang in particular but it's interesting they're depicted as purely evil as they are.

I expect any game based around the "Ex" universe would be about trying to survive as long as possible with as many human survivors as you can.

Tam-Rael
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Tam-Rael » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:22 pm

Charles Phipps wrote:But yes, here's some thoughts I have on the group.

Maybe Peter will give us a hint since I mentioned the thread to him.

That would be nice.

Charles Phipps wrote:PL level: I actually think the superheroes of the setting should be PL 10 by the events because, while they're relatively low-powered by the nature of comics books, they seem about accurate for extremely experienced zombie hunters as well as survivalist leaders. Before the events of the main part of the comic, I'd put them at about 8 PL. We even see a power up for Saint George.

That sounds about right.

My question is how would you handle tech oriented heroes like Cerberus? There is no industrial base to produce high-tech components and parts after the collapse.

My game would allow the hero to maintain the suit normally. Upgrades would be tricker. I lean toward letting them go as normal, but saying that the upgrades are rather obvious and jury-rigged looking.

Charles Phipps wrote:Theme: The big issue I see with the setting is that the superheroes very much loom over the regular zombies and a single bite can kill someone. So, really, the only possible antagonists who aren't mooks are going to be superheroes (or humans) who were converted to being zombies.

As long as your heroes aren't invulnerable for some reason, they are just as vulnerable as ordinary folks are where a bite is concerned.

Charles Phipps wrote:Gangs: I'm not sure whether it's a theme or just that gang in particular but it's interesting they're depicted as purely evil as they are.

Most of the 17s weren't evil imo, just PZ and his higher-ups. As Stealth pointed out, most of them had turned to the only available protection without realizing what they were getting into.

Charles Phipps wrote:I expect any game based around the "Ex" universe would be about trying to survive as long as possible with as many human survivors as you can.

Well yeah. To me the question should be how far are you willing to go to survive? Just look at 'The Walking Dead' for the answer to that one.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:29 pm

My question is how would you handle tech oriented heroes like Cerberus? There is no industrial base to produce high-tech components and parts after the collapse.

In the setting I imagine either the superhero has powers which allow them to do impossible things or just hand-wave it as, "TONY STARK MADE THIS IN A CAVE WITH A BUNCH OF SCRAPS!"

:-)

But yes, depending on how you want to run it the PCs might want to run with "my armor is running down and I angst over it" themselves rather than have the GM enforce it.

As long as your heroes aren't invulnerable for some reason, they are just as vulnerable as ordinary folks are where a bite is concerned.

Yeah, the lethality of a zombie bite in Ex-Heroes is a big deal-though. Admittedly, the players will probably come
up with the "tarp costume solution" pretty quickly.

Well yeah. To me the question should be how far are you willing to go to survive? Just look at 'The Walking Dead' for the answer to that one.

Yeah, lots of potential options with superhumans as rival godkings or having gone insane.

Tam-Rael
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Tam-Rael » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:21 pm

Charles Phipps wrote:In the setting I imagine either the superhero has powers which allow them to do impossible things or just hand-wave it as, "TONY STARK MADE THIS IN A CAVE WITH A BUNCH OF SCRAPS!"

:-)

But yes, depending on how you want to run it the PCs might want to run with "my armor is running down and I angst over it" themselves rather than have the GM enforce it.

Heh, fair enough. I love that line.

I most likely would not tell the players they will be in a zombie setting when the campaign starts. I would prefer to have the apocalypse play out in game and let the players know that they failed to save the world and then have to try to pick up the pieces.

That should provide a sufficient level of angst don't you think?

Charles Phipps wrote:Yeah, the lethality of a zombie bite in Ex-Heroes is a big deal-though. Admittedly, the players will probably come
up with the "tarp costume solution" pretty quickly.

Tires and some good canvas are all you need to make some reasonably effective body armor. Cut the tires into half inch or so wide strips and attach the strips to the canvas. Cut to fit the major bite points (forearms, calves and shoulders mostly) and your good to go. The rubber strips are hard enough to resist any normal zombie bite and broad enough to reduce or negate bite pressure damage to the wearer.

Not perfect but reasonably effective and easy to make from abundant materials.

Charles Phipps wrote:Yeah, lots of potential options with superhumans as rival godkings or having gone insane.

Yeah, it can be a fine line between protecting and enslaving.

Techno
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Techno » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:32 pm

You know, I just picked up (and finished) the first book about a week ago and have just done the same with an e-book of the second and the instant I put Ex-Heroes down I thought to myself "I wonder if anyone on Atomic Think Tank discussed turning this into a campaign setting?"

I like the series so far. Characters are (generally) at a power level I find more interesting and lampshade both genres enough to make it almost hilarious at times. Legion's a reasonable enough villain, though I hope he retires for a spell if he shows up in Ex-Communication. His power is enough to be a threat but... well okay, I got to give him credit for the trick he pulls in the Ex-Com preview. Yet even still I find him kind of boring as a villain. His method of attack so far seems to be to surround a walled settlement from multiple sides and force the defenders to split their efforts. Which while effective, how many times can you pull the same trick?

As for the mechanics... going more off 2nd edition then 3rd here, but I wouldn't really put them at PL10 until the end of the first book/start of the second with the exception of maybe Zzap, the group's resident Dr. Manhattan. But that's just my two cents. Otherwise, yeah the core team seems to keep to the standard archetypes more or less. Cerberus/Battlesuit, Stealth/Crimefighter, Captain Freedom is probably a Powerhouse, and so on. Only unusual ones build-wise are The Driver (machine possession) and the two villains (Legion and Agent John Smith.)

More relevant at least from my perspective is how do you plan on handling limited resources like food or ammunition? They're always scavenging for food (even with several gardens) and Stealth has ammunition strictly regulated in the Mount.
"I like to call it 'slugs for thugs.'" - Cyclone

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:26 pm

Ex-Communication is out now.

Techno
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Techno » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:43 pm

I know, I just held off on reading it so far because I know it will go fast and I wanted to work through some of my other reads first.

So, anyone want to make bets on how long before Clines introduces a plant controller into the mix?
"I like to call it 'slugs for thugs.'" - Cyclone

Gazman
Hero
Hero

Postby Gazman » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:47 pm

Loved this series! Supers + zombie apocalypse = Supers vs zombies. Not super zombies, Marvel Zombies.

I just finished Ex-communication and had to check if anybody on the Think Tank had done anything with this terrific setting yet. Because I pretty much implanted M&M directly into my thought processes I kept thinking things like:
Did Stealth buy the Mount as a headquarters or is everybody splitting the cost?
Barry is a PL above everybody else.
Oh, cool power stunt, Gorgon.
George just spent a whole bunch of PP didn't he?
Damn that agoraphobia Complication! HP for Cerberus.
Interesting Limited on Agent Smith's power. Actually, probably just a quirk.
Oh my god! The Sorenson family story is heartrendingly sad.
Hahahaha! Barry is awesome.

The last two have nothing to do with M&M, but are totally relevant.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:11 pm

Great questions!

Tam-Rael
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Tam-Rael » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:37 pm

I wouldn't normally post a link to another game system, but this one is too relevant.

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/118954/Rotted-Capes

I don't care for the game mechanics, but the setting gives me a lot of ideas.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:18 am

Dang, Peter Clines (who I know personally), is cranking these books out like an assembly line.

http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogsp ... eview.html

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Settings”